Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
My Karts
[Image: Kart.png]

All the karts I have made so far, yes there are only side poses.
If you didn't know, not all of these actually appeared in a mario kart game. I could use criticism to make my karts better, and it would be much appreciated!
By the way, the horrible looking ship with a lookout tower is based off of the pirate ship in wind waker.I also did not include character emblems (for obvious reasons).
As you can see, I like Mario Kart!
Thanked by:
I don't where to start.

Oh, wait, yes I do.
Silly me.

*AHEM*

Jagged line art, shitty shading, bad color selection, gross concepts, yuck, yuck, yuck.
I can't even give you much crit that will allow you to actualy fix them.

Try to start anew.
The ghost(?) cart, the banana(?), and the sleigh are probably the worst ones.
Start with those.
[Image: garrybeusymonsters.gif]
Thanked by:
^That, pretty much.

The sprites also seem to be too small. The color contrasts are really bad; they need to be more in-depth. Certain outlines seem blurry, which is because of lack of proper shading.

Personally, I would scrap them and start over from scratch and be very diligent with each one, until it looked proper. Then you could use that as a guide on how to shade/color/outline the rest of the carts.
Thanked by:
(11-22-2009, 09:55 PM)Stooben Rooben Wrote: The sprites also seem to be too small.

Really? I thought some of them were too big. I tried to make the sizes of them be proportional to the kart in Super Mario Kart.

I guess I will start all over on them.
Thanked by:
Well, if you're going by Super Mario Kart's size standards, then they're alright. They might need a little size adjustment, but nothing too major.

Toy around with placing Super Mario World character sprites in the karts, and see how they fit in there. If they seem to be cramped in the kart, or the kart seems way too roomy, adjust the size to be more appropriate.
Thanked by:
Some of these karts are unfamiliar to me.
Gifts
[ PK - TomGuycott - MoneyMan ]
Thanked by:
zwb147 Wrote:If you didn't know, not all of these actually appeared in a mario kart game.
Thanked by:
[Image: BananaShip.png]

I think the Banana Ship(Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber) looks much better.
The top left is the new, top right the old, and the bottom is the Picture I got the concept from.
Thanked by:
The shading seems to just drop off towards the bottom of the kart, rather than smoothly blending into the kart. (Since it's a rounded object, it needs to have much smoother shading, rather than a more jagged style.) The axles (I think that's the right term for the part connected to the wheels) seem to be too flimsy...almost as if they would snap in half if the kart were flipped over. Maybe try to make those more sturdy looking.

Also, while this isn't entirely necessary, it would be nice to see the windows on the newer version of the kart to make it look a little more like what it's supposed to be modeled after.
Thanked by:
[Image: BananaShip-1.png]
The windows was a good call, and I think (only think) I fixed the shading, but I don't know since I am a new spriter. Also the Axels are sturdier.
Thanked by:
Looks a bit better, but the shading is just a little too thick. Try making it a pixel or two shallower. Also, try to add some shading to the windows in the same position as it is on the kart, so they look more like windows, and less like polka-dots. The axles need to be a darker shade of yellow than you have now as well, since they're technically under the kart. And I believe the shading on the wheels is backwards.
Thanked by:
Bring some shading up under the windows, if you can.
[Image: garrybeusymonsters.gif]
Thanked by:
[Image: BananaShip-3.png]
I made the shading shallower and added shading on the windows. I also darkened the axels
Thanked by:
The shading looks much better. Perhaps try adding the bubble window to the top front of the kart, and try adding the silver rims to the front and back.
Thanked by:
[Image: BananaShip-5.png]
Added the window and what I thought you meant by silver rims.
Thanked by: