The VG Resource

Full Version: Criticism on my GBC sprites?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Could you post your thoughts on my GBC sprites? I'm kinda slow, but here is a W.W inc microgame :
[Image: Xc9hjHJ.png]

I'm planning to do more, but I just need to see if there good in other people's opinions.
Ummm… This look more like a simple recolor of already existing sprites from Wario instead of something you created yourself.
(01-20-2014, 03:55 PM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]Ummm… This look more like a simple recolor of already existing sprites from Wario instead of something you created yourself.

I didn't' copy/paste/recolor these. I made it custom, and the only thing close to that would be using a reference image.
And also -- The original took up the entire of the GBA's screen, & this does the size of a GBCs.
The flame on the end of the fuse looks more like a bunch of... triangles stuck together than actual fire.
Also, those numbers (3, 2, 1) are really blocky.
(01-20-2014, 05:59 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]The flame on the end of the fuse looks more like a bunch of... triangles stuck together than actual fire.
Also, those numbers (3, 2, 1) are really blocky.

I never noticed that. Thanks. XD
k, I'm-a back!

This time I did Kirby GBC that (kinda) looks like kssu. thoughts?

[Image: gbc_kirby_v2_by_quirbstheepic-d75moih.png]
The Kirby sprite doesn't seem to keep its shape very well. I know Kirby's a squishy guy, but he usually keeps an elliptical shape. For instance, that one where he's striking some kind of pose just before his cheer frame looks like he's melting. Also, the background arm should be held a bit more forward.
It's weird. For a while, Chrome didn't let me get in this page because it appeared to have a malware or something...
I re-uploaded your sheet to Imgur and replaced the link in the OP with that -- in the future, please avoid using SmackJeeves as it seems to be triggering people's malware alerts on Google Chrome.
Still Alive!
Kirby now keeps his shape in all the sprites. I could'nt fixed the "melted sprite though; i did a comparison to the original and they look TOO ALIKE AUGH.
so.....yea.
[Image: gbckirbyv3_by_quirbstheepic-d77bg3v.png]
Kirby's body seems to stretch out sideways too much, even for classic Kirby standards. Also, his idle makes it seem as if he's looking upwards-- I know you based it off the KSSU sprite, but since that Kirby has longer eyes, it doesn't give that effect.

The "mouth full" sprites look strange...the legs look too close together, but this is, in part, because you made his body thin out after the arms, instead of keeping its round shape. Kirby is basically a sphere, so the shape of the body itself should be even throughout. In fact, I'd recommend to just draw a perfect circle and append the other parts according to the pose you are trying to accomplish.

Generally, your outlines are too sharp, try to make them smoother.

[Image: Cepx6rr.png]

Here, I took the liberty of doing a couple of edits to illustrate. Hope this is useful somehow.
I used your example sprite and edited the "mouth-full" sprites. Does it look better? ^^'
[Image: gbckirbyv4_by_quirbstheepic-d77gaad.png]
As a matter of fact, yes. That said, the other sprites have problems, too.
First row: Kirby's arms are too pointy, last sprite has an unusual corner on the top left of Kirby's head/body.

Second row: Crouching Kirby; the top of his head/body goes flat all of a sudden, where it should be more of a horizontal ellipse (stretches as much up as it does down, and as much right as it does left). His leg has a strange shape on the second to last frame, and the back part of his body doesn't seem round on the last frame (as if somebody took a bite out of him or something.)

Third row: The first couple of sprites seems to be leaning forward a little too much. On the last pair (i.e. floating), his body seems uneven at the bottom once more, and his arms aren't exactly round. Also on the last sprite, the top of his head isn't smooth at all-- in fact, all of the corners are kind of angular.

Fourth row: For the first sprite, arms don't seem like limbs, more like they're just growing out of his head; also, his feel seems to be growing out of a strange angle. For the second sprite, His body isn't round once more, and the visible arm is pretty much rectangular.

Fifth row: For the sucking animation, his arms are rectangular once more. The defending pose is a little better, but the arm still strikes me as too square. Same with the slide. : |

Hopefully that covers it. Again, Kirby seems like the sort of character you ought to sprite by parts. Don't lose heart!
I edited each sprite sentence by sentence.
I made him rounder in the ares you said, and added some new sprites also.
[Image: gbckirbyv5_by_quirbstheepic-d77piqm.png]
[Image: XKZLDPf.png]

Here are some guidelines you should apply to most of the sprites, I've just used these two as an example.
Pages: 1 2 3 4