The VG Resource

Full Version: How Can I Display a Downloaded Model with Texture in Blender?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been trying hard to learn this program since 3-D Studio Max 7 wouldn't work on my new computer, and I wasn't about to buy a newer version, but damn; it's confusing.

Still, hopefully, someone can help me with this. I've downloaded a number of models from your site, and right now, I am looking to render Mario from Mario Sports Mix (I am using the High-Poly SMD) version. I have the model imported into Blender just fine; now I just need to get the included PNG textures onto him. Can anyone help?
(08-18-2013, 04:13 AM)Bahmo Wrote: [ -> ]I've been trying hard to learn this program since 3-D Studio Max 7 wouldn't work on my new computer, and I wasn't about to buy a newer version, but damn; it's confusing.

Still, hopefully, someone can help me with this. I've downloaded a number of models from your site, and right now, I am looking to render Mario from Mario Sports Mix (I am using the High-Poly SMD) version. I have the model imported into Blender just fine; now I just need to get the included PNG textures onto him. Can anyone help?

Sure thing, Bahmo. I've used Blender A LOT/I'm using version 2.49 and it's served me VERY WELL.

First off, if you have the texture files in the same place as the OBJ/or SMD file, you're already golden there. Now, to get the textures onto the model/Where the textures can be either PNG or JPG, there should be a box called "Object Mode" and next to that should be a yellow box with rectangles in it/It's called Draw Type.

Click that, and a window will pop up & display some options. Click the option called "Textured" and the textures for the Mario model should pop on like a glove.

I've rigged up models for MikuMikuDance so, I figured out how to make Blender work real nice.

Hope that helps out, Bahmo.
Unfortunately, no. I'm not sure what you mean by having the texture file "in the same place" as the object file, and switching the view to rendered mode confirms it's just a flat black color; no texture there. I do know how to create an Image texture out of the included PNG files, but not how to get it onto the model. Also, I'm using Version 2.68.
(08-18-2013, 06:00 AM)Bahmo Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, no. I'm not sure what you mean by having the texture file "in the same place" as the object file, and switching the view to rendered mode confirms it's just a flat black color; no texture there. I do know how to create an Image texture out of the included PNG files, but not how to get it onto the model. Also, I'm using Version 2.68.

Ah. My bad then. Sorry I couldn't help you out.
(08-18-2013, 06:00 AM)Bahmo Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, no. I'm not sure what you mean by having the texture file "in the same place" as the object file, and switching the view to rendered mode confirms it's just a flat black color; no texture there. I do know how to create an Image texture out of the included PNG files, but not how to get it onto the model. Also, I'm using Version 2.68.

What he means by in the same place is if your model files is in the root of a folder named MarioModel for instance, the textures need to be in that same location. Better example is this:

"C:\MarioModel\model.smd" could be your file's location. Your texture files would need to be in the exact same location.

To note though, I have no used the SMD importer in quite some time, and I don't remember if it had proper material/texture support. If it doesn't, then this is what you will need to do.

With your model to be textured selected, split the main window in half and set one to UV Editor. Then tab into edit mode for your object, and it should show the model's UVs in the UV Window. Here you can click open to get the texture file into Blender. It may have already been imported however, so check before you go importing the textures so you won't accidentally have duplicates.

After that, if you set the render options to textured, the model will have its textures now. Note you'll have to do that for all models. Now if you want to make the texture renderable, you'll have to apply them to the model by way of the material editor. Basically you add a new material, go into the textures tab, add new texture, change the type to picture/video (Might by image/video, it's been a while) and select the texture from there. Then you'll need to set the UV options from generated to UVs/UVMaps, again, I don't quite remember the names. And you will have to do this for all models as well if the textures don't import automatically.

Hope this helps!
(08-18-2013, 12:42 PM)ItsEasyActually Wrote: [ -> ]After that, if you set the render options to textured,

Where do I do that?
(08-19-2013, 12:41 AM)Bahmo Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2013, 12:42 PM)ItsEasyActually Wrote: [ -> ]After that, if you set the render options to textured,

Where do I do that?

[Image: RenderType.png]

This is what it should look like except you'll have a texture loaded in while I don't have one loaded in.
I'm still not getting a result. By the way, how do I post an image here? Because I have a screenshot to give you an idea what I have done.
Here's the tutorial i used to learn how to apply textures to models in blender

http://forum.nystic.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9479

Note: the pictures on the site aren't there anymore but the text is which is pretty much the whole tutorial anyway.
I have done such a tutorial as well. None of it helped me make any sense of the current model. Note that I have not been able to find any UV coordinates on it by selecting it and putting it into edit mode. That's what makes this different from a cube tutorial; there you apply an unwrap to a model yourself, and since it's a square, that's easy. I expected this one to have the unwrap done already, since it comes with a texture. If it isn't done, then...damn.

For the record, here's where I got the model. Perhaps if someone here downloads the Mario model and screws around with the SMD file, they'll be able to solve this mystery. For all I know, SMD files are just like that, but the DAE files crash blender 2.68, and last I checked, there is no fix yet.
I really don't see how this is so hard. This is pretty basic Blender stuff.

I just imported it myself, and the SMD doesn't import the texture files automatically, but everything is split into materials as it should be. All you do is import the file, select it. Then make two split windows (Right click and split or click on the little triangle in the upper right and drag to make another window.) Set this one to UV Editor. Then back on the far right side, with the object selected, go to the materials tab. Tab into edit mode, and with one of the materials selected, press the "Select" button under the window list. (There will only be two materials: mario_tex.png and c00_eye00.png) Then when you have it selected, in the UV editor window, you'll see the UVs. Then just press open (In the UV Editor window) and go into the images folder and "open" the corresponding png file. That'll display it in the Texture View in the viewport. To view it when rendering the model, you have to do as I told you before.
It works! It's-a-him, Mario! Thank you!