Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
I hate to do a topic like this
but I'm not gonna lie.

We need to change the fucking sprite style.

The sprites are small and yet they hold so many details. It makes everything look crammed and uncomfortable. Small sprites are supposed to have smaller color counts and detail level.

Either the style needs to be bigger or needs to be completely redone.

The only sprite I can get into that's in this style is the Mario and the Ivysaur. That's it. Everything else is subpar to bad, with maybe a few more goods.

I can't even sprite in this style because everything I try looks too dark or it's messy and completely ugly. I literally can't do anything about it. A lot of the "current" sprites look really ugly as well.
We also need to rely less on tracing and such to make the sprites look "faithful" to Brawl, and more on making the sprites look good.

Just my two cents though. I'm sure most of you will disagree with me since the sprite style has been around for so long, but I just had to throw that out there.
Thanked by: -Dark-
I agree. I really want to do something easier and more fun. The current style is more of a chore to sprite in. That's why I've been working on Porky in another style.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
I'm gonna try to do a simpler, slightly larger Snake and try to experiment with a few new styles, because I'm just not feeling this one, and neither is anybody else, judging by the severe lack of activity.
Thanked by:
You've definitely made a lot of valid points there and I have to admit I agree with most of them.

The only thing I can add is that they need to look decent scaled a bit too due to the way the Smash Bros. camera works. That's not really as big a thing as the other things that were said, but I still think it was worth mentioning.
Thanked by:
Yeah, it's hard for me to keep a project going when I can't even do the style. I think the size is fine, honestly. It's the style that is the problem.
I think the key is to make it more cartoony.
Thanked by:
Well, with bigger sprites (even if it's just like, two or three pixels of difference), that opens up more possibilities and allows for even cleaner sprite production. Plus, like it was mentioned by Shadowth117, it'd look a lot better combined with the scaling system that the Smash Bros. camera uses.
Thanked by:
Well I think they're going to be scaled either way just because that's how the engine works.

[Image: lucas19.png]

For example, check out the Porky next to the Masked Man. It's close to the style, but not quite. Now look at the pod that's in the magenta box. It's cleaner, it has an outline, and it "pops." I think it's a more fitting style.
Thanked by:
I don't think they should be very big for a number of reasons unrelated to this project even. A small scale sprite is more likely to be useful to OTHER people making fan comics and games and what not. While obviously the sprites are being made for this project, it's ridiculous to think that once they're done, they won't go on tSR. A smaller style just seems more useful to everybody and easier to work with. Ton's sprites above seem like the right size to go with.
Thanked by:
Again, like I was saying, if anything I'd only make the sprites like two or three pixels bigger, not OMGHUEGFIGHTANGAEMS. I still need to screw around with possibilities.
Thanked by:
I'm actually glad that you brought this up, because the more I try this style the more I agree with you.
i'll elaborate tomorrow. i need sleep :c
Thanked by:
Well post an example oh what you mean, Tyvon. Let's see what you have in mind.
Thanked by:
Check back here in like an hour or two, I'm currently busy with a commission.
Thanked by:
Now that this topic was made, I'm beginning to agree.
[Image: 27348983yu7.png]
Thanked by:
I would like to say that I think Viewtiful Joe should stay about the same. His style is pretty well-defined.
Thanked by:
(09-04-2009, 12:49 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: I would like to say that I think Viewtiful Joe should stay about the same. His style is pretty well-defined.
Agreed on this here.
Thanked by: