The VG Resource

Full Version: Oracle Placement In Zelda Timeline
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
[/font]I belive that the oracles are placed on the child timeline. For those who don't know what I mean, it goes like this; after OoT, the Zelda time line split into two, The Child Timeline where Link returned to after the Adult Timeline, where Link defeated Ganon and the Adult Timeline.

Now, why would the Oracle games be in the Child Timeline? One Word: Twinrova. In the Adult story in Oot, Twinrova was killed by Link, making it impossible for them to exist any further on. It already has been stated that OoT is one of, if not the, erliest cronologicly, so Twinrova couldn't be in the Oracles if they exsisted in the Adult Timeline. Also, Seasons and Ages must occur after Twighlight Princess for this to hold water, as Ganondorf was killed in this game. So to put it simply, the child timeline goes like this:
Oot-MM-TP-?-OS/OA-?
The ?s are for if anything occuring inbetween.
I like how you ignore LoZ, LoZ2, Link to the Past, Wind Waker, the rest of the handheld games....
People are killed by people all the time and are then in the very next game.
The "time line" didn't split as such, the other stuff just happens while Link is a kid before he grows up.
Twilight Princess simply doesn't fit anywhere, there's no evidence or enough links to other games to suggest that it does.

And can we just not start a Zelda timeline debate? There is no timeline. And kid Link is trapped in Majora's Mask anyway.
I remember reading somewhere that Miyamoto did confirm that the time-line split in OoT. And that Ganondorf was sent to a void between those two timelines. I'll try looking for that somewhere.

EDIT: I found it!

Quote:–When does Twilight Princess take place?

Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.

–And the Wind Waker?

Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there’s a scene showing Ganon’s execution. Link and Zelda left him be and he then did something outrageous, so it was decided that he should be executed. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power...

http://zeldawiki.org/Timeline_Quotes
Miyamoto also stated that Link to the Past was the LAST game in the timeline. I'm sorry but as he and Nintendo has no overall timeline planned (otherwise we would see it) his word means nothing.
Actually there is a timeline. Back from the Majora's Mask days, Nintendo's official Zelda site (Zelda Universe) had a timeline up.

Here's the listing from back then:
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask (After Link was sent back to his original time, he set out to find Navi and ended up in Termina instead thanks to Skull Kid.)
A Link to the Past (References the ancient sages that sealed Ganondorf.)
Oracle of Ages/Seasons (After Link recovered the Triforce, it summons Link and sends him to the lands of Holodrum and Labrynna.)
Zelda I
Zelda II (After Ganon was destroyed, Zelda gets cursed and the minions of Ganon seek Link's blood to revive their fallen master.)
Link's Awakening (After Hyrule was saved once again, Link left Hyrule to seek out adventures in new lands.)

Feel free to update this list with the recent games.
Goemar Wrote:Miyamoto also stated that Link to the Past was the LAST game in the timeline. I'm sorry but as he and Nintendo has no overall timeline planned (otherwise we would see it) his word means nothing.
Well its quite possible you do realize the series does not go in chronological order by when they are released.

Either way the only timeline (or timelines) that have been proven are:

Ocarina of Time-> Majora's Mask-> Twilight Princess
Ocarina of Time-> The Wind Waker-> Phantom Hourglass

Minish Cap-> Four Sword-> Four Sword Adventure

The rest of the games are debatable...
koopaul Wrote:
Goemar Wrote:Miyamoto also stated that Link to the Past was the LAST game in the timeline. I'm sorry but as he and Nintendo has no overall timeline planned (otherwise we would see it) his word means nothing.
Well its quite possible you do realize the series does not go in chronological order by when they are released.

Either way the only timeline (or timelines) that have been proven are:

Ocarina of Time-> Majora's Mask-> Twilight Princess
Ocarina of Time-> The Wind Waker-> Phantom Hourglass

Minish Cap-> Four Sword-> Four Sword Adventure

The rest of the games are debatable...

Link to the Past -> Link's Awakening
Zelda 1 -> Zelda 2: AoL

Are also pretty much confirmed as it says so in the manual. But yeah I completely agree with you there minus Twilight Princess, I just don't see it connecting to anything. Though the Four Sword saga has always been a "parallel universe" thing as Gannon being there just fucks everything up.

I also suspect that the Oracle games (Seasons and Ages) happen after Majora as Epona is in it and were released around that time.
Aonuma says it takes place 100 years aften the child saga in Oot. That's good enough for me. Also the fact that Zoras are alive still in Twilight Princess as opposed to being killed off in the adult scenario. Wind Waker had no Zoras.
So your saying that all the games connecting is impossible?

Not that I'm Zelda Time line theorist but I know a little about the theory(ies).

Apparently, it is widely believed that the earliest game is not in fact OoT it's actually The Minish Cap.

The theory that supports this is that the back story of MC is that there was a garbed green soldier by the name of Gustave who wielded the Picori sword. He is green, but he has no hat, and he wasn't known as the Hero of Time but the Hero of Men.

Link get's his trademark hat in his first (apparent) incarnation in MC, as he isn't wearing it in the beginning of the game but is instead gifted with one of his own at the end of the game.

More to this Oracle Ages and Seasons debate is that each game both occur at the same time to different Links at the end of each time line where each falls is the true debate, some theorists beleive.
Technically in Ocarina of Time, all Kokiriko children are garbed that way. It had nothing to do with the Minish Cap.
Djanjo, I'm not saying they can't all connect - I'm just saying they don't.
Yeah but Minish Cap is said to be the first by some but it has the problem of Moblins "created in Gannon's own image"

The AVGN "Chronologically confused about Zelda" video is a good summary of the theories for anyone who wants to know what the hell were on about.
Ocarina Of Time was basically the start for each set of alternate paralels in the Zelda series wasn't it? Mainly because of the seal war right? that was mentioned in LttP (as Ngamer said).
Ocarina Time basically said "Fuck you" to the old Zelda time line (LtttP -> Awakening -> Zelda 1 -> Zelda2) and made it's own. Nintendo didn't really plan a time line so that's basically what happened. Before that the time line was pretty much set in stone.
Goemar Wrote:The "time line" didn't split as such, the other stuff just happens while Link is a kid before he grows up.
Twilight Princess simply doesn't fit anywhere, there's no evidence or enough links to other games to suggest that it does.

And can we just not start a Zelda timeline debate? There is no timeline. And kid Link is trapped in Majora's Mask anyway.

The time line dose spit. Think about it. What happened in the adult story in OoT leads to WW. What happens in the child story leads to MM and, after many generations, TP. Also, Child Link did escape from Terina in MM. Did you see the credits? At the end he is in the lost woods, out of Termina.
I also have a belief that LA occurs after MM. It could be that after Link leaves termina, he went out to sea to search for his 'missing friend' (most likly everyones 'favorite' fairy). This I can't prove, but it makes some sense.
Goemar Wrote:I also suspect that the Oracle games (Seasons and Ages) happen after Majora as Epona is in it and were released around that time.

Hold it. I didn't say right after, just the same timeline. I should mention that durring the connected games, the incarnations of Link and Zelda in this arc are introduced to eachother for the first time. The horse could just be a horse.
Zee Wrote:I like how you ignore LoZ, LoZ2, Link to the Past, Wind Waker, the rest of the handheld games....

My focus was on the Oracle games and the Oot-MM-TP part. I had no need when I wrote it to mention those games.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5