Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Push2Play Games Arcade
Push2Play Games Arcade
SUMMARY
Push2Play Games is a start up project for me and a group of friends, we each know out way around a part of game development and marketting,
I in particular have been teaching myself game development for 3 years.

We aim with this project to create a series of games loosely based on arcade games of our childhoods. we currently have planned a side scrolling platformer, an oct-directional TDS and a vertical scrolling space shooter.

ORIGINAL:
Due to the original attempt being rushed the engine was quite stiff and wouldn't work well with the other games, in order to increase speed, decrease memory consumption and make it easier to develop for all 3 planned games I have been rewriting the engine from scratch!

The Return of P2P Arcade!
SUMMARY
so I've been working on the engine for P2PG Arcade for a little while and I've got all I want working (for now) I wrote from scratch a physics engine including colliders for circles AABB's and polygons with mass and force based movement, I rewrote the saving and loading as well as the entirety of the object handling.
I rewrote the level editor, I added in spatial hash tables for game objects, physics objects and tilesets (meaning the game will run much faster at the expense of things not on screen acting like their non-existing)
I've made new sprites for the character, gems, hazards and the game now has a goal and a gimmick (to some degree)

and so I present to you...

MIGHTY NINJA!
[Image: cHhGC.png]
still a work in progress but the basest systems are working.
You play as a bobble headed ninja on a quest to activate the spirit gems and banish ghost ninjas... bizarre story but its a side scrolling platformer, what do you expect?
the gems are guarded by crystal dragons, collect gems and deliver them to the spirit gem to earn the trust of the dragons, deliver the gems in hordes for bonus points, when the dragons are happy the spirit gem will activate, completing the level (yet to be added but I think I'll have it save a leaderboards file and return the player to the menu, when a menu is implemented of course)
if you die while carrying gems (top left corner) you will lose the gems and they will all return to where you collected them from, your respawn point is the initial placing of the player.

LEVEL EDITOR!
[Image: SYZkc.png]
The level editor is accessed via F1, WASD to move, left click to interact with the interface / place tiles, right click to place objects / hold to delete objects.
Saving and Loading should work fairly well, if you experience any errors prntscrn it and let me know please (unless you enter a bad filename in which case it will throw an error but not cause any damage as intended)
use Delete to view debugging / performance information, including memory consumption (which I think I mathed wrong but it will still show important memory consumption all the same) CPU usage (in update and drawing) and general time delta.

DOWNLOAD!
NOTE: if you have not already install the .msi file before playing, it contains the XNA re-distributable libraries with which the game was written, they are essential to run the game.
Mighty Ninja Beta 0.2

Side Project: Brain Scratch Adventure
Thanks for reading, please report any errors or issues with gameplay, including how it happened and if you can recreate it, I will then be able to run through the code causing the problem and fix it.
Any and all comments or crits encouraged and greatly appreciated,
Bombshell
Thanked by: Phaze, Mag, Shade
For some reason, I can see the music is being referenced in a sense from the source of the page (btw, you're missing the <title> tag on your site), I see no way to access it from the HTML frontend - even with Javascript enabled. What's up?

On a related though, music seems good Smile
Thanked by:
(12-20-2012, 08:51 AM)Phaze Wrote: For some reason, I can see the music is being referenced in a sense from the source of the page (btw, you're missing the <title> tag on your site), I see no way to access it from the HTML frontend - even with Javascript enabled. What's up?

MP3 embeds... work in Chrome, but not in Firefox. Opera shows the audio bar, but doesn't play anything.
Internet Explorer.... does it. Heh.

I'd suggest to add normal links to the audio files, too, for all those whose browsers do not support the way you embedded them.
Thanked by:
the site is being fixed up now,
in the mean time I have a tiny demo, this is just me making sure the movement and camera feels nice.
The game is written in xna so if you have not already you will need to install the XNA 4.0 redistribute (included in the download)
A and D to move left and right
W to jump, hold W to jump higher.
the bushes and gems are purely cosmetic at the moment, but I'm putting scoring and hazards in now so they will be doing things soon.
[Image: xk4aS.png]
Mediafire download link
Thanked by: Mag
It feels really slow and the falling should be more accellerated, jumps are rather floaty now.
Thanked by: Bombshell93
I'll fiddle around with the gravity and speed, see what I can do,
I'll update again when the player has something to do.
Thanked by:
Cool, im trying out the demo right now. I noticed that your using xna to make a level editor. You might've already come across this, but did you know that you can just use winforms + xna to create level editors? It might make it a bit easier to code it.
Animations - MFGG TKO (scrapped) - tFR
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
"It feels that time is better spent on original creations" - Konjak
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by:
yeah I've attempted it about a year ago but little bits and bobs of xna kept having hissy fits so I've not tried since, I've found it easier to just have handy classes for click-able buttons with events.
Thanked by:
BETA 0.1 - LEVEL EDITOR NOW INCLUDED
Thanked by: Previous
YOUTUBE LINK - test run of a misty ninja mock level in BETA 0.1b
Thanked by:
This looks really nice! I could not jumo over the spikes with the mushroom it always throws me on the last one and I die and the mushroom works really weird with walking on it to be thrown instead of jumping like a trampoline Shy
Thanked by: Bombshell93
I'll fix that up and yeah in 0.1b I fixed the spikes, I'll not update until 0.2 now, but I'm re-hauling a lot of it to run faster and have a more diverse engine (will make the other 2 games easier and the misty ninja play better)
should take about a week, I'll be sure to stick in moving and disappearing platforms too so the platforming can be more diverse.
I may even make a menu so I can start making the project more of a whole than just misty ninja. It may also fix a behind the scenes save and load issue.
Thanked by:
Due to the original attempt being rushed the engine was quite stiff and wouldn't work well with the other games, in order to increase speed, decrease memory consumption and make it easier to develop for all 3 planned games I have been rewriting the engine from scratch!
This has worked well so far and the new engine is holding up much better than its predecessor.
You may still view the original topic and download the first betas above via opening the spoiler tags, but for those who are interested in the new version I will release it with editor when enough features have been added, at the moment its only a tile editor, I still have to add some extra physics objects and the player objects so there is something to place in the editor.
here is a screenshot of the current version
[Image: MDVa0.png]

and here is a link to the Sprite topic for the new version, sheets are being expanded past their initial limits, the limits were purely imaginary and were doing nothing but holding the game back from the more content me and the rest of P2PG think we should strive for.
Thanked by: Mag
The Return of P2P Arcade!
SUMMARY
so I've been working on the engine for P2PG Arcade for a little while and I've got all I want working (for now) I wrote from scratch a physics engine including colliders for circles AABB's and polygons with mass and force based movement, I rewrote the saving and loading as well as the entirety of the object handling.
I rewrote the level editor, I added in spatial hash tables for game objects, physics objects and tilesets (meaning the game will run much faster at the expense of things not on screen acting like their non-existing)
I've made new sprites for the character, gems, hazards and the game now has a goal and a gimmick (to some degree)

and so I present to you...

MIGHTY NINJA!
[Image: cHhGC.png]
still a work in progress but the basest systems are working.
You play as a bobble headed ninja on a quest to activate the spirit gems and banish ghost ninjas... bizarre story but its a side scrolling platformer, what do you expect?
the gems are guarded by crystal dragons, collect gems and deliver them to the spirit gem to earn the trust of the dragons, deliver the gems in hordes for bonus points, when the dragons are happy the spirit gem will activate, completing the level (yet to be added but I think I'll have it save a leaderboards file and return the player to the menu, when a menu is implemented of course)
if you die while carrying gems (top left corner) you will lose the gems and they will all return to where you collected them from, your respawn point is the initial placing of the player.

LEVEL EDITOR!
[Image: SYZkc.png]
The level editor is accessed via F1, WASD to move, left click to interact with the interface / place tiles, right click to place objects / hold to delete objects.
Saving and Loading should work fairly well, if you experience any errors prntscrn it and let me know please (unless you enter a bad filename in which case it will throw an error but not cause any damage as intended)
use Delete to view debugging / performance information, including memory consumption (which I think I mathed wrong but it will still show important memory consumption all the same) CPU usage (in update and drawing) and general time delta.

DOWNLOAD!
NOTE: if you have not already install the .msi file before playing, it contains the XNA re-distributable libraries with which the game was written, they are essential to run the game.
Mighty Ninja Beta 0.2

Thanks for reading, please report any errors or issues with gameplay, including how it happened and if you can recreate it, I will then be able to run through the code causing the problem and fix it.
Any and all comments or crits encouraged and greatly appreciated,
Bombshell
Thanked by: Phaze
You should tweak the jumping a bit. The beginning of the jump should be a bit faster and when he falls, it should be way faster.
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by: