Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Enribeaver
ENRIBEAVER
By: recolorme and TheShyGuy

last update of first post: 11/23/2012

STORY

Enrique and Zadaben are having a nice chit-chat at a Maid Cafe. When suddenly, an owl raids the T.V.! Announcing "If anyone is man enough to go to my tower, then I shall free my dinner!".

He grabs a familiar kid upside down. A kid with brown hair, blue jacket, and brown gloves. "VIRT!!" Zadaben cries out. This caused a commotion in the cafe, leaving the Maid Cafe loud enough for Enrique and Zadaben to sneak away outside.

They went behind the cafe and started thinking. "We can't leave Virt like that! We must do something." Enrique blurted. Zadaben looked at Enrique as if he were a beaver. Which lead him to having ideas. "Of course!" Zadaben snapped. "You COULD save them, Enrique! You can be an alter-ego. Something like a beaver!"

Enrique seem to like the plan. He told Zadaben to make them both costumes and that he woud be a superhero beaver, while Zadaben would be a raccoon. After all the prepares, they finally turned into their alter-egos: Enribeaver and Zadacoon. They quickly find the quickest way to get to the tower without revealing themselves so much.

GAMEPLAY
The game is a 2D platformer. You control Enribeaver, a fake, nerdy, superhero. He resembles a beaver and can chomp through wood and can wall climb with his tail. He could also beat enemies with his tail and wood hard fists! You can also get upgrades! Such as Super Fangs and a Hyper Tail!

He also has a sidekick: Zadacoon! (Basically, a two player mode. It's going to be on the same screen.)

STAGE LAYOUT
It starts with a world map, (Think Super Mario World) where you pick one of the 4 worlds. After you enter through one of the worlds, you are then in a 2D Hub World. You pick to any of the three stages you want to go to first in the Hub World.

There isn't any screenshots atm. There will be some soon!

CREDITS:
SirZadaben - Ideas and designs
TSR- Designs of other characters
TheShyGuy - Programmer
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by: Virt, Shade, TheShyGuy
I want to see me being kidnapped by an owl

that'll be interesting
Thanked by: Previous, Shade, puggsoy, recme
[removed]
[Image: Little_lamp_in_dark_room.jpg]

Thanked by: Shade
For a moment there, I thought his hat was his ear haha. I like the style you got going, though perhaps you need stronger angles on his arms and legs since they look a little smooth, especially his left arm. Unless that is what you were going for, since, if it is, I think you'll need to find a way to communicate that better (which you can clearly do since the Beta robot cat looking thing pulls it off well).

Also for your consideration, maybe slick EnriBeaver's hairdo backwards instead of forwards? You'll also need another contrasting shade on his paws as it is a bit hard to distinguish shape and lighting.

Good luck with it all!
Thanked by: Zadaben
His right elbow looks too smooth - unless that's the look your going for as many cartoons seem to reject the idea of elbows now days.
Although it's more realistic to have the tail dark I'd keep it brown as otherwise it clashes with his trousers too much, and cartoon beavers tend to have brown tails.

My main issue with is that his hands look like stumps and his eyes appear to be square.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
There's some sort of weird bulge in zadatrashcan's left arm and the arms don't really look like they're connected to his body. They're kinda just floating there.
Oh, whoops, I forgot about this thread when I posted yesterday, heh.
Okay well thank you to whoever merged it.
---------------------
Also thanks for the C+C, no, his arm is not supposed be elbow-less, I will get to work on that.
EDIT: Or not seeing as recolorme has decided he wants to work on this project by himself.
[Image: Little_lamp_in_dark_room.jpg]

Thanked by:
BUMP

WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT, AN ACTUAL DEMO

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD!
Dropbox alternative

(Controls are included in the download.)

Screens:
[Image: LN372nZ.png]
[Image: ntF2LPY.png]

Comments about the engine would be nice!
Thanked by:
Im not sure if he put it in the controls or readme, but before you add any enemies, add Enribeaver to the game (press E). Or else the game will break.

edit: press Y to hide enemy ai stuff (U)
Animations - MFGG TKO (scrapped) - tFR
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
"It feels that time is better spent on original creations" - Konjak
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by:
The mixing of sprite styles is hard on the eyes.

I haven't tried the actual engine yet.
Thanked by:
(01-19-2013, 11:11 AM)Phaze Wrote: The mixing of sprite styles is hard on the eyes.

They're just placeholders, so they won't be there forever.
Thanked by:
This is just a notice:

Recolor and I decided to start doing small but frequent updates. Some upcoming updates include:
  • Updated Dialog System:
    • Choices
    • Graphical changes
  • Menu System:
    • Pause Menu
      • Exit
      • Resume
    • Settings
      • Configure buttons
      • sound options
  • music
  • small physics update
  • small bug fixes

After i finish these, i'll update the topic and try to give out more info on near future updates. Also, i have just downloaded hypercam, the free version =/, so i'll be including some short vids on the progress.

Oh yea, i'm going to continue using xna for this game since it would've been a bit of a hassle to port everything. I'll make the game crossplatform when its done and there are requests for it.

edit: i coded for the menus and fixed some physics. I just gotta finish the dialog system and i'll be done. There should be an update by the weekend.

edit: expect an update sometime today.
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by: recme, Shade
Heres the update with the above update list:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33569482/EnriBea...Build2.zip

I will make another post once recolorme tells me what to do for the next update.

Comments about the game would be nice.

if the game doesn't work for you, make sure you have the xna redistributable installed:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...x?id=20914
Thanked by: Ploaj, recme, Shade, Bombshell93
just out of curiosity how are you handling your objects (logic wise) component / entity? inheritance? individual?
its one of the things I don't get to talk about often but for the core of the game I find it pretty interesting.
Thanked by:
*I did not proofread this yet.

tl;dr.......don't worry about it.
Thanked by: