Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Crediting a sprite sheet with no credit "license"
(09-10-2015, 06:19 AM)Petie Wrote: I agree, for the most part, but to play Devil's advocate, work is still involved in the ripping process. Someone spent their own time and effort to compile that sheet. It's a stretch to make this work but it can be argued that, if someone wants to use a sheet that wouldn't otherwise have existed without someone else's effort, it's not entirely unreasonable to ask them to do so (or otherwise, rip the content yourself). Like I said, it's a stretch since there's nothing to be gained by ripping it a second time but I'm just trying to show an alternate thought process.

I think we should come up with a formal answer here though so I'm proposing the following:
  • If credit is required, credit the ripper.
  • If credit is requested, but not required, credit them anyway.
  • If there is no mention of credit or credit is specifically not required, it's up to you. Common courtesy says to credit them regardless though.
  • Permission required tags will hereby only be applicable on custom work with the exception of re-hosting permission. If a sheet, even a non-custom sheet, has a tag that says it's only allowed to be hosted on X, Y, or Z and you want to put it up elsewhere, ask the ripper. In fact, this should really be done regardless if taking content from this network to put on another site.
  • For custom work, credit really should be mandatory and permission is up to the creator. Keep in mind that customs based on existing characters must still follow the rules of their parents (i.e. no commercial projects).
I don't really think this is an ethical dilemma or that the original creator should have to get involved in this process. I think it's just a matter of common sense and courtesy but having it spelled out doesn't hurt. If you have any feedback on this, just let me know.

Seems fair

Well, the "ethical dilemma", if any, was non-custom things have permission walls, so yeah...

Anyways, thanks for clearing that up!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crediting a sprite sheet with no credit "license" - by DarkGrievous7145 - 09-10-2015, 09:21 AM