The VG Resource

Full Version: Producer of "Black" states 'FPS' today are boring
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
During an interview given to the revised Official Xbox Magazine, the producer of "Black" released for PlayStation 2 and Xbox, said the newly launched style games are really boring .

"There are many games based on shoot and hide right now," commented Stuart Black at a given time of the interview.

"When a man crouches behind a wreckage, you just need to sit and wait for him lift his head. He gets up, some bullets are placed in his skull, and if it again ... and I hope he rises again? Very boring. I do not bother me with something, "he said.

Remember that when he is ahead of a development team, whose purpose is to make a new game of that style to Codemasters.

now...do you think that todays fps are boring? if yes what need to be changed?
yes

they are.
the only one i've seen with any innovation lately is zeno clash
i see.

one thing that upsets me is the fact that in many game you recover health after some shots.

like in the COD games and many others
I don't like shooters all to much, However TF2, the Half life games, L4D games, and Bioshock can hold my interest. They all have unique characters, and stories that keep me interested, well aside from TF2 having no story, I just like the pure competiveness of it and the balance of characters.
I don't like how EVERY FPS nowadays is going the ways of regenerating health. Battlefield: Bad Company had an actual health system and an item that recovered your health that you could only use once every like, 30 seconds, so it was really difficult. Bad Company 2, however, has auto-regen.
wtf.

I miss the old days when you needed skill.
Also, Black was a fucking awesome game. Just throwing that out there.
like in goldeneye, perfect dark and medal of honor(ps1)?
Eh, the only FPSes were really Doom, Half Life 1+2, Counterstrike (Came with Half Life, or was that the first Team Fortress?), Halo: Combat Evolved, TF2, and Borderlands.

Yeah, TF2 was pretty competetive until my comp. started to choke during brefing.

Half-Life was fairly decent, Halo's was okay, as it almost never recovered your health because you were bombarded by enemy fire. Borderlands on the other hand.. mmmeeehhh..

So yeah.. not a big fan of FPSes.. I blame the lack-of-effort made for -most- games. At least the arcade FPSes were actually more intense than console ones, because you were going in one direction and (litterally) everything is out to kill ya.

If I were to go play a FPS, I'd go to an arcade and play some Time Crisis. Wink
time crisis? now thats a game XD. old but gold
Those aren't FPSes, those are light gun shooters. Although I suppose one could argue that they're the same thing. :l
(02-26-2010, 12:52 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: [ -> ]Those aren't FPSes, those are light gun shooters. Although I suppose one could argue that they're the same thing. :l

Assuming that I was referring to the console titles, then maybe they are along the lines, ala Pesudeo First Person Shooter.
I really enjoyed Killzone 2 and the Half-Life games. Never really played multi-player since the first Halo came out though. System link 4 vs 4 was just too awesome an experience to ever be replicated online and with people moving and stuff I never really jumped back into it.

The cover system can sometimes cause a game to be boring, and regenerating health is what killed the Halo series for me after the first one. Thus if you combine the two so your just waiting behind cover for your health to regain every 30 seconds it can get very very dull.

Not to self: Pick up Black
I dunno. I've always held the argument that Killzone 2 is the grudgy dirty kind of TF2. You have all the same classes but you have to build up a certain skill score to get all other thier abilities unlocked. I wish it was more cordinated (but that's what MAG is for I guess...) but it does the job. The great thing is that your health pack is an actual person. If people realize there are too many engineers running out you bust out the Medics class.

And Killzone has no cover system, sooooooo yeah dying happens a lot.
I've never really been a fan of FPS's and grumble at their oversaturation of the market. I think there is a lot of sameyness going on, like with peripheral-based music games as well.

the only FPS's that have really grabbed me weren't for the core gameplay, but other elements such as story, characters, or other gameplay attributes (TF2 with the characters and graphics style, L4D with the co-op, etc)...

I hate the idea of hiding and shooting. I'm the kind of gamer that loves to rush in and mash buttons and barely notices the health bar. blegh.
I completely agree with what he's saying. Everything today is based more around the same 30 seconds of gameplay than anything else, and it really disappoints me.

You know what I think could help to fix this? Enemy variety. Most of today's FPS games (Black included, really) use the same kind of enemy troop, while using similar cover-based gameplay, but includiing, say, attack dogs, heavy-armored dudes who can shrug off small arms fire, shit like that, could help ease off the samey bullshit feel. Darkwatch and arguably Urban Chaos: Riot Response had a fairly Halo-like tactical feel that was made more fun by a veritable menagerie of enemy types.

Also, there's the matter of regenerating health. FUCK renegerating health. To me, regenerating health seems to be the developer's way of saying "You suck at this game, here's your reward!"

Here, right now, I am going to pull a health model idea out of my ass.

Non-regenerating armor over regenerating health. With full armor, you can take a gunshot and still keep going, Doom-style. When your armor is depleted, you'll be so vulnerable that a hard stare will make you keel over like Keith Richards before the blood transfusion.

Right there, in 30 seconds, I have produced more creativity than the entirety of EA's development teams.

Good games are built on experimentation, and that's exactly what recent FPS games haven't been doing.
(02-26-2010, 04:45 PM)Rai Wrote: [ -> ]Most of today's FPS games (Black included, really) use the same kind of enemy troop, while using similar cover-based gameplay, but includiing, say, attack dogs, heavy-armored dudes who can shrug off small arms fire, shit like that, could help ease off the samey bullshit feel.
Modern Warfare 2 has dogs and Juggernauts.

Actually, dogs have been consistent in the series since the first Modern Warfare.
Pages: 1 2 3