Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
How Can I Display a Downloaded Model with Texture in Blender?
(08-18-2013, 06:00 AM)Bahmo Wrote: Unfortunately, no. I'm not sure what you mean by having the texture file "in the same place" as the object file, and switching the view to rendered mode confirms it's just a flat black color; no texture there. I do know how to create an Image texture out of the included PNG files, but not how to get it onto the model. Also, I'm using Version 2.68.

What he means by in the same place is if your model files is in the root of a folder named MarioModel for instance, the textures need to be in that same location. Better example is this:

"C:\MarioModel\model.smd" could be your file's location. Your texture files would need to be in the exact same location.

To note though, I have no used the SMD importer in quite some time, and I don't remember if it had proper material/texture support. If it doesn't, then this is what you will need to do.

With your model to be textured selected, split the main window in half and set one to UV Editor. Then tab into edit mode for your object, and it should show the model's UVs in the UV Window. Here you can click open to get the texture file into Blender. It may have already been imported however, so check before you go importing the textures so you won't accidentally have duplicates.

After that, if you set the render options to textured, the model will have its textures now. Note you'll have to do that for all models. Now if you want to make the texture renderable, you'll have to apply them to the model by way of the material editor. Basically you add a new material, go into the textures tab, add new texture, change the type to picture/video (Might by image/video, it's been a while) and select the texture from there. Then you'll need to set the UV options from generated to UVs/UVMaps, again, I don't quite remember the names. And you will have to do this for all models as well if the textures don't import automatically.

Hope this helps!
I post stuff randomly. I hope you people like what gets posted.
Thanked by: moongiense

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Can I Display a Downloaded Model with Texture in Blender? - by ItsEasyActually - 08-18-2013, 12:42 PM