The VG Resource

Full Version: New to spriting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm somewhat new to spriting and I'm having a hard time finding a style to try to get into the groove of spriting. Where should I start?
dont try to have a style
stupidest thing you can do as a beginner

although if i read that wrong and youre just looking for a style to emulate, look for an artist you like, or a game you like, and try to make something in that style
Try and start with an 8 bit style and then gradually learn shading techniques.
see now i disagree there

as simple as 8bit looks, it's a very complex style that takes much more knowledge than something you can create at any other size without a color limit
mainly because it can't be created at any given size(without tiling anyways), and you're limited to 4 colors per 16x16 tile
If you wanna be taken seriously, avoid edits as much as you can, if not 100%. The sprite edits that I take the LEAST seriously are Mario (Mostly M&L RPG styles), Sonic (mostly Advance styles), and Megaman (mostly Zero styles).

And if you make original characters, spriting them in another style is usually a one-way ticket to instant ridicule.
Try/Start out with basic styles such as SMB3 SNES. Its your basic platforming style in which many characters/enemies use Angle and point of view rotations. Its also a good way to see how only 3 frames of walking can give very fluid animation.
I gradually went spriting in harder styles such to achieve such as Sonic (Genesis)
(And no, not my Genesis Mario. :/, it was other stuff.)
Gradually, you'll get inspiration from other games, and maybe come up with your own style.

Atleast, thats how I did it.
(04-05-2010, 10:00 PM)sweet georgia brown Wrote: [ -> ]see now i disagree there

as simple as 8bit looks, it's a very complex style that takes much more knowledge than something you can create at any other size without a color limit
mainly because it can't be created at any given size(without tiling anyways), and you're limited to 4 colors per 16x16 tile

well that's how i started.
an' i turned out fine i did.

mostly
get a good tutorial, for a "theorical" start. gas13's one is one of my favorites as it covers a wide range of topics http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_al...s_tile.php

study a lot, practice a lot, be always open to criticism and be sure to be mature enought to learn from every step. we can help and guide you from the most simple and basic MSPaint doodle, but you have to avoid cheap shortcuts like rip offs and edits as much as posible(not like starting with an edit of an existing sprite is bad, but you'll learn more if you understand the most basic elements first). the point is never to get others's attention, but instead feel yourself comfortable and happy with your work(and of course, that you enjoy it). it is hard, it might feel you're going nowhere, but just like anything in life, as long as you insist and keep working on it, you'll get your reward.
(04-05-2010, 10:03 PM)TomGuycott Wrote: [ -> ]If you wanna be taken seriously, avoid edits as much as you can, if not 100%. The sprite edits that I take the LEAST seriously are Mario (Mostly M&L RPG styles), Sonic (mostly Advance styles), and Megaman (mostly Zero styles).

And if you make original characters, spriting them in another style is usually a one-way ticket to instant ridicule.

100% agreement right here.

If you really MUST edit, avoid:

Mario (mostly M&L, but any style)
Sonic (mostly Advance, but any style)
Megaman (Zero, ZX, 8-Bit, and MM7 styles should never be used by anybody ever again, but avoid the rest as well)

like the plague.
okay listen no offense but heres what to do-
there is a website called tcotl. type it in on google. sprite whatever you want and post it there. they are good at judging beginners, and they can help you a little more because there are fewer people. when youve advanced, come here, where they judge you a bit more harshly, and make it the rest of the way.
it's not that we judge harshly here

it's that we judge honestly here
we're harsh to people who deserve it(most of the time)

just sayin
(04-05-2010, 10:03 PM)TomGuycott Wrote: [ -> ]If you wanna be taken seriously, avoid edits as much as you can, if not 100%. The sprite edits that I take the LEAST seriously are Mario (Mostly M&L RPG styles), Sonic (mostly Advance styles), and Megaman (mostly Zero styles).

Wait
What?

How is this a ticket to instant ridicule? Chances are when practicing another style whatever you sprite in the style is going to be something of your creation rather than something official. You don't get ridiculed for spriting your character in a Pokemon trainer sprite style, as a good example.
(04-08-2010, 08:43 PM)sweet georgia brown Wrote: [ -> ]it's not that we judge harshly here

it's that we judge honestly here
we're harsh to people who deserve it(most of the time)

just sayin
yeah i know. and thats good. they judge honestly at tcotl too. just there are less people and you get alot more accomplished. like i said, come here when youre more advanced
(04-08-2010, 08:45 PM)Plasmi Wrote: [ -> ]yeah i know. and thats good. they judge honestly at tcotl too. just there are less people and you get alot more accomplished. like i said, come here when youre more advanced
i promised dex i wouldn't be a dick anymore but ugh

just shut up
stop advertising for your shitty forum and shut up
he asked for advice on how to get into spriting, not "who has the forum with the smallest memberbase"
(04-08-2010, 08:45 PM)Pokemon Training Apparatus Wrote: [ -> ]

Wait
What?

How is this a ticket to instant ridicule? Chances are when practicing another style whatever you sprite in the style is going to be something of your creation rather than something official. You don't get ridiculed for spriting your character in a Pokemon trainer sprite style, as a good example.

I guess I should've rephrased, what I mean is that I see TONS of "original characters" that are wimpy edits of Sonic the Hedgehog or a Megaman Zero base. Don't fall into that trap, and if you DO sprite said character in a pre-existing style, make it look new and improved, not a cheap imitation.
Pages: 1 2