[x]We're back! After a failure of the drives in our database server, all data has been restored from last night's backup. The last 24 hours or so of submissions will likely need to be re-made but everything else should be okay. Please let me now if you notice anything not working as it should though. Thanks! -Petie

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Manes' General Art Thread
I'm not doing this at any deadline other than my want to finish this spriteset so that I could go back to playing a certain Pokémon fangame.

However, the subject I chose for this sprite mod puts a lot of weight on my shoulder. I'm just a novice who noticed a lack of a spriteset that I want, then decided she wanted to make one on her own for her own enjoyment.

(A novice who can't foreshorten in normal drawings, might I add.)

It would not be a problem if it was some self-insert or something. I didn't know what I was setting myself up for until I got to the VS sprite and got a request for the pose.

[Image: trainer0001x_zpscc5f67ad.png]

[Image: boy_walk1x_zpsef9e348d.png]

[Image: boy_run1x_zpsce22af17.png]

This is what I set myself up for.

Now. I decided to tackle the VS sprite next, but as I mentioned before, I can't do foreshortening in a real drawing. So I had to trace an existing screenshot. If you ask me to toss that out and do something else... who am I to judge? But then, this is for my own use... and one other person.

I derped and forgot to include what I had so far.

Thanked by: Gwen
First off Don't present stuff on a transparent background
[Image: CXsIbmJ.png]
When we import it into Paint, It will give us a black background, which conflicts with some of the black pixels in the sprite.

Honestly the sprite is good in itself but I feel like the contrast between the head/hair and the tux is too prominent. Tone it down a bit
Thanked by:
Oh, sorry. I'm new at presenting stuff. My usual tools are image manipulation programs, so... yeah.

Is the contrast too high? I figured it was fine for a darker Pokémon game. Anyway, perfect chance to tweak the hair a bit, too; ever since my grandfather mentioned it looked like an afro, I could not unsee it:

[Image: trainer0001xv2_zpsffc2813a.png]

Also, a confession: Keiang did the torso for the trainer sprite, and the overworld sprite is a recolor of a previous reshade/tweak of... an edit:

[Image: 749a82b8541b19c584f8d12becd0d048.png]
[Image: 325fe023444f65972ea76d689c2880b4.png]
lolgyazo

I guess that's how these kind of sprites work.

(Yeah, this is a P3 Protagonist sprite for Pokémon Reborn...)

Taking all the credit didn't feel right. Then again, my original art community was deviantArt, do take that as you will.

EDIT: I also made good on the promise of scrapping that one VS sprite. I was halfway done with the lineart before realizing I got the shirt wrong:

[Image: 799b368788dbbb467499818a3638524a.png]

So this is going to get another redraw.
Thanked by:
I'm going to have to disagree with Capri Sun, now it just looks like a de-saturated mess.
The blue was fine.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by: RisingManes, Baegal
Okay, thanks.

So you know how I wanted to tweak the hair because it's lulzy? I have a comparison between this tweak and the one I started with... any advice?

[Image: trainer0001xv3_zps9204deb9.png]
Thanked by:
The one on the right reminds me of my jewfro. But, the right doesn't look bad at all, personally if you're going to go with the hair having a lot of volume, I'd give it some more length, possibly shoulder length. That's just a personal preference though, either way I think both are looking good.
The left is also good, but the hair standing up in back doesn't seem very natural, I feel you could incorporate it better.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by:
I can't really make it shoulder length since I'm going for a specific character.

Anyway, since then, I had more advice from Keiang. (I wasn't supposed to mention him, but he's in here, so...) This is what I got, compared to the initial sprite:

[Image: trainer0001xv4_zps1f2debbc.png]

Something about that bothers me still... :/

EDIT: ...GYAZO TO THE RESCUE.

[Image: 3b90ac78bd6f4456fa39ec810f2eb253.png]

The middle one was an earlier version I had gyazo'd before for my convo.

EDIT2: So I got started on the VS sprite at last, but something feels missing in the lineart. I'd like to fix the lineart before moving onto shading, so...

[Image: 9ca92accd5d52b1d818a1b67561b9eac.png]

EDIT3: YAY REDRAWS

[Image: 7428616fe68031893a74fbd6c34bbcc6.png]
Thanked by:
Welp, done without much in the way of feedback.

[Image: ea760fe232574d07f9cf27f9056c3c7d.png]

Now I'm resizing one of the Gen IV sprites so I can edit them so I can recolor them. I'm done with resizing, so now I'm editing the backsprites:

[Image: 6a824d7c9a3dbca7d8ffcd45250d8598.png]
Thanked by:
What is feedback? >.o

[Image: 1c41336da27aa3045e518f7dc0b418e6.png]
Thanked by:
Is it me up @ 3 a.m or the way the side of his hair is shaded makes his hair look like part of a tire?

Otherwise good edits!
Respect and Care
Love for People
Faith in Christ
Thanked by:
Which side? I must know! I will not rest until this edit is done!

Woo 4 AM

...yeah, just tell me tomorrow.
Thanked by:
The right(brightest) side:
[Image: Pic_91.png]

Just leaven' the info here for ya!
Respect and Care
Love for People
Faith in Christ
Thanked by:
I really dont think it looks like pokemon style, it's because it doesn't quite match Sugimori's art style (sure, not all pokemon sprites/drawings should be sugimori-styled but it's obvious you want this to look legit)

I suggest looking closely (BUT NOT COPY) the style, and using the same techniques

Here's an example of custom work in sugimori's style, by JarJar (thread here)

[Image: vshoenn.gif]

i'll give more pointers when I'm not busy
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Sinkin
Well, as legit as a Persona character placed in the Pokémon setting could be, anyway. I'm not mimicking the style completely, just the quality. Think Jimmy Neutron/Fairly OddParents crossover, where Jimmy Neutron kept his design intact while still being animated in FairlyOdd style.

So I guess I'm trying to say that I'm only mimicking the shading. Plus, I've been working on this too long to make any significant redraws. I reaaally wanna get back to playing the game. o-o

EDIT:
[Image: 12d767b73d961b0239e859dbe2b7ba2b.png]

I'm done. Anyone wanna tweak this more? I really wanna get back to Reborn already.
Thanked by:
Not sure how to explain this but on his suit at first, I thought his red "badge" (IDK what it was) was a rose?
Made him look classy
Love : Previous(2)(3), Trollerskates(2), Nicktendo DS(2), Hiynastrike, ShadeDBZ(2), Recolorme, Sevenstitch, SupaBuddie,

Thanked by: