Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Crediting a sprite sheet with no credit "license"
(09-05-2015, 11:52 PM)puggsoy Wrote: There aren't any concrete rules about tags, but here are some bullet points off the top of my head:
  • A tag is not required. In this case you can generally use the sheet as you want, although it is polite to credit the submitter.
  • A tag can request permission, credit, or both. Some also request that you don't claim the rips as your own, or that the sheet may only be hosted on certain websites.
  • When permission is requested, that means you should ask the ripper for permission before using their rips publicly.
  • When credit is requested, that means you should credit the ripper for ripping when using their rips publicly. Obviously it is good practice to credit the original game developers for the actual sprites.
  • The previous bullet point obviously doesn't count for custom sheets; in this case the submitter is the creator. Regardless of the tag, it is good practice to both ask for permission and give credit when using custom sprites.
  • If you are asking for permission but are unable to contact the submitter, give credit and state that you tried asking for permission. If they see you using their sprites in the future and ask for you not to use them, do so.
  • ZIP files may contain a credit.txt file; this serves the same purpose as a tag on a sheet and should be treated as such.

It might actually be a good idea to make a wiki page about tags.

yep...
still dislike the permission thing for rips. It feels kinda unethical to me when it is the original creators or present copyright holders of the work who should have final veto on the use of them. Custom work is another story, i've even seen some people be quite lax on their usage terms with it...shocks me, really!
anyways...
even with all the effort one took to rip...really seems a stretch to claim authority over the use for something they didn't actually create...
The "only for archive on <x sites>" doesn't bug me, except in cases that site goes down or something... Also, I won't do that as of yet cuz it creates future confusion for me, or someone who finds my rips/customs. There are like three sites I post content to. Some of them may share sprite-rips, among other things with each other... and oh, if one ever changed, or a new one added ...yep... "uh-oh!"

the not claiming as own is totally reasonable.
I kinda wish credit tags mentioned the original devs/artists...actually
but then again, they sometimes can be hard to contact/locate...if even remotely possible

Yes, a wiki page could be a good idea.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crediting a sprite sheet with no credit "license" - by DarkGrievous7145 - 09-07-2015, 01:29 AM