Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Colored Wario Land 3 Wario sprites
Thanks for the pointers, TD. With regards to making SMB3/SMW-style sprites, the reason for that is I'm a strong believer in authenticity, so I'd almost always go with with a first-party developer styled sprite than an original custom one (I know, that doesn't go well with this site). And actually, looking at the WL3 sprites, they're actually very close in style to SMB3 that I figured the best route would be just to color them. (Also, there are so many "SMW-style" Wario sprites on the internet that look horrendous.) I made the sprite to be actually used though. And despite the fact that it probably would take more experienced spriters a small amount of time to make this... (although his 10 minutes is impossible. You can't even cover a whole sprite sheet with mechanical motions like copy and paste in 10 minutes) I still spent time on it so that other people don't have to. And just as a good example... there's a colored WL1 sprite sheet out there. Now that's becoming used in games like Super Mario Fusion Revival because it's the only one out there -- despite the sprite looking completely mismatched with SMB3 Mario.

With the colors, I actually ripped them straight out of the WL4 sprite (you can probably see it if you look at the comparison pic). Maybe it's being lazy, but that's also part of me just wanting to stick with the standards made by Nintendo. With the shading, I used the SNES SMB3 Mario sprites as a based, and noted where the direction of lighting is on all his body parts... his stomach, biceps, nose, and cheeks were where the light was aimed, even when the lighting seemed inconsistent. I just followed that, but I agree with your thoughts on the face and will probably change that next time I get around to working on it. Same goes for the pants and gloves. Thanks!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Colored Wario Land 3 Wario sprites - by Mag - 07-27-2011, 10:08 AM
RE: Colored Wario Land 3 Wario sprites - by CouchTomato - 07-27-2011, 11:00 AM