The VG Resource

Full Version: Features You'd Like to See More in Games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Help me out with an article feature, would you?

Basically, what aspects of the world of gaming would you like to see tapped into more in future releases, and why?

For myself:

Customisation
I LOVE this when it comes to games. It always gives a sense of individuality, when there's a way to play the game differently to others. Pokémon is the textbook example, but customised content is not only for RPGs, as Little Big Planet and the Need for Speed games point out. Changes actually have to affect the gameplay though - who cares if I can give my main character new shoes if it doesn't make him run super-fast?

Original Soundtracks
It might not be much, but I really appreciate it when gammes go to lengths of composing an entire musical score for the experience. High-profile publishers like Atlus often release soundtrack CDs alongside the game itself (which I tend to collect...). On the other hand, games that just use the current Top 40 for their listings just smack of laziness, and don't age well. The music to FIFA 2005 doesn't sound so hot now, huh? This is also true for music and rhythm games. The track listings of Guitar Hero and Rock Band feel so limited, and after a few releases, decent available tracks start becoming scarce (isn't that right, Guitar Hero 5 and Rock Band: Green Day?). DJ Hero's songs were mixed especially for the game, and is a massive step in the right direction.

Local Multiplayer
Once upon a time, games consoles didn't have access to the internet, and multiplayer gaming had never been more social. Anyone with an N64 has fond memories playing Mario Kart, Goldeneye, or even Mario Party all night with mates. But now consoles have integrated internet, a lot of games publishers have deemed local multiplayer inferior compared to playing unknowns in other countries. Sure that's fun and has it's place, but buying a game with the intent to play with friends, and then realising that the only multiplayer mode is online is a real kick in the teeth. Unsurprisingly, the Wii has kept local multiplayer in most of its games, which I have to respect - although that probably says a lot about the quality of its online services...

Alternatively - what kind of games features are you sick of seeing in games? I remember the fad that had stealth elements put in every game...
I agree with all of those and a few other things of my own:

Customization
Even if you want to have a certain main character and stuff at least let there be different clothes or armor that you can choose between. Good Example of this is Dark Cloud 2, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and a few others.

Weapons
If all games had the weapon system of Dark Cloud 2 where you can level up a weapon and choose it's level up I think games would be more fun rather then you just get a more powerful gun for leveling up.
Customisation
I love being able to do anything with a game. Mostly graphical customisation. You'll notice that EVERY single game I have on my computer has a copy of it with tons of graphical hacks by yours truly.
That's more about having Mod compatibility, rather than in-game customisation options, which is a bit different.

Or are you talking about the open-endedness of sandbox games? That's something different too...
(05-31-2010, 04:19 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]That's more about having Mod compatibility, rather than in-game customisation options, which is a bit different.

Actually, it's both. Creating (even partially) something that moves and/or is controlable is extremely fun to me.
Customization, absolutely. Even if it's only for minor things, I really like being able to edit things to my liking, especially if there is actual graphical change.
Realistic Landscapes
This is hella superficial but I have yet to see a game to date (sans FFXIV) that has made realistic landscapes. It's one thing to make the graphics realistic, but I am talking about the composition here. Imagine a dense forest in real life, the trees are pretty close together, usually only a few feet between. In most games though, they just plop down a few really fat trees that are insanely tall to the branches can cover the skies and call it a day. I don't think I've ever seen a game not use that method. My second gripe I can't really put into words, but, I will use screen shots from FFXIV instead.

http://www.ffxivblog.com/files/2009/08/f...ivblog.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/m...-580px.jpg

This scenery is just stunning and so lifelike and natural. I have never seen a game pull off this level of realism EVER, and I don't think they ever have. It's usually just flat plains with rocks and trees scattered about, as opposed to the sporadic, worn look that FFXIV has here.
I'd like to see more games have just general freedom to go around exploring and do what you want to do without worrying about restrictions and objectives. Few games have this "Sandbox Mode"
More and more games these days fall under the sandbox genre, in addition to other gameplay styles. Midnight Club 3 is arguably a Sandbox Driving game.
the most fun i ever have in games is making my own character aand altering the appearance. thats probably why i love animal crossing, lbp and ffcc.

customization is huge to me.
Simple gameplay
Sometimes, I just want to be able to jump right into a game and not have to go through 20 minutes of tutorial just how to learn how everything works. I like games like Castle Crashers, who seemed to get down a very simple and easy-to-use set of controls and leveling system.

I think more RPG's could benefit from a simplistic style of gameplay.
Fast-Paced Action

I live for games like Ninja Gaiden where you have to fight enemy after enemy in heart-pounding combat, but also have to think on your feet, play intelligently or suffer the consequences.

Giant Battles
I love games like Dynasty Warriors, despite their flaws, simply because I love the idea of slaughtering hundreds upon thousands of helpless enemies. I really have yet to find a game that does it JUUUUST right. What a really want is a game with huge armies like Dynasty Warriors, but with sweet boss battles... which brings me to another point:

Boss Battles
This can make or break a game for me. These days more and more games in genres that originally featured a decent number of boss battles are putting out less and less boss battles. I can understand WHY they aren't so numerous, I mean a boss is basically an enemy ensured to be bigger, badder, appear much less frequently (usually only once when you're talking about games that don't rely on palette swaps like some older games would), and thus require a bit more time and effort on the programing side. However, that doesn't stop me from LOVING boss battles. I love games like Megaman, where you are guaranteed at least several awesome bosses, or games (that are much rarer) like Alien Soldier for the Genesis, which is essentially just a big boss rush game. Over 30 bosses!!!

Customization
This has already been mentioned by almost everyone in the thread, so I'll just say that it's awesome. Even in smaller doses it can really help immerse me into a gaming experience by making it more my own.

An Action RPG with a Kingdom Hearts style fighting system that ISN'T Kingdom Hearts
I really love the fighting system in Kingdom Hearts, especially in KHII, but the lame crossovers and emo-carebears attitude of the characters really helps detract from the experience. If they were to use a similar fighting engine in a game that didn't make me and my friend fall over laughing right before the 1000 heartless battle when Mickey Mouse suddenly went all agro, that would be swell. 8D

Visual Changes with different Weapons and Armor
Lots more games have done this lately since newer technology makes it more and more possible to do. Good recent examples of something that does this is the Mass Effect series. However, I'd still love to see an RPG where both weapons AND armor made visual changes, but in games with THAT much stuff able to be equipped, it is much less reasonable to do.
games that don't focus so much on excessive freedom, rather games that actually focus on creating a good experience.

the more you can do, the more you realize you can't do.
(05-31-2010, 05:30 PM)TomGuycott Wrote: [ -> ]Boss Battles

This, God yes.

On that subject

Satisfying final bosses
Nothing disappoints me more in a game than a disappointing/poorly designed final boss. Lost Planet 2, Super Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, etc. All games have a slew of wonderful fights and bosses throughout the story, but each final boss just leaves so much to be desired. More games should follow in the steps of games like Iji, Earthbound, Cave Story, and other classics in giving a final boss battle that provides larger challenge than any other boss in the game, and feels great to finally beat. Plenty of games give massive amounts of buildup to the final battle, only to have the boss itself be a complete letdown. I hope that developers man up and start making some bosses that are fun to defeat, but not easy as cake.

Examples of mentioned good FB fights below(Warning: Spoilers):
less customization, more professionally designed stuff
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9