Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Player Pitch Pit (Discussion Complete)
We've got a couple openings as of right now and based on the last few days, you all have your own ideas. Great. How do you get them in, besides derailing a topic and causing a 4-page flame war?

1. Don't make them too obscure. And I don't mean like Pit and Ice Climbers. I mean like Goomba and Octorok. These characters are generic baddies and would bring nothing to the table.

2. Make them unique- Don't suggest a character whose niche has been filled. Link, Toon Link, Marth, Meta Knight, Ike, and Roy all use swords. If your character uses something that another character uses, try to find another use for them. Can they use other kinds of weapons? Do they use spells?

3. Make sure your character has a possible move pool- This kind of goes with #2. We encountered this problem early on with Pichu. We wanted to include him, but he's effectively a smaller Pikachu. We couldn't do anything with him. Keep in mind where your characters come from. Fox, Falco, and company were used only in their Arwings before SSB64. The team had to invent attacks for them. Same with Captain Falcon. We're not Nintendo, so we'd like to not give characters made-up or completely invented attacks. We don't have the right to do so.

4. Post a sample moveset- Again, this is related to the above. You want Tingle to be playable? Well think about what he could do if he was. What would his special attacks be? We know he uses a balloon and confetti. How would that translate to a Smash game? Would it? Just because you have what you think is a great idea doesn't mean it will work. The character has to lend itself to the game. You can't shoehorn attacks into them. It never works and you can always tell.

5. Make sure you know your character's history- Banjo-Kazooie would be great, right? Well unfortunately they no longer are Nintendo's second party characters. They're off limits because they're now second-party to someone else. That's why we can see third party (independent) publishers (Sega, Capcom, Konami, etc) characters in the game, but not characters who are first or second party to someone else (Master Chief, Banjo-Kazooie, etc.)

That should work for now. I'll add to this if something pops up.

Basically, this is the new thread where you'll pitch your character ideas. Nowhere else. That will help free the forum of some clutter and will keep the topics on the rails. The ideas will be monitored by myself and Tyvon, but ANYONE can feel free to comment on an idea. Just because we don't like the idea doesn't mean you should give up on it. Try new things out.

For instance, I'll do the first one as an example and as an actual pitch.

If you've seen the DK character thread, you've seen my idea for Dixie and Kiddy. I wanted to use them together because separately they don't have enough of a movepool as playable characters.

Basic idea; Like in DKC 3, the characters are teamed up with Dixie riding on Kiddy's shoulders. They cannot be removed from each other and control as a singular entity.

B: Chimpy Charge: A bit different than Diddy's. Kiddy rolls into a ball and Dixie rides balances on top of him, as seen in DKC3. (chargable, comparably to Jigglypuff's Rollout)
Up-B: Ponytail Twirl- Dixie spins her ponytail, helping them gain some altitude.
Smash-B: Monkey Toss: Kiddy throws Dixie like an item. She then returns to him. Kiddy cannot attack while Dixie is separated from him.
Down-B: Tantrum- Kiddy throws a tantrum, damaging enemies who are close. Comparable to DK's Down-B.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
Mike Jones:
A Yo-Yo
Av Baseball Bat
A> Mace Ball
A^ Laser gun

B Slingshot
Bv Miracle Mirror
B> Twin Cross-Blades
B^ Magic anklet

Final Smash: Zoda?
[Image: scaled.php?server=441&filename=ipposig.png&res=medium]
Thanked by: Kairos
wait, is joe in or not right now?
Thanked by:
oh, so Third-Party characters count as well? Because I thought a moveset for Travis Touchdown.

B = Beam Katana (a forward slash with his beam katana, can be charged. Can walk VERY VERY slowly while charging it, like in NMH. Does a small dash forward with the katana when it's a charged attack - which is very strong, spends a lot of battery from the katana)

B+> = No idea. Maybe an attack like Lucario's Side B or Bowser's Side B, that if it's a not-so-close hit, it just slashes the foe, but when it's a close attack, Travis grabs the foe and performs a powerful wrestling move.

B+^ = Travis' motorcycle appears and he does a wheelie and an air spin with it. He lets go of his motorcycle, that can deal a small damage to foes. Disappears after hitting the ground (or maybe it can explode, doing a damage equal to Link's bombs? But that would be too fancy)

B+v = Recharge the beam katana's battery. Travis' beam katana is very powerful, but its battery has to be recharged once in a while. Press B+v to enter "recharge" mode, and press B quickly to make Travis... Fap his own blade.

TO RECHARGE IT OF COURSE.

There will be a baloon next to Travis indicating the battery's status while in "recharge" mode. Finishing recharging, pressing L/R or being attacked while in "recharge mode" will make you get back to Travis' normal controls. When the battery reaches half-full state or empty state while battling, a baloon will blink to notice you. When the beam katana has no battery, it will deal much, much less damage than usual.

Final Smash = Dark Side, of course.

Also, Travis' Smash A attacks can be based on his Death Blow animations.
Thanked by: Kairos, Solink, Alpha Six
I think this video game does call for Viewtiful Joe! But I know that would not be agreeable with the new 3rd party system. What about Animal Crosser or Mii or something?
Thanked by:
(11-10-2009, 02:30 PM)Brawler1207 Wrote: I think this video game does call for Viewtiful Joe! But I know that would not be agreeable with the new 3rd party system.

You know I think Viewtiful Joe is already in.
Thanked by:
I really think the character Balloon Fighter should be considered. It has major potential for a very interesting moveset and could add some variety in play styles. The number of the character's jumps, for instance, could be determined by his number of balloons. His B standard move could be used similar to Olimar's pikmin pluck in which BF pumps up individual balloons - maybe 4 pumps for one balloon with a max of 3. Balloons could be incorporated into different attacks such as maybe an USmash that deliberately pops a balloon as an attack. I just think Balloon Fighter would be a wonderful change of pace - a real original character.
Here's my ideal moveset in a nutshell:

B: balloon pump (already described)
B^: balloon pop (sacrifices one balloon and launches balloon fighter skyward)
or Deflation (Balloon fighter lets his balloon deflate and rides the air current to reach the stage movement could be somewhat erratic)
B>: Bumper toss (Balloon fighter throws a spinning bumper that plants mid air and lasts for a couple of seconds, not much damage but great knock back)
Bv: (this one's a little if'y) Electrocuted (based on the game in which the clouds would shoot bolts at you, The balloon fighter is jolted and takes damage but anyone touching him takes double the damage he does.)
Final Smash: Big Fish (The fish from the ice climbers stage sweeps suddenly across the stage anyone touching it's body takes good damage and anyone that gets caught in it's mouth is swept offstage)

P.S. I also think Skull Kid should be considered, mainly because "moon landing" would be a badass final smash.
You're the color, you're the movement, and the spin.
Thanked by:
(11-10-2009, 02:33 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote: You know I think Viewtiful Joe is already in.

He was. But he's most likely out now.
Thanked by:
Can we clarify if VJ is in or not?
Thanked by:
It all depends on how the voting goes.
Thanked by:
Oh I thought we decided on what Solink said. Shy
Thanked by:
If we go with Solink then only Megaman would get in for Capcom.
Thanked by:
That wouldn't be a bad thing. Solink's idea gives a nice balance to things.
Thanked by:
(11-10-2009, 03:15 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: If we go with Solink then only Megaman would get in for Capcom.

Alright I have a question does Geno really need to be considered 3rd party? I thought it was both Nintendo and Square Enix that made the game.
Thanked by:
Personally, I don't consider him third party since he's a Mario character. I don't know how others feel.
Thanked by: