Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Character Select/General Art Style
Kinda a branch off the Trophies = Cards topic, but I figured this'd be necessary for its own discussion and so the cards topic doesn't go any further off topic.

Anyway, I've had a couple ideas for character select and art style in general.

Art Style: I was thinking of adopting a Super Mario Strikers-esque art style, but a bit clearer. If you haven't seen the art style, here it is;
http://www.supermariobrothers.org/themes...harged.jpg
I feel it has a better effect for a game with "Smash" in its title, and it generally looks a hell of a lot cooler.
The art drawn would be a medium-to-large pixel art, and we could go two paths with this;
1) Said pixel art would be resized and retouched for character select art.
2) Completely different art from the versus art for character select.

Character Select
General idea: I think we should combine the art selection of Melee and Brawl and combine it with the rotating character models of 64.

Idea A
This one has more of a cybertronic take on character selecting; The old select portraits would be done away with and replaced with this holographic style of select. When the player is "off," the entire window collapses. When on, the window opens and all of the panels (HUMAN, sprite of character) open up. The sprite would rotate in 8 directions at a medium speed. When you press A, the sprite of the character would do some sort of select pose.
Here's a small example of the style itself;
[Image: ideaa.gif]

Idea B
Since we're using cards instead of trophies, I figured for this one the select style and general theme would revolve around that; each player is a card. When the player is "off," it shows the back of the card and just says "SUPER SMASH BROS. (TENTATIVE)" like the back of a trading card. When the player is on, the card flips over and has a baseball card-style GUI; most of it is art, with a small part on the side with the player number and their name. When you select a character, the card collapses and the player jumps out of the card into a select pose.
Here's a small example of the style itself;
[Image: ideab.gif]

Regardless; before I can do any of this, I need to know the resolution the game is going to be in so I know what size to make the art(s).

This is the part where I stop rambling and you comment.
I love you and I love this idea.

I like a better.
Thanked by:
Awesomenesss.

I rather like both ideas quite a bit. But I think I like B a bit more than A, even though I would require more work... maybe?
Thanked by:
I don't really like A that much. I'm not sure why I just don't. I love B though. It seems very unique and matches the card idea.
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by: Jdaster64
I pick B.
Thanked by:
Until an idea I prefer is provided, something like B would be my choice.
Thanked by:
I really like idea B. A couple notes and questions though; 1) I really hate Strikers-style art. You said not exactly Strikers, but I'd like to see what you have in mind. 2) Will there only be one character on the select screen at a time? Or will all the cards be flipped to their backing until you press the select button on one, at which point it will turn around? If the second option, how will we be able to tell which character is which? Maybe their symbol is on the back with their name printed over it?
Like this, kind of;
[Image: charselect.gif]
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: Jdaster64
No no no, idea B is that when you put the cursor over a character, your card changes to the card with your character on it. Then you pick the card and it does the "player jumping out" thing. If a player isn't active, the card is just turned around to the back.

You know, like how on the character select there's four characters, and if one is inactive the window is closed? Same thing, only the card is just flipped over.
Thanked by:
Ah, ok. That's cool. What do the actual icons that you place your cursor on look like? Just like the old ones?
Thanked by:
I was thinking something like this;

[Image: selp.gif]
- No names; the entire portrait is just their face.
- Player cards are now on the side.
- Extra options can now be toggled without going into a separate menu.

This isn't the final idea though.

(Also, the box on the bottom was supposed to be the "player number.")
Thanked by:
Is there an "extra options" button on the main games' select screens or does it have its own page?
Thanked by:
When you go to mess with the extra options like the item switches, handicaps, etc, it goes to a separate page. This format gets rid of the extra page and keeps it all on one page.

Of course, this is still speculation; I STILL have no idea what resolution the game is in so it hinders my progress.
Thanked by:
Yeah, I hear ya. I like the select screen mockup though.
Thanked by:
The item switch might still have to be its own page though; I'm not sure how that'd be worked into the new format, unless it was just a tiny popup or something.
Thanked by:
I took a shot at arranging the roster a bit...
[Image: 34s351v.jpg]

- I arranged series in squares and them pieced 'em together. Except the Pokemon, which I wrapped around underneath the Mario characters
- The second to bottom line is all single representives
- The last line is all of the third parties
- ?s are placehodlers for undecided characters
- The ?s next to ROB and Pit are meant to Random buttons
Thanked by: