The VG Resource

Full Version: spriting is hard (custom stuff)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hey everyone. I'm going to post my custom sprites here from time to time. I'm a n00b at spriting, so bear with me.. I've been re-reading tutorials on how to sprite. Ninja

[Image: ninasprite7.png]

This is my first *seriously worked on* custom sprite in a long time. It took me about 3 hours to finish. She is one of my long-forgotten, recently-rediscovered OCs called Nina.

Just to compare, here was the last "massive" sprite that I worked on, circa late 2003. It's bowletta from Mario and Luigi.

I'm almost done with another sprite, but feel free to C+C the ninja loli. It's going to take a while for me to get good at spriting. Embarassed
make the lines smoother, and maybe use less colors/recycle colors for something that small.
(06-15-2010, 05:36 PM)*Gorsal* Wrote: [ -> ]make the lines smoother, and maybe use less colors/recycle colors for something that small.

cheers.

Huh? What do you mean about making the lines smoother? Do you mean more anti-aliasing?
check this
[Image: 456v.png]

the green parts are parts that need to be smoother; some pixel swaps/antialias will solve it.

the red boxes are places that look too dirty. Scrap those ditherings, they aren't needed.

the orange boxes show places that has too much black. Tone it down; it hurts the readability.
Okay, cool. => Here's an update:

[Image: ninasprite6.png]

smoothened out the problem areas, replaced all the black outlines with dark purple, and removed 90% of the dithering.
The edge of that bow still looks really angular. In situations like this, I think you can use really light sel-out and anti-aliasing to make it look smoother, but I'm not really skilled enough to give a good example =|
cheers

I doubt you're that bad. What is sel-out, btw? I can't find any picture of it on google images.
see Pokémon sprites

the black outlines don't wrap all the sprite; it's just used in specific parts to simulate outline width. Since you select the parts you want the outline to be, hence 'SELective OUTlining'.

Look up for tutorials, there might have good ones in pixeling sites.
holy cocks

please do something other than "cutesy anime omg" drawings(or in this case sprites???) to completion
i dont want to hear excuses because you've used literally every one imaginable for why you "shouldn't" or "won't" or whatever excuse you're feeling like using at the time
also is this an edit because after looking at it closer it REALLY feels like one
THIS IS AN EDIT YOU STOLE THIS FROM MY FANGAME 'KAJUBUKU ITSUKI DESU KA'!!!! PLEASE STOP STEALING MY SPRITES!!!! OR AT LEAST CREDIT ME U___U CHRIST.........{pixel art ftw}
out of any joke, it does look like an edit. the 'smoothening' you did makes me wonder if you actually know what you're doing.
(06-15-2010, 07:07 PM)STRAIGHT CHILLIN 86 Wrote: [ -> ]THIS IS AN EDIT YOU STOLE THIS FROM MY FANGAME 'KAJUBUKU ITSUKI DESU KA'!!!! PLEASE STOP STEALING MY SPRITES!!!! OR AT LEAST CREDIT ME U___U CHRIST.........{pixel art ftw}
what's the matter with you

warned for spamming
(06-15-2010, 07:14 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-15-2010, 07:07 PM)STRAIGHT CHILLIN 86 Wrote: [ -> ]THIS IS AN EDIT YOU STOLE THIS FROM MY FANGAME 'KAJUBUKU ITSUKI DESU KA'!!!! PLEASE STOP STEALING MY SPRITES!!!! OR AT LEAST CREDIT ME U___U CHRIST.........{pixel art ftw}
what's the matter with you

warned for spamming
stop going off topic, this is about some guy who made pixel art and people accusing him of stealing a sprite and editing it jesus christ some mod you are..........

anyway, i think your sprite looks great, i like the use of pink. and white. very nice! i give it a 4/5!!
Well I got my laugh of the day from kori

The pixel art it self isn't terribly bad, gonna agree with groove on the bow. Also, Not gonna jump to a conclusion but it looks like you used a base or something, could be the reason why it looks like an edit.
I just returned from a party and I already got some random drama. heh

(06-15-2010, 07:12 PM)Francisco Cifuentes Wrote: [ -> ]out of any joke, it does look like an edit. the 'smoothening' you did makes me wonder if you actually know what you're doing.

It's not an edit. It's 100% made from scratch.

[Image: cirnomontyi.png]

Here is another WIP. I plan on smoothing out the lines. Any other crit is fine.

I'll go ahead and *try* to smoothen out nina's bow.
(06-15-2010, 07:30 PM)Diogalesu Wrote: [ -> ]Well I got my laugh of the day from kori

The pixel art it self isn't terribly bad, gonna agree with groove on the bow. Also, Not gonna jump to a conclusion but it looks like you used a base or something, could be the reason why it looks like an edit.

cheers

The "base" was made by me. Go ahead and try to find an existing base; you'll never find one.

EDIT:

[Image: ninasprite7.png]

Any better?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6