Users browsing this thread: 13 Guest(s)
Doodles and Finished Pieces
Hmm, no. I can't say I've ever had much joy trying to be expressive with a tablet. I only really use it for colouring, personally. I'm much happier doing sketching and inking by hand~

I mean I guess if you got one of those absolutely HUGE wacoms
but they cost an absolute arm and a leg x:

REGARDLESS. Still try and exaggerate slightly! You don't have to start adopting caricature into your style, but it might be an idea to study it a bit c:
I initially posted a quick doodle based on the photo you were using but I realised it was terrible so I edited it out again :v
[Image: 6WzBw.gif]
le lurp~ some drawrings o mine Blank
[Image: IiIQzhm.gif]
it's all very naise but it doesn't feel like you're progressing to me. Sad
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
Yeah man, college is really eating up my free time to work on art studies Blank
Its why i can only keep a journal at the moment with the occasionally sketch thrown in; but i assure you that my understanding of shading and control has improved :v
I have done some pages since and they are a smidge better Wink

I will be spending my summer cracking down hard and hurdling through all of loomis and bridgman till im GAR

EDIT: also jesus do i need to work on facial variety; does anybody have any idea for practices i could do to expand those?
Thanked by:
There's a few ways to change up your faces.

The most obvious is doing some caricatures. This exercise is pretty good: http://cartooncave.blogspot.com/2010/10/...types.html
What you do is use a video or tv show and draw characters based on the people in them. Personally I find it's best if you watch something you have no interest in or drawing from TV that someone else is watching, so that you don't get too distracted :v

Another is drawing random shapes and drawing faces to fill 'em. There's a few of those here as a starting point (although I imagine you're quite capable of drawing your own squiggly shapes :v ): http://design-a-character.deviantart.com...y/24434896
A useful thing here is, once you've filled a shape, try and draw the same head from a couple different angles so you can get a feel for an overall design.

Last one I can think of: FURRIES LOL.
Okay, not really, but drawing characters based on animals can be helpful. Start by drawing a few sketches of the animal's head, and then try to draw a human based on that animal.
Say if you're looking at a piglet
you'll probably end up drawing a kind of rounded face with an upturned nose
if you're looking at a bear you'll probably end up using big strong lines and squarish shapes to make a big scary looking dude instead
not sure if I'm explaining this last one all that well x:

You'll probably find that bar the last one, your resulting drawings will be sort of exaggerated and cartoony looking, so you'll probably have to do some more work to apply the lessons learned to your own style.
I thought of another one!

You could look for more subtle changes if you try comparing actors who tend to play vaguely similar roles or have a similar look
So, as an example compare Clive Owen, Gerard Butler and Javier Bardem (so manly) and look for ways that they differ. All three of them have sort of similar squarish face shapes, but look for what makes them distinct and try to draw a similar set of characters.

And another one!
mess around with gender. Seriously. Try to draw a woman who still reads as a woman despite having a few traditionally masculine characteristics, and vice versa. Even try drawing someone fairly androgynous. This one can be a bit harder since you'll find people will tell you it looks off when it isn't, because in drawing people tend to be kind of used to seeing fairly idealised features, especially with women x:
[Image: 6WzBw.gif]
des wtf those are ace. i'm surprised you can get so much out of just books. that and practice i guess.

i want one of those tablets where it shows the screen on the actual drawing surface.

[Image: xDxGR.png]
[Image: ZRdfkWQ.jpg]
[Image: Hpvw5.png]
"my cheeks are warm!"
Thanked by: Proton, Gwen
(04-15-2011, 11:06 AM)Old Man Cerebus Wrote: des wtf those are ace. i'm surprised you can get so much out of just books. that and practice i guess.

i want one of those tablets where it shows the screen on the actual drawing surface.

just copy master studies man.

combine dali and picasso
combine dali and alphonse mucha

and you will gain such an understanding of fucking style~~ (not that i have that yet D8)

and your great emotional characters would be fuckign godly x realism
Thanked by:
yeah i've been doing a bit of that but mostly for the renaissance dudes.
Thanked by:
a few drawings from drawing II class. posted in chronological order. the first one is a guy we had to draw; shaded with charcoal, no line. had either 5 or 10 minutes, i can't remember which.
[Image: Just_Shading.png]
the second one here uses water-soluble pencils and pen. about ten minutes. my scanner scanned it in weird and the proportions read as kind of off.
[Image: backjennyx.png]
the third one is one of the biggest things i've done, using just charcoal. it was too big to fit in the scanner i had so the bottom is cut off. 20 minute figure drawing. didn't want to smooth it.
[Image: jennybig.png]
Thanked by: Gwen
[Image: andrew.png]

What program do I use to draw??? Sad
(edit: things with smooth lines.)
[Image: DffP5jr.png]
Thanked by:
^Im guessing Paint Tool Sai. I have yet to try it though.

[Image: engiiiiine.jpg]More college still life, yay!
[Image: 9fryz.gif] [Image: QUmE6.gif]
[Image: XwNYE.gif]
[Image: qjGOacY.png]

Click the link below to view the New Super Mario Kart Project! [Seizure Warning]

giz: i like the third one most. possibly try to keep the lineart in the first stage, so's you'd be focusing on the shades.
nin: try sai. although my tablet hates sai now.

[Image: HXCdC.jpg]
faux graffiti

[Image: cA7is.png]
his name is Manny, and he only has one arm
DO YOU GET IT YET
star: you bleeping BLEEP why are you kids better than us sdfhjsdfj
Thanked by: Gwen, Star
[Image: 108bhqq.png]
Character design.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Helmo, Baegal, Kitsu
(04-17-2011, 02:39 PM)Devicho Wrote: [Image: 108bhqq.png]