Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: What Program Should I Use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Rpg Maker VX
27.27%
6 27.27%
Rpg Maker 2000
9.09%
2 9.09%
Game Maker
45.45%
10 45.45%
Other
18.18%
4 18.18%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TSRpg
Hello everyone.
Well for those of you who don't know I've been spriting/developing a 8-bit RPG based on the wonderful world of TSR.

I'll call it....
[Image: AaT2y1X.png]
[tsrpg]

Here's a concept map
[Image: HEyLV5C.png]

However I'm not 100% sure which program to use for making the game.
(I feel that knowing what program I will use is key to finding out how to size my sprites)

Things done
If you want to help here's how you can!!!
-PM ideas about enemies, items, plot, armor, anything really
-Post your own sprites (can be monsters,overworld characters, tiles)
For monsters
[Image: CUbLdkF.png?1?2595]
Tiles and Characters
(use typical tile block method)
-Name any programs I could use to make the game.
-If you want your ref in the game pm me and give a little about them and what role should they play in the game.
who is the guy next to O.tron? also is there a palette for others who wanted to sprite? also what are the required overworld actions for characters/enemies? what are the restrictions/style/rules etc. of the big enemy battle sprites?
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
(04-29-2013, 09:07 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: who is the guy next to O.tron? also is there a palette for others who wanted to sprite? also what are the required overworld actions for characters/enemies? what are the restrictions/style/rules etc. of the big enemy battle sprites?

One of phaze's refs.
Since I want it to have a gbc style any color could essentially be used.

Overworld actions include basic movement in NESW directions.

When doing the enemy sprites think of the mother series or metal max returns.
[Image: mugen.gif][Image: 41583772.gif]

Love Gotta Have it:
Thanked by:
I've never used it so I wouldn't know, but would RPGmaker not be the most viable option?
Thanked by:
Although I haven't made much with it myself, I found this to be fairly simple to use, even with limited coding knowledge. The sprite interface takes a bit of getting used to but it's really easy to put events in.
[Image: sig7.gif]
Spriting thread
[Image: crawl.gif]
Thanked by: Virtuaboy123
I would think that GameMaker would be best, you can make sprites and tiles freely with no limitations. It might have some drawbacks, but as long as you understand and know how to use it's programming language, it can be very powerful.

You should also check out BlitzMax (www.blitzbasic.com), although to use it, you'll need to have very good understanding of the BASIC programming language. Again, if you learn and understand the language, you can design your game without any limitations. You can't make sprites in the program though... Or at least I think... Check it out and see what you think. Genki ^_^
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Personally, I wouldn't go with any of these tools - I'm not a huge fan of these high-level abstractions, and prefer to get into the actual details of how everything works. This approach has its benefits, as it allows finer control of details like a resource pipeline, for example. However, I do recognise that this approach is perhaps not for everyone. Of the choices listed, I'd recommend Game Maker, but if I were doing this myself, I would probably look around for some framework, probably based around C# or Java, that would allow me to create it.
Thanked by: Virtuaboy123, ~Axis~, Ploaj
RPG Maker VX allows for a lot of customization so if you wanted you could edit the scripts and make the engine more to your liking if you used it
I've worked with VX and seen some of the scripting. It's pretty open to modification.

Love Gotta Have it:
Thanked by:
hello gang, im lexou and this is a short explanation of GBC restrictions

PALETTE
the GBC palette is a 15-bit RGB palette (like the gba and snes)
what that means is that instead of having 0 to 255 values for red green and blue you have 0 to 31
so you can pick any color on MSpaint like you would normally, but the numbers of RGB must be multiples of 8 (cause 256/32=8)
in total you have about 32768 colors :
[Image: RGB_15bits_palette_color_test_chart.png]

SCREEN
the gbc screen is 160x144 pixels, or 20x18 8x8tiles
[Image: gb_screen.png]
There can only be 56 different colors displayed on-screen at any given time

SPRITES
sprites, like for the NES, can be 8x8 pixels or 8x16
each sprite has 4 colors (including transparency) from one of the 8 palettes in the game
yes, there are only 8 4-color palettes for all the sprites in the game, that's 32 different possible colors for every moving object

TILES
they're 8x8 in size, the amount you can make depends on the size of your rom
each tile has 4 colors from the 32768-color palette, no transparency (duh)

ok i think that pretty much covers it
please tell me if i'm wrong about anything
(also idk what's the on-screen sprite limit)
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
I might help a bit on this if weren't so busy right now...

So... is this gonna an Earthbound-styled RPG? Just curious.
(01-24-2014, 07:52 AM)Gors Wrote: those are really fucking classy surnames you've got there

[Image: tumblr_npvw95As6k1tzzv2wo1_540.gif]
Thanked by:
I think it will draw heavily from rpg's similar to the mother, chrono trigger, metal max, and other non-medieval rpg series.

By medieval I mean like things like early FF, DQ, Fire Emblem, Lufia, etc. (Castles,Drag)ons, Magic

It will certainly not be the typical swords and magic rpg.

Love Gotta Have it:
Thanked by: Sengir, Baegal
Experimenting a bit with the style here:

[Image: PlasticAtreyu.PNG]
(01-24-2014, 07:52 AM)Gors Wrote: those are really fucking classy surnames you've got there

Thanked by: Virtuaboy123, Sengir, The KKM
Progress
[Image: GqQrLgI.png]
(should've used a colored bg Sad )

hmmm why not, here are there names (by family group)
(left to right)
Unchi, gold Unchi
Fly, R. Fly
Tattle Ghost
Spotter, Finder
Thug Slug, Mafia Mollusk
Mad Batter, Oni Striker
Impul, Green Impul, Satan kid
(????)Solider, (????) Captain
Play don't, Clay Man, Magma Baby
Star Man, Red Steel

Love Gotta Have it:
Some enemy idea:
[Image: Peachy.PNG]
Pesky Peach, Poison Plum and Platinum Prune.