The VG Resource

Full Version: Colored Wario Land 3 Wario sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, here's a colored Wario Land 3 sprite sheet I made because for some reason, no one's done it. Not ALL of his sprites are done, but mainly just the ones that would be of use to game makers.

Please let me know if it's eligible for submission or if I should make any changes first.

[Image: WarioSpriteSheet.png]

And here's a comparison with the originals for reference:

[Image: WL3ColorSheet.png]
sorry to break your bubble, but this is pretty much nothing. ignoring the small attemp of shading you did on them is really bland, the question "why would you need, as a valid resource, to recolor gameboy sprites when you already have game boy advance sprites wich are not only more detailed, but are as well shaded properly" rises on top of this.

is this just because felt like pretending you were doing something profitable? do you really consider you should be awarded with some merit for those? i can tell you that you'd barely get any merit for this from anyone worth its time, considering that it can be done by any monkey with 10 minutes of free time.
(07-27-2011, 01:28 AM)CO2 Wrote: [ -> ]sorry to break your bubble, but this is pretty much nothing. ignoring the small attemp of shading you did on them is really bland, the question "why would you need, as a valid resource, to recolor gameboy sprites when you already have game boy advance sprites wich are not only more detailed, but are as well shaded properly" rises on top of this.

is this just because felt like pretending you were doing something profitable? do you really consider you should be awarded with some merit for those? i can tell you that you'd barely get any merit for this from anyone worth its time, considering that it can be done by any monkey with 10 minutes of free time.

Wow, can you be any more tactless?

To answer your first question: Style. Most fan games use either an SNES SMB3-based or SMW-based Mario sprite. Some games like Mushroom Kingdom Fusion put them together in one game. Now put the Wario Land 4 sprite next to that and tell me does that look like they match?

[Image: MarioAndWario.png]

Not only that, but the WL3 sprites would be generally easier to skin into custom suits than the WL4 sprites. Finally, Wario Land 2 and 3 arguably represent the peak of Wario Land games, and are hence the classic form of Wario, akin to SMB3 and SMW Mario.

Second, next time someone asks for advice, don't stick yourself on a throne and start belittling other people's efforts... otherwise you come off as a dick. Now if I came off saying "this is the greatest work ever, and you should all be thanking me for this!" then by all means. What may be a trivial task to you is a more serious effort to someone else; this is only my second spriting job ever. I even had to check your age out of curiosity because I thought you were an angsty 15-year old drunk with internet anonymity and didn't want to have to stoop to your level.

Third, check out your rule #1 in "Read before you post."
OK, let me start by saying that Wario Land 2 & 3 was my favorite platformer on GBC. Big Grin

The thing is, recoloring sprites isn't anything new though, It's really easy and require very little effort. Instead of presenting this to the comunity, how-about trying out something more original, like a custom sprite or really good edit.

I can see your point in the pic you posted, WL3 Wario does look a lot more like SMB3 Mario, but CO2's point still stands, It doesn't take much to do it. Try posting some customs or heavy edits next time. Look at the dictionary and some of the tutorials there, etc. There's some really useful info there, even for people who aren't new to spritng. Cute
(07-27-2011, 09:25 AM)CouchTomato Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-27-2011, 01:28 AM)CO2 Wrote: [ -> ]sorry to break your bubble, but this is pretty much nothing. ignoring the small attemp of shading you did on them is really bland, the question "why would you need, as a valid resource, to recolor gameboy sprites when you already have game boy advance sprites wich are not only more detailed, but are as well shaded properly" rises on top of this.

Wow, can you be any more tactless?

To answer your first question: Style. Most fan games use either an SNES SMB3-based or SMW-based Mario sprite. Some games like Mushroom Kingdom Fusion put them together in one game. Now put the Wario Land 4 sprite next to that and tell me does that look like they match?

[Image: MarioAndWario.png]

Not only that, but the WL3 sprites would be generally easier to skin into custom suits than the WL4 sprites. Finally, Wario Land 2 and 3 arguably represent the peak of Wario Land games, and are hence the classic form of Wario, akin to SMB3 and SMW Mario.

Second, next time someone asks for advice, don't stick yourself on a throne and start belittling other people's efforts... otherwise you come off as a dick. Now if I came off saying "this is the greatest work ever, and you should all be thanking me for this!" then by all means. What may be a trivial task to you is a more serious effort to someone else; this is only my second spriting job ever. I even had to check your age out of curiosity because I thought you were an angsty 15-year old drunk with internet anonymity and didn't want to have to stoop to your level.

Third, check out your rule #1 in "Read before you post."

I think you missed his point in the hostility (although that seemed tame for around here.) His hostility, not yours.

He was trying to encourage you to go and make sprites that are even better. The goal of these is to provide proper Super mario world style Wario, correct? Then why not go the extra mile and actually made a Super Mario World Wario. It can even be heavily influenced by the Wario land 2-3 sprites.

Regardless, you did ask for help with these, so help you shall get. The biggest issue I see with these is that they come across as nearly flat. This is probably due to a combination of the colors used requiring more contrast than they currently have, and the shading not quite emphasizing the shapes. The pants are especially in need of work. At first glance I thought they were lit from below. I think the real issue is the face is shaded as if light was coming from more or less above, while the the rest of Wario is shaded as if light was right in front of him. I think if you throw a longer highlight to the right of the ear and arm it will go a long ways to fix this. I'd also recommend adding some shading to his gloves.

Finally, don't respond to harshness with sarcasm or more harshness around here. The locals are more inclined to rip you to shreds if you do.
Thanks for the pointers, TD. With regards to making SMB3/SMW-style sprites, the reason for that is I'm a strong believer in authenticity, so I'd almost always go with with a first-party developer styled sprite than an original custom one (I know, that doesn't go well with this site). And actually, looking at the WL3 sprites, they're actually very close in style to SMB3 that I figured the best route would be just to color them. (Also, there are so many "SMW-style" Wario sprites on the internet that look horrendous.) I made the sprite to be actually used though. And despite the fact that it probably would take more experienced spriters a small amount of time to make this... (although his 10 minutes is impossible. You can't even cover a whole sprite sheet with mechanical motions like copy and paste in 10 minutes) I still spent time on it so that other people don't have to. And just as a good example... there's a colored WL1 sprite sheet out there. Now that's becoming used in games like Super Mario Fusion Revival because it's the only one out there -- despite the sprite looking completely mismatched with SMB3 Mario.

With the colors, I actually ripped them straight out of the WL4 sprite (you can probably see it if you look at the comparison pic). Maybe it's being lazy, but that's also part of me just wanting to stick with the standards made by Nintendo. With the shading, I used the SNES SMB3 Mario sprites as a based, and noted where the direction of lighting is on all his body parts... his stomach, biceps, nose, and cheeks were where the light was aimed, even when the lighting seemed inconsistent. I just followed that, but I agree with your thoughts on the face and will probably change that next time I get around to working on it. Same goes for the pants and gloves. Thanks!
I don't understand why you chose to use WL4 colours and SMB:AS style shading. All Stars had horrible shading and colours next to Wario Land 4. I seriously suggest you don't take All Stars has an example.
I made a comparison and noticed you only used a select few from the WL4 palette. You didn't follow All Stars's style closely, if that was your intention. The colours from WL4 are either too bright, too contrasted or too saturated.
For now it lies between WL4 and All Stars.
I've made two edits of the original WL3 Wario, one in All Stars style and one in WL4 style.
[Image: A0Z8T.png]
The first step I took for the AS sprite was to take the colours from other AS sprites; I then shaded my edited sprite in a similar way to the AS Mario.
I did the same thing for the WL4 sprite, except I took a few liberties to make the likeness better.

And I have to agree with CO2 on this one, you could do more interesting things: you could make one of your own characters or existing characters from scratch into a style, for example. And after that, you could go on into doing something completely original!
In the meantime, I suggest you look for sprite styles that are interesting look at, then try and analyze and after that apply what's being done in a bit more detail.

Good luck!
I probably should've mentioned that I literally squeezed this in on a whim before packing to go to med school. So that's why I worked on that because I just had enough time to (it'd be nice if I could do more interesting things though). I intended to do a blend between SMAS and WL4 for coloring, but now that I look at it, I really like how that looks though, so whenever I come around to this again I'll give one of those styles a shot. Thanks! Also, how come the SMAS version you made did not get a pink nose (or blue-rimmed eyes)?
I think its because the style has a limit of colors perhaps? Look at Mario's gloves. He has no gloves.

Either way what I think you should do is not just recoloring but restructuring. Try to make the sprites better in model and in color. Look at what I whipped up just now.

[Image: dkofswing.png]

See how I took the original sprite and made its anatomy bigger and different. This is a good practice challenge to get you adjusted to making better sprites of a particular style.
(07-27-2011, 05:35 PM)CouchTomato Wrote: [ -> ]I probably should've mentioned that I literally squeezed this in on a whim before packing to go to med school. So that's why I worked on that because I just had enough time to (it'd be nice if I could do more interesting things though). I intended to do a blend between SMAS and WL4 for coloring, but now that I look at it, I really like how that looks though, so whenever I come around to this again I'll give one of those styles a shot. Thanks! Also, how come the SMAS version you made did not get a pink nose (or blue-rimmed eyes)?
For what it is, it's not worth it. SM:AS is an incredibly lazy (and sloppy, in my opinion) style, in the way that they tampered very little with the original sprite, changing the occasional colour in some places. I didn't put the blue around the eye or the pink of the nose in because it wouldn't be very noticeable. SM:AS relies a lot on unchanged outlines, so I kept the eye's outline as is.
You could compare this sheet of enemies to this one: as I said, very few changes made to the palette apart from shading.
(07-27-2011, 09:25 AM)CouchTomato Wrote: [ -> ][Image: MarioAndWario.png]

Hilariously, none of them match. Stop kidding yourself and just make a custom Wario sprite that fits the style instead of recoloring another one that looks totally different. If you want a real SMB3 styled Wario, take a look at this.
http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&...1&id=18253
(07-27-2011, 05:35 PM)CouchTomato Wrote: [ -> ]I probably should've mentioned that I literally squeezed this in on a whim before packing to go to med school. So that's why I worked on that because I just had enough time to.
Why not submit your sprites for C+C when your ready instead of posting a 15 minute recolor rush-job?

And I don't see how someone telling you that re-shades aren't worth the topic = an angsty 15-year old drunk with internet anonymity. Really?
I'd also like to remind the OP that we could've warned him for flaming for saying that.
(07-29-2011, 02:01 PM)Iceman404 Wrote: [ -> ]there are some examples on MFGG.
http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&...=3.10,4.20

wich hilariusly none of them match but are edits of the smb mario as well.
Atleast TheWario10's is legit. :I
to an extent, yes. and making the comparision with the ones posted on this thread, they just outdone them in terms of quality.

but then, smb3 sprites are butt ugly.
Pages: 1 2