Users browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)
tFR:SDtW Non Gors Workshop - NEWS! (05/31)
And thus I return yet again to barf pixels everywhere, or something like that.

[Image: ipMT.png]

Went for some halfway point between I and II, which resulted in V. No, there is no IV. That might be acknowledging that squares exist, and everyone knows that squares aren't people. naw jk I love squares f'reals.

Dicked with the eyes a bit, I personally like them but I'm pretty sure I'm breaking style with them like that.

Prolly going to go with spear plumage style 2 at this point, as it seems less cluttered.
Thanked by:
The one on the right shirtless is the way to go. Or with that jacket he used to have Tongue
And DEM hairy arms Smug (Optional heheh)
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by:
i'd like to warn everyone about a detail you should all be aware when making these sprites:

when making your character under the 64x64 box, be aware of the general scale of the characters. that sprite ekoi did is "6,2" compared to sol, but in realityt he's way taller because ekoi's one is bending his knees, arching his back foward, while sol is standing.

another sugestion is to keep any weapon or accesory as restricted as posible to your 64x64 box, otherwise you'd turn yourself and your character into a huge hitbox. keep in mind a larger sprite implies a larger hitbox, wich usually turns into normal attacks having longer range than normal characters -thus making you overpowered in most ocassions-

you can still have a way taller character than the regular cast, though you'd have to be quite creative in order to make him fit.
[Image: snk-tamtam.gif][Image: old-hanzo-ss4-stance.gif]
I'm just gonna need some weight distribution help here. Mainly, because once again I started on Gaia's sheet, this time from scratch, and not parts so that way I can have proper weight distribution in each pose. I'm mainly using Dazz's rips of "Unused Player" and "Unused Boss" as a ref for sprite construction, so thanks Dazz!

[Image: v4ora9.png]

Also the fucking horn, GONNA need some refs of the horn in angled shots.
Thanked by: Garamonde
Whoops, I didn't even see this topic.
[Image: nzpv09.jpg]
I could use some advice on shading.. and the sprite in general.
[Image: opejC.png]
Thanked by:
(03-10-2012, 04:47 AM)Meta Wrote: when making your character under the 64x64 box, be aware of the general scale of the characters. that sprite ekoi did is "6,2" compared to sol, but in realityt he's way taller because ekoi's one is bending his knees, arching his back foward, while sol is standing.
Actually, I added in the height after I was told the box was two meters tall. (the whole point why I'm doing the major downscaling really) Not to say that my initial eyeballing wasn't still overshooting it, though.

Also maybe it's just me but I'm kinda feel like everyone's just eyeballing at this point, doing what feels right in regards to scale. Tongue
Quote:another sugestion is to keep any weapon or accesory as restricted as posible to your 64x64 box, otherwise you'd turn yourself and your character into a huge hitbox. keep in mind a larger sprite implies a larger hitbox, wich usually turns into normal attacks having longer range than normal characters -thus making you overpowered in most ocassions-
If attack range were the only factor to an overpowered character, than Dhalsim and Potemkin would be banned globally. I don't know how much programming work is being put into the game, but I do hope that isn't the only factor used in balancing. Wink

That, and the particular stance chosen doesn't quite offer much in regards to horizontal range. It's actually a not very good stance for spear combat, hah.

Anyway, I return with more regurgitated sprites.

Dicked with more things. Made the spear(it's actually a voulge but I'll just call it a spear to keep it simple) a bit shorter to better fit. Made a quick version of the stance with arms, and also did a rough of what normal height might look like with a more casual stance for kicks.

Welp

[Image: k4uj68.jpg]
Alright I know I've done this once, but this is the last time I swear. After thinking about it, I've decided making a moveset for a gunmen is just to much work, so I've devised an archer/ranger character who will happen to be my new ref as well Smile
[Image: 29bgd36.png]
This way, I've already come up with different arrows and dagger slashes for moves, ones that will be much easier and won't make me want to rip out me hair.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by: Garamonde, Zadaben
Still haven't gone past this phase yet, but I'm using the emerl sprites from Sonic Battle as a sort of angle ref for the horn and Sol for walking ref.
I think I'm going to go with a more playful stance
[Image: DtXMy.png]

Edit:
Could I use 6 frames for the idle. It just looks a lot less choppy.
[Image: b70lY.gif][Image: GQuRc.gif]
Note this is just the tail movement not the entire idle stance

Another Question should the feet in the back be on the ground or can they stay one pixel up
Thanked by: Gwen, Garamonde
Aw man I should really get work done on mine shouldn't I
I just wish I wasn't awful at animating. I'll try to get something done soon, though.
Thanked by:
I look forward to seeing more of your character's sheet. As many people have said before, your character has a very good design.
Thanked by:
(03-10-2012, 12:09 PM)Gaia Wrote: I'm mainly using Dazz's rips of "Unused Player" and "Unused Boss" as a ref for sprite construction, so thanks Dazz!
Well hey, that's why I ripped it! I usually leave that sort of crap, but I found it quite interesting in this case. I also thought it might come in some use when compared to the final sprites from the game, so I'm glad you made use of it!
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
@Radular Bastard:
You managed to fit a lot of detail into the sprite, that's for sure. But a lot be can taken out because it feels like there's way too much stuff going on. For firsts I suggest removing a lot of black outline inside of it, and easy up on the shading. Easy up so much you barely have any. It also feels like his pose isn't really fighting ready. So yeah, simplify. I would feel so bad too see you already making animations when the basic sprite has more potential to fit cleanly with the style.

@Gaia:
Something tells me you're trying way to hard. I could be wrong. It wouldn't hurt to show at least how one sprite is supposed to look. Just don't end up complicating things.

@Ekoi:
You see where on I the eyes are different sizes due to angle. I suggest going with that. I also suggest redoing the hair bangs so it doesn't look so chunky.

@Ploaj:
Oh my goodness. Well one things for sure, you simply must have more going on that just the tail swaying. Make 'em bob up and down. Kids love that.
and about the feet, level them. I think the style calls for leveled feet.
[Image: DffP5jr.png]
Made an explosion to kill time. Maybe it's useful?
[Image: 9uHpd.gif]
Animation is 5 frames. 4 frames just weren't enough.
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):