The VG Resource

Full Version: nVidia enters the handheld fray: The Shield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Stolen from NeoGAF.

Nilaul Wrote:[Image: gUtnV.png?1]

Logo Disclamier: Its was designed by me and its a placeholder.
To nvidia: If you want to use this really bulky logo, contact me and lets discuss business Tongue

Shield Recap:

:: Named Shield (codenamed: Thor)
:: Runs on pure android (no bloat-ware or skins)
:: Games are download from: "NVIDIA TegraZone" and "Google's app store"
:: No retail games
:: No exclusive games were announced yet.

:: Tegra 4 (72 cores)
:: Has a bloody heatstink of some sort in a portable
:: Most powerful mobile console (atleast that what he said)
:: It can play 4k videos and "drive" 4k TV sets (that what he said)

:: Shaped like a controller
:: 5-inch, 720p Retinal multitouch display with 294ppi pixel density
:: The 5 inch touchscreen has a customizable plate
:: Custom bass reflex system with tuned ports for sound.
:: Controls are all the controls a gamer would expect (pressure sesitve triggers, clickable sticks etc.)
:: Micro SD support.
:: Audio out, Hdmi Out, USB support.

:: Battery lasts from 5-10 hours while gaming or 24 hours of HD video playback (according to verge)
:: Can stream [B]from PC (like WiiuTab from Wiiu), and then can stream that same image to your TV (PC streaming requires a router)[/B]
:: Could also to cloud gaming (much like any other mobile/tablet)
:: Does local multiplayer wireless.

:: No price, storage announced
:: Coming out Q2

Site: http://shield.nvidia.com/

[Image: i6PAT.png]
[Image: Pp0BD.png]
[Image: SbpiN.png]
[Image: 1RHAL.png]

This teaser was not a video but a realtime render which run on Shield.
(Its probably the only "graphics demo" of shorts)
[Image: TdAV8.png]

Tegra 4 example game: Dead Trigger 2. (not built up for Shield but made for Tegra 4)
Edit: Its seems to be more likely a multi-platform game, most likly going come out iOS and older androids. like the first Dead Trigger.

[Image: vld2327.jpg] [Image: vld2343.jpg] [Image: vld2350.jpg]

Console playing all ready available android games (nothing made up from ground up for it yet)
[Image: vld2500.jpg]

[Image: vld2511.jpg]

[Image: vld2517.jpg]
Seems pretty cool, I think.

Something I don't really get though, aren't most android games developed with a touch screen interface? What good is a handheld with buttons for playing touch screen games?
That is one ugly hand held, ugly enough to the point that I wouldn't want to be seen using that thing.
So it's basically a dreamcast controller that has a large TV screen to go with it.

I'll pass.
first impression: very bulky
The device itself is very interesting, but man is it one ugly device.
I don't think it's that ugly but it does look pretty uncomfortable to hold and/or carry around in your pocket.
It looks like it's gonna suffer from the same problems the GB's competetors had: Too bulky, drains power too fast, and doesn't look comforting for your pocket.

This includes: The Game Gear, the Ngage (which like the Sheild, it was ugly to look at), the Lynx, the Neo Geo Pocket Color(?), and the list goes on.

And there's a reason why the battery drained too fast on some of them: You were too hooked to pay attention to change the fucking things, and back then there was no battery indicator that you were running low, and uses a lot of electricity to power some of these things.
The audience this is targeted at already have PCs... and laptops...
When the fuck did Android Gaming become the next big thing?
I don't think it is, indies and companies just seem to be jumping on it... madness
These Android projects are most likely hopping on the bandwagon of OUYA's successful Kickstarter, with a basic mindset of "hey, OUYA's Android-based and that got funded many times over, so if WE do some Android bullshit or whatever, folks'll eat that up too!".
I think android is so popular because the fan-base can't admit iOS is better and thus make a lot of noise.
That's like saying Mac OS is better than Windows (swap them or replace either or both with Linux if you want) - it's pure preference. They all do there job in one way or another.
I thought nVidia just made graphics card and published (or supported or whatever) certain games. They should stick to that.

In general it doesn't look too uncomfortable, but yeah it's pretty bulky.
Pages: 1 2