The VG Resource

Full Version: Devil May Cry bores me...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(10-12-2012, 12:25 PM)Kriven Wrote: [ -> ]No you didn't. People have a right to bitch when someone presents a totally different character and tries to convince you it's the same character you know and love.

If the game is fun and good, that's great, I might even like it. Don't you dare tell me that this bloke is Dante, though.

I'd bet that the only reason for the redesign in Devil May Cry (Sorry, DmC, omagawd so ekstreem) was to distract people from the fact that it's been handed off to a studio that has yet to release a single good game.

BE MAD ABOUT THAT.
(10-15-2012, 07:21 PM)Rai Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-12-2012, 12:25 PM)Kriven Wrote: [ -> ]No you didn't. People have a right to bitch when someone presents a totally different character and tries to convince you it's the same character you know and love.

If the game is fun and good, that's great, I might even like it. Don't you dare tell me that this bloke is Dante, though.

I'd bet that the only reason for the redesign in Devil May Cry (Sorry, DmC, omagawd so ekstreem) was to distract people from the fact that it's been handed off to a studio that has yet to release a single good game.

BE MAD ABOUT THAT.

I WAS TOO BUSY BEING DISTRACTED BUT NOW MY EYES ARE OPEN AND I'M ANGRIER!
Strange, when I showed this to meta he thought otherwise. I guess it's the aesthetic?

Back On topic: With the whole DMC thing I'm really not suprised how similar DMC's case is with Duke Nukem Forever.. or was that another game? Dunno, but with shit like this it's not really suprising to me anymore.
(10-15-2012, 07:21 PM)Rai Wrote: [ -> ]

BE MAD ABOUT THAT.

I have no idea why Heavenly Sword gets so much hate (IGN failed to mention the block system so I assume they didn't know how to block) but regardless, Enslaved was an awesome game. It's story and characters were utterly amazing so with the budget they have now plus guidance from the 'awesome' capcom I have faith in them.

Dante was well... not much of a character. He had the badass thing in the first 2 games (even if the second game was kinda meh) but in the third one he was too ott it might as well have been a different character and was only really the kind of 'cool' 10 year olds beat-off to. Yes he was younger but urgh, when I first played that game I was seriously annoyed with how stupid he was. He took a backseat in 4, and was outshined by Nero (who was much more fun to play as) as Dante was just the 'play it again sam' guy. The current Dante's character (not appearence dear angry people) looks kinda like DMC 3's Dante, but hopefully not to the same extreme.

I like DMC, hell I watched the anime, PAID for the anime - and it was utterly crap. But 4 felt old, the first and second games have aged beyond being playable and 3 (as awesome as a game as it was) seemed to be scripted by kids sniffing glue. The rich story and history the world had to show had been limited in it's accessibility. DMC needed a reboot, not a DMC 5, and Ninja Theory knows how to make characters. If you're going to write off a game with such potential simply on a character's appearance then that's just dumb. If MMX came out and it was just meant to be the same MM (I know X and MM aren't the same, that's besides the point) sure people would think it was odd, and maybe wish they hadn't messed with the character but I don't think people would hate the game, or refuse to play it.

Now if the game sucks, well that's an entirely different matter, and then, and only then (as we did with Crash Bandicoot) may we hate the redesign justly.
I just hate the redesign because, if I remember correctly, the game's director had it based so Dante would look like him (I think it was the director). It's not the fact that they changed his looks that I hate, it's that the guy was like "Nope, it's gotta be me. I want it to be ME killing monsters and saving the world!"
Thread split. Resume your DMC discussions in this thread please.
Devil May Cry is awesome, ALL OTHER OPINIONS ARE NOT WELCOME AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.
Just kidding, hey I disagree, personally I love the DMC series but I can see how others may not like it Wink
I've only played DMC3 and seen my brother play 4.
I like Dante, be it for his over-the-top stereotype badassery, I don't care.
I don't like Nero, because he's basically Dante 3, but with different powers and personality. Kinda like Silver the Hedgehog in a way.
But the worse has to be the new design of Dante. They, along with their redesigned Dante, can die in a fire for butchering his appearance. At least SEGA had the decency to stay true to Sonic (and co.)'s features when they redesigned them for Adventure. Devil Trigger or not, Dante should never, ever, ever have black hair! (If I somehow missed him having black hair in the original quadrology, I'll take it back).
I don't even get where they're getting at with 'Hollywood standards'. That has to be the stupidest direction to take! Seen Hollywood movie adaptations of videogames? Then you'll know what I'm talking about.
End of rant.
(10-17-2012, 06:52 PM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: [ -> ]I've only played DMC3 and seen my brother play 4.
I like Dante, be it for his over-the-top stereotype badassery, I don't care.
I don't like Nero, because he's basically Dante 3, but with different powers and personality. Kinda like Silver the Hedgehog in a way.
But the worse has to be the new design of Dante. They, along with their redesigned Dante, can die in a fire for butchering his appearance. At least SEGA had the decency to stay true to Sonic (and co.)'s features when they redesigned them for Adventure. Devil Trigger or not, Dante should never, ever, ever have black hair! (If I somehow missed him having black hair in the original quadrology, I'll take it back).
I don't even get where they're getting at with 'Hollywood standards'. That has to be the stupidest direction to take! Seen Hollywood movie adaptations of videogames? Then you'll know what I'm talking about.
End of rant.

I actually like the new design a lot, he still gets white hair when in devil Trigger mode, and it kind of shows a more human side to him I think. Also what's wrong with black hair >:I
goemar, i'm not sure you "get" devil may cry. like, really, really don't get it.

Quote:Dante was well... not much of a character. He had the badass thing in the first 2 games (even if the second game was kinda meh) but in the third one he was too ott it might as well have been a different character and was only really the kind of 'cool' 10 year olds beat-off to. Yes he was younger but urgh, when I first played that game I was seriously annoyed with how stupid he was.
The whole game is absurd, and it's completely self-aware of that fact; it doesn't have Dante fight a mob of demons while munching on a slice of pizza because it's completely and totally unironically badass. The whole premise of the scene is ridiculous, and the game treats it with a kind of self-awareness; it knows that it is ridiculous and as such pushes it as far as it can. It doesn't treat it one-hundred-percent seriously, in the way that, as you purport, 10-year olds would beat off to (also, dude, that is not an okay mental image), and coming to that conclusion is only feasible if one simply looks at a transcript of things that happens in the cutscenes and decides to leave it at that, content, because they "know what happens".

simply put: dmc3 is not at all like metroid prime 3 having a monster fall off a space station (through space (uh)) and get hit by a passing space ship and then explode.

also, i'm not going to pretend dante is a Really Great Character with interesting development - he's not - but saying he "isn't a character" is kind of blatantly false considering there is a coherently defined personality and a semblance of development.

Quote:Enslaved was an awesome game.
you know, a good friend of mine played that game.

he said the following:
Quote:its characters are ugly (despite the environments being pretty), the story's overhyped with regards to how good it is, it's mostly just good guys fighting bad guys and one of the good guys falls in love with the other ones (except maybe the ending, that was a slightly interesting direction they went there, i'll admit that), the combat is boring and mechanics that would completely change the flow of battle are unlockables, so they can't actually work them into the game in case the player doesn't buy them, and the platforming is a joke, you can literally just hold forward and mash X until the end
it's a "realistic" platformer which means that you basically climb a bunch of rungs on a ladder and you hold the stick in the direction of the next rung (which is always forward (always)) and press X and the rung lights up btw
near the end there's some things that actually require the tiniest, smallest degree of basic thought and skill and timing to them, barely
but it's literally
RIGHT at the END
the very last chapter of the game
which isn't very long
also you have an assload of health so you can kind of just shrug off the mistakes you make during those sections so actually they don't really matter anyway
imagine if mega man x had to be designed with wall clinging as an optional unlockable
that's what enslaved's combat is

i don't know if i'd go so far as to say the characters are ugly: but there's definitely nothing positive that stands out about the designs
Quote:I have no idea why Heavenly Sword gets so much hate (IGN failed to mention the block system so I assume they didn't know how to block) but regardless, Enslaved was an awesome game. It's story and characters were utterly amazing so with the budget they have now plus guidance from the 'awesome' capcom I have faith in them.

the reason heavenly sword gets so much hate from just about everyone has nothing to do with the blocking. the game had okay art direction that actually aided it's conveyance of the game world
things the game did not have: a good combat system
it's one of the few times i'll agree with yahtzee entirely on something but heavenly swords combat system is a lot of hitting buttons and watching mariko flounder in directions and swing her Things around in pre set patterns that don't really alter your strategy or matter at all.
I ask this as someone who never played the originals and only experience with DMC is the demo I played of the new one at PAX Prime this year: how immaturely vulgar was Dante in the originals? From what I read or heard about DMC, Dante always seemed more classy. Cocky, sure, but not yelling cuss words left and right, which is what he seemed to act in the demo that I played, (same went for the enemies and bosses that actually talked, though I can believe they were originally like that as well to an extent). I dunno, maybe that is Dante's personality, or maybe it can be explained by him being younger but it just felt like swearing for the sake of swearing like we were in the early 2000s again.

I will say that I did like the combat and the fact that it's kind of technical and would take some work to master and do good combos and stuff. Didn't grasp the point of the guns though, never saw a point in juggling people in the air with millions of bullets if it barely does any damage and you have to either jump or wait for them to fall down to hit them again anyway or let them drop to hit something else. Were the originals different? Maybe someone can enlighten me here.
That wasn't really a trait that Dante had in the other games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtiXwvni6ng
(10-17-2012, 07:09 PM)Hevy Devy Wrote: [ -> ]I actually like the new design a lot, he still gets white hair when in devil Trigger mode, and it kind of shows a more human side to him I think. Also what's wrong with black hair >:I

There's nothing wrong with black hair. A great deal of my favorite game characters have black hair. There's just something wrong with Dante having black hair.
This is how I identify Dante:
White hair, red coat, swords and guns.
Even if the new Dante were to look like the classic Dante in Devil Trigger, that doesn't justify his redesign.
Imagine Mario shaving his moustache. It makes sense if it's Baby Mario, but a grown up Mario without a moustache isn't Mario.
As my gaming penis or something isn't big enough for you I don't know why I'm bothering to answer these but here it goes...

(10-17-2012, 07:41 PM)PrettyNier Wrote: [ -> ]goemar, i'm not sure you "get" devil may cry. like, really, really don't get it.

Who'd had thought that... man...

(10-17-2012, 07:41 PM)PrettyNier Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Dante was well... not much of a character. He had the badass thing in the first 2 games (even if the second game was kinda meh) but in the third one he was too ott it might as well have been a different character and was only really the kind of 'cool' 10 year olds beat-off to. Yes he was younger but urgh, when I first played that game I was seriously annoyed with how stupid he was.
The whole game is absurd, and it's completely self-aware of that fact; it doesn't have Dante fight a mob of demons while munching on a slice of pizza because it's completely and totally unironically badass. The whole premise of the scene is ridiculous, and the game treats it with a kind of self-awareness; it knows that it is ridiculous and as such pushes it as far as it can. It doesn't treat it one-hundred-percent seriously, in the way that, as you purport, 10-year olds would beat off to (also, dude, that is not an okay mental image), and coming to that conclusion is only feasible if one simply looks at a transcript of things that happens in the cutscenes and decides to leave it at that, content, because they "know what happens".

simply put: dmc3 is not at all like metroid prime 3 having a monster fall off a space station (through space (uh)) and get hit by a passing space ship and then explode.

I know that DMC3 knows it's ridiculous (I think this is given away at about 2 seconds into the game), but I just didn't like that direction. It was a great game but from having playing the first 2 I never expected Dante to kill demons while eating pizza. DMC 3's direction was like a strange parody of it's own series and it isn't a direction I'm fond of. If anything his character was more redesigned THEN as it has been now.

(10-17-2012, 07:41 PM)PrettyNier Wrote: [ -> ]also, i'm not going to pretend dante is a Really Great Character with interesting development - he's not - but saying he "isn't a character" is kind of blatantly false considering there is a coherently defined personality and a semblance of development.

My point is Mario is a more interesting and well developed character, and he never says anything (okay he sames whoo hoo, lucky and a few other things.)

(10-17-2012, 07:41 PM)PrettyNier Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Enslaved was an awesome game.
you know, a good friend of mine played that game.

he said the following:
Quote:its characters are ugly (despite the environments being pretty), the story's overhyped with regards to how good it is, it's mostly just good guys fighting bad guys and one of the good guys falls in love with the other ones (except maybe the ending, that was a slightly interesting direction they went there, i'll admit that), the combat is boring and mechanics that would completely change the flow of battle are unlockables, so they can't actually work them into the game in case the player doesn't buy them, and the platforming is a joke, you can literally just hold forward and mash X until the end
it's a "realistic" platformer which means that you basically climb a bunch of rungs on a ladder and you hold the stick in the direction of the next rung (which is always forward (always)) and press X and the rung lights up btw
near the end there's some things that actually require the tiniest, smallest degree of basic thought and skill and timing to them, barely
but it's literally
RIGHT at the END
the very last chapter of the game
which isn't very long
also you have an assload of health so you can kind of just shrug off the mistakes you make during those sections so actually they don't really matter anyway
imagine if mega man x had to be designed with wall clinging as an optional unlockable
that's what enslaved's combat is

i don't know if i'd go so far as to say the characters are ugly: but there's definitely nothing positive that stands out about the designs

I meant character as in you know, emotion and stuff - not design work. Also going on what someone else said seems like a pretty poor thing to do when it comes to something so subjective, especially with the 'middle' stuff (aka the 7/10 kinda games). Enslaved didn't have the best combat system but it flowed well and was entertaining enough. The voice work, facial expressions and actual character emotions were awesome though. It's just something Ninja Theory gets (Nariko trying to 'reason' with the sword in the afterlife between chapters being another good example) and if we get that PLUS a combat system heavily influenced by DMC 4 etc then we are on to a real good game.

Also people wishing death onto people for making a character's hair colour different is utterly disgusting Nicktendo, like seriously - chill out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8