The VG Resource

Full Version: Manes' General Art Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm not doing this at any deadline other than my want to finish this spriteset so that I could go back to playing a certain Pokémon fangame.

However, the subject I chose for this sprite mod puts a lot of weight on my shoulder. I'm just a novice who noticed a lack of a spriteset that I want, then decided she wanted to make one on her own for her own enjoyment.

(A novice who can't foreshorten in normal drawings, might I add.)

It would not be a problem if it was some self-insert or something. I didn't know what I was setting myself up for until I got to the VS sprite and got a request for the pose.

[Image: trainer0001x_zpscc5f67ad.png]

[Image: boy_walk1x_zpsef9e348d.png]

[Image: boy_run1x_zpsce22af17.png]

This is what I set myself up for.

Now. I decided to tackle the VS sprite next, but as I mentioned before, I can't do foreshortening in a real drawing. So I had to trace an existing screenshot. If you ask me to toss that out and do something else... who am I to judge? But then, this is for my own use... and one other person.

I derped and forgot to include what I had so far.

First off Don't present stuff on a transparent background
[Image: CXsIbmJ.png]
When we import it into Paint, It will give us a black background, which conflicts with some of the black pixels in the sprite.

Honestly the sprite is good in itself but I feel like the contrast between the head/hair and the tux is too prominent. Tone it down a bit
Oh, sorry. I'm new at presenting stuff. My usual tools are image manipulation programs, so... yeah.

Is the contrast too high? I figured it was fine for a darker Pokémon game. Anyway, perfect chance to tweak the hair a bit, too; ever since my grandfather mentioned it looked like an afro, I could not unsee it:

[Image: trainer0001xv2_zpsffc2813a.png]

Also, a confession: Keiang did the torso for the trainer sprite, and the overworld sprite is a recolor of a previous reshade/tweak of... an edit:

[Image: 749a82b8541b19c584f8d12becd0d048.png]
[Image: 325fe023444f65972ea76d689c2880b4.png]
lolgyazo

I guess that's how these kind of sprites work.

(Yeah, this is a P3 Protagonist sprite for Pokémon Reborn...)

Taking all the credit didn't feel right. Then again, my original art community was deviantArt, do take that as you will.

EDIT: I also made good on the promise of scrapping that one VS sprite. I was halfway done with the lineart before realizing I got the shirt wrong:

[Image: 799b368788dbbb467499818a3638524a.png]

So this is going to get another redraw.
I'm going to have to disagree with Capri Sun, now it just looks like a de-saturated mess.
The blue was fine.
Okay, thanks.

So you know how I wanted to tweak the hair because it's lulzy? I have a comparison between this tweak and the one I started with... any advice?

[Image: trainer0001xv3_zps9204deb9.png]
The one on the right reminds me of my jewfro. But, the right doesn't look bad at all, personally if you're going to go with the hair having a lot of volume, I'd give it some more length, possibly shoulder length. That's just a personal preference though, either way I think both are looking good.
The left is also good, but the hair standing up in back doesn't seem very natural, I feel you could incorporate it better.
I can't really make it shoulder length since I'm going for a specific character.

Anyway, since then, I had more advice from Keiang. (I wasn't supposed to mention him, but he's in here, so...) This is what I got, compared to the initial sprite:

[Image: trainer0001xv4_zps1f2debbc.png]

Something about that bothers me still... :/

EDIT: ...GYAZO TO THE RESCUE.

[Image: 3b90ac78bd6f4456fa39ec810f2eb253.png]

The middle one was an earlier version I had gyazo'd before for my convo.

EDIT2: So I got started on the VS sprite at last, but something feels missing in the lineart. I'd like to fix the lineart before moving onto shading, so...

[Image: 9ca92accd5d52b1d818a1b67561b9eac.png]

EDIT3: YAY REDRAWS

[Image: 7428616fe68031893a74fbd6c34bbcc6.png]
Welp, done without much in the way of feedback.

[Image: ea760fe232574d07f9cf27f9056c3c7d.png]

Now I'm resizing one of the Gen IV sprites so I can edit them so I can recolor them. I'm done with resizing, so now I'm editing the backsprites:

[Image: 6a824d7c9a3dbca7d8ffcd45250d8598.png]
What is feedback? >.o

[Image: 1c41336da27aa3045e518f7dc0b418e6.png]
Is it me up @ 3 a.m or the way the side of his hair is shaded makes his hair look like part of a tire?

Otherwise good edits!
Which side? I must know! I will not rest until this edit is done!

Woo 4 AM

...yeah, just tell me tomorrow.
The right(brightest) side:
[Image: Pic_91.png]

Just leaven' the info here for ya!
I really dont think it looks like pokemon style, it's because it doesn't quite match Sugimori's art style (sure, not all pokemon sprites/drawings should be sugimori-styled but it's obvious you want this to look legit)

I suggest looking closely (BUT NOT COPY) the style, and using the same techniques

Here's an example of custom work in sugimori's style, by JarJar (thread here)

[Image: vshoenn.gif]

i'll give more pointers when I'm not busy
Well, as legit as a Persona character placed in the Pokémon setting could be, anyway. I'm not mimicking the style completely, just the quality. Think Jimmy Neutron/Fairly OddParents crossover, where Jimmy Neutron kept his design intact while still being animated in FairlyOdd style.

So I guess I'm trying to say that I'm only mimicking the shading. Plus, I've been working on this too long to make any significant redraws. I reaaally wanna get back to playing the game. o-o

EDIT:
[Image: 12d767b73d961b0239e859dbe2b7ba2b.png]

I'm done. Anyone wanna tweak this more? I really wanna get back to Reborn already.
Not sure how to explain this but on his suit at first, I thought his red "badge" (IDK what it was) was a rose?
Made him look classy
Pages: 1 2