The VG Resource

Full Version: The topic where Zero Kirby learns how to sprite!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I woke up one day and said to myself, "FUCK IT, SELF, YOU'RE LEARNING HOW TO SPRITE AND YOU'RE GONNA LIKE IT"

I said back "Where do I start, self?"

"MAKE A WALK CYCLE YOU LITTLE WEE MAN"

[Image: walkcycle-1.gif]

I need lots of constructive criticism because, well, I'm trying to learn how to sprite.
you're going in the right way.
Thats a pretty good walk cycle Wink now just add a body and arms next Tongue
Your feet seem to be changing size throughout the animation.
it's better than what I attempted once (sob)

perhaps make the legs a bit longer? upon first glance it looks like just feet and ankles. I suppose it depends on what in your head you see those legs/feet being on.
pulchridude: They probably are. This is really the second time I've ever made a walk cycle, and the first one was forever ago, so... yeah. I still need to work on that.

Jovian-12: I didn't really imagine the legs being any longer than they are. A stubby character, if you will. I probably should also practice long legs, though.

So today, myself said to me, "TODAY YOU WILL SPRITE A SINGLE FRAME OF A THROWAWAY CHARACTER"

So I did

[Image: poorlittlebritishboy.png]

Just a random kid. Has a messenger bag, driving cap, and, well, is little. Thought of him while thinking of ideas for a Blinx fangame, without the Blinx.
weird-ass color choices there :o

your colors are too dark and you can't shade every color with gray. Use lighter coors and shade with a darker version of the color you're shading.
yeah, the shading doesn't make it pop out much. go for contrast, give it shades and highlights to give it some depth.
don't be afraid of using more colors, but just don't over do it. bear in mind the size said sprite would be presented in a game(as in 1x, 2x, etc.) and its readbility. right now you have an sprite that, without any given description, would be hard to understand.
hi,zero kirby
I went with the gray shading because I imagined the character in a bizarre game; I figured it would help with the bizarre tone. Guess not. But I can see where you guys are saying there's too dark colors. I'll lighten those up.

Metaru: So, sprite bigger and use more colors. Gotcha.

18lapeje: Unfortunately I don't remember you. Are you from another forum and know me there?
perhaps you could use the gray as a sort of backlight, then? kind of like the official artwork for Mario & Luigi. there's gray, but shading too.