The VG Resource

Full Version: Spriting Exercise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well hello everybody. As you can invariably tell I'm pretty new here, and I don't have a whole lot of experience in pixel art. I've always liked the medium and I've dabbled a bit from time to time, but it's not something I'm particularly confident in and I want to get better. Anyway without further ado here's my latest attempt:

[Image: UHMi2.gif]

I think it's a good start, but I just don't know what to do with that baggy shirt . I'm not certain how make that simple shape interesting. The attempts I made earlier just made it confusing and cluttered, but as is it just doesn't match the level of detail in the face and hair. Also I feel like the palette could be punched up a bit.

What do you guys think?
first of all, I'm having trouble in what perspective he's supposed to be at. Is it isometric? Is it 3/4 view? The pose is awkward and makes it kinda ambiguous for me. To tell if a pose is good, try mimicking the character and stand the same way he is. If it is uncomfortable for you, chances are it'll be for him too. Try a more natural pose. Flipping the drawing also reveals balance issues, so try it (if you still can't see it, he's leaning back way too much.

His anatomy is broken in several places due to the weird pose, buy you appear to have notion od jagged lines and colors. Just be aware about the random selout (broken outlines in places such as near his chin). It's better to either outline it fully OR not outline at all. I'd also try to simplify his hair a bit, as it's a mess of pixel clusters with some banding (banding is when a darker color follows the outline. It can be bad if in excess; see his hidden arm for another example of it).

Otherwise, I don't see any glaring problems. Many of the terms and definitions can be seen in the Sprite Dictionary thread sticked in this section, so give it a look. I hope to see more from you.
Let's see tweaked the form a bit. I'm still getting the hang of portraying figures in pixel art, I think I might need to simplify a bit more.

[Image: Zabez.gif]
if the lightsource is in the top-right corner, then the shading on the pants is wrong
the lighter part should be the thigh

otherwise, try to make the border between the pants and shoes more noticable

also, are you french ?
i'm actually having a hard time reading his pose. suposedly the character is on a very relaxed pose, but it doesnt feel natural at all.
Hmmm, I might need to try redrawing the body from scratch, and approach differently. Use different shapes for the figure. Otherwise everything looks alright though? I was actually most worried about the color palette.

And to Lexou, Duck I'm not French in actuality I am Spanish. I just think Vins-Mousseux makes a good username.
Tried something a little different, used a different stylization for the figure.

[Image: hLytY.gif]
i like the sprite, but it lacks definition because of non-contrastant colors in some parts. Increase it in order to make things more readable.
Hmm, how's this, basically just bumped the colors up a bit.

[Image: oQZZw.gif]
hmm, the no-outline style damages readibilty imo

you could maybe have selout just to differentiate the different parts of the sprite, especially the ones that are at a different depth (example : the sword/thigh ; waist/shield)
It's looking pretty good dude! It's just, you're only using two colors for shading each individual part. Combine colors and use more for shading, apply some anti-aliasing to help with that sharp shift in contrast, and some specular highlights never hurt. ;D
the colours you have taken for the shoulder are almost the same and need much more contrast! The sword uses colors with not much contrast too! then other pieces liek the helmet have too many contrast when compared.
Alright tweaked it a bit. Look a little better?

[Image: mSQRh.gif]
The white and bright green on the sword are too close to each other. You could probably get rid of the lightest green, since it's very close to both the white and the next darkest shade.
I don't know if it is just me, but I just feel like that character looks like she has no neck. Maybe its the puffy shoulders or the lack of face... or maybe its the lack of sleep catching up to me.
Pages: 1 2