The VG Resource

Full Version: Majora's Mask models
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, I recently discovered this place via the "ripping models from n64 the right way" tutorial ( which, in all honesty, is hard as balls to understand because of the poor grammar. Rolleyes No offense to the writer, I'm sure he's a pretty cool guy. ).

Anyway, I followed the tutorial and ripped the much superior MM Young Link model to test it out, and voila! First model rip! Cool

[Image: hVgFD.png] [Image: MspUE.png]
(THESE ARE NOT RENDERED!)

And download of course Wink
http://www.mediafire.com/?wd4ydn5czabjfou
First off, welcome to the forum! Big Grin

Pretty good rip for your first submission. I like how you included the greenified textures for Link's tunic, since I imagine that bugs a number of people who rip N64 Link models. There's only one small problem with it, and it's very minor. Open up the .MTL file in Notepad (or any text editor of your choice), and you'll notice that the texture paths all have "C:\VRML\" before the name of the file. Absolute paths like that don't work with MTL files, so you need to simply remove that part from each line. (Thank goodness for Replace All!) Once that is fixed, the model will be ready for upload! Smile

Also, as a note for future rips, it's usually best to treat the horizontal axes as the floor, and have characters/objects standing/resting on top of it, instead of floating halfway between it. For games like Zelda, you can use the character's shadow as the basis to get things positioned properly. It's not entirely necessary, but it makes the rip nicer. You don't have to do this for Link, as I can still accept it with his position the way it is, though it would be nice if you did. Wink
^

Alright will do, and thank you for the warm welcome.

I plan to rip other models too, I just wish that texture portion of the tutorial was a little more noob-friendly. Embarassed

I'll try and rip models from games that havent had models ripped (or have many models ripped from them) yet.

I think i'll start with Conker. Tongue
Sorry this took so long, I was in class when I wrote the above post.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3vo8c4k7vdvef9w

Note to self: Apparently, professors say very important things whenever you aren't listening
Yay!!! I always wanted to see that model in comparison to the OOT one. I noticed some things though.
It looks like Link's legs are bend forward (maybe its the view) and the texture is a bit pixelated in comparison to the OOT version.
Anyways Great rip since I dont understand a shizz of that ripping guide.
EDIT: what are these 2 spots under his hair on his head? It looks a bit weird
(03-04-2012, 04:38 PM)thegameexplorer Wrote: [ -> ]Yay!!! I always wanted to see that model in comparison to the OOT one. I noticed some things though.
It looks like Link's legs are bend forward (maybe its the view) and the texture is a bit pixelated in comparison to the OOT version.
Anyways Great rip since I dont understand a shizz of that ripping guide.
EDIT: what are these 2 spots under his hair on his head? It looks a bit weird

The screenshot doesn't show the model rendered (whenever I tried it looked all bright so I gave up) so it actually looks a lot better than that.

As for the leg bend, it's nothing but a 5 second rotate after selecting all the vertex-s (vertexes?) in said leg.
-brb fixing-
Since you're ripping ripping more than one model, it's best to have them in one thread. As such, I've combined them for you. Wink

For Link, the MTL is better, but a couple of them still need to be fixed (the first and fourth materials). Also, you have a random Copy of one of the textures.

For Kafei, there are a number of issues. First, I leaving the necklace texture as you found it. It may not look right now, but that's because the N64 uses some fancy tiling methods. Advanced users can make use of them properly.

For the textures, they're mostly fine, but make sure you include any alpha textures (the ones ending in _a) that aren't solid black squares. Those are very important for things like the necklace, which use transparency. Also, leave the textures in the same directory as the model, like you have with Link. The model importer won't find the textures if they are in a different location. Oh, and there's a Copy of one of the textures in there.

As for the model itself, you might have to re-rip it. Trying to T-pose it was a nice thought, and I'm glad you attempted it, but when it's done incorrectly, it does more harm than good. His arms are now painfully twisted beyond repair, and his feet are elongated. The pose that you originally ripped him in is perfectly acceptable, and preferable.

I look forward to seeing the fixed submissions, as we could definitely use more Majora's Mask models!
iv'e got a question does this Kafei come with a Keaton Mask as well?
I think it doesnt. He would have showed it on the preview if it was included
(03-07-2012, 02:36 PM)senjen Wrote: [ -> ]iv'e got a question does this Kafei come with a Keaton Mask as well?

Aw dangit.

I'm no good at this.

[Image: head-on-desk.jpg]

I wish i knew how to combine all the textures into one image, because I just realized that whenever I open up the model, the textures mess up again, and milkshape wont allow me to edit them for some reason.

So sorry you guys, I'm just not cut out for this.
Hey, don't give up. You just need some help.

(Unfortunately, I don't know much of anything about N64 models, but other members here do)
Don't worry about that. As I've said, the N64 uses fancy tiling methods on the models to make them look the way they do. Even if it can be recreated in a modeling program, that kind of tiling information can't be saved to common modeling formats. The model is perfectly fine the way it is, because that's just how the model looks outside of the game. What matters most is that the polygons are proper, and that's a much easier issue to deal with.

Besides, there have been worse-looking models.
[Image: picture5dq.png]
If you're still interested, I'd be happy to share what I know on the subject. Wink

Here's a (very long and rambling) post I made last year:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...#pid358639

I could try to write up a more concise guide if it'd be handy to anyone.

(03-04-2012, 04:38 PM)thegameexplorer Wrote: [ -> ]what are these 2 spots under his hair on his head? It looks a bit weird

Those spots at Link's hairline (on the forhead) are the texture of his eyes being repeated. I mention how to fix this in the post I linked. From another MM Link model rip I found elsewhere, I think it occurs in a few other places on the model, such as with the texture on the triangle at the base of the nose.

(03-07-2012, 04:50 PM)McNab Wrote: [ -> ]I wish i knew how to combine all the textures into one image, because I just realized that whenever I open up the model, the textures mess up again, and milkshape wont allow me to edit them for some reason.

So sorry you guys, I'm just not cut out for this.

Hang in there! Wink If you're interested, I can help with this too. I once imported Link's head into The Sims 1, which meant I had to combine the textures into one image.

Oh, and about Milkshape, sometimes you have to select the textures again and save it again, which then works. I don't know why, but it happens to me fairly often with downloaded models.

If you decide to continue, I'm sure you'll get a lot of support. The N64 Zelda games are two of my very favourite games, I'd love to see their model download sections fill out. Smile

Oh, and thanks for giving this a go! Big Grin
I can reproduce the effect they used in the game inside my 3d modelling software
Very Sad
Pages: 1 2