Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Mr. L's Stuff
Hey guys, this will be a thread of all my miscellaneous sprites that I make. Hooray.

Firstly, I've made some super smash brothers sprites, in a style that I saw CyberShadow (CShad) make:

[Image: 2jbscxl.png][Image: 2mqn402.png]

In the picture, all the sprites are made by me except the Ness, made by CShad. I used that palette for all the sprites, so I recolored CShad's original, and made some very small edits.

I used TSR's smash brothers topic to make sure that the characters are to scale. (They're 85% of the height of the sprites shown there)

I'm not too thrilled about Luigi. =\ He looks a little off to me. Mario I think is pretty good, however, and Lucas.

C+C please and it would be super cool if any of you could edit the sprites I post here, because I usually only stop when I'm stumped. =]

Edit -

Oh, by the way, here is CShad's original Ness sprite:

[Image: iw26c6.png]
Thanked by:
Don't edit my sprites, make your own custom ones :/
Thanked by:
I know, I know. xD

Lucas is an edit of your Ness because...well...Lucas and Ness are very similar. =\

However, Mario and Luigi are 100% custom.
Thanked by:
Just because lucas and ness are similar in proportions, doesn't mean they have to be in the same pose. this is when you make an effort to be creative, yknow?

Also, you didn't really mimic cshad's shading style correctly.
you gradient-shaded most parts, and i hardly see any hue shifting.
Thanked by:
(08-17-2009, 05:24 PM)-Dark- Wrote: Just because lucas and ness are similar in proportions, doesn't mean they have to be in the same pose. this is when you make an effort to be creative, yknow?

Also, you didn't really mimic cshad's shading style correctly.
you gradient-shaded most parts, and i hardly see any hue shifting.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I used the Smash brothers poses as refs, and Lucas and Ness' poses do not differ except for Lucas's right arm. (our left)

Haha, if you don't mind...can you make an edit to show me what you mean? I see where I gradient-shaded the parts, but I'd like to see how the shading should look like.

Edit -

Actually...I'm thinking of using the style (shading, etc) I used for Mario to make my sort of own style for the sprites...so I would redo Lucas and Ness to look more like Mario and Luigi as they are now. Do you think Mario is good enough to base a style after?
Thanked by:
Nah, i'm more into showing than telling. Sorry, just lazy tbh lol

But um...
Your method of shading is rather simple, but not in a good way. It seems as if you're putting the lightest shade on the one side and gradient shading across to the other side. The problem with this is that shape is being ignored. eg, the lightest shade is at the top of mario's leg in your sprite, but his leg is bending and the light source is directly above or slightly diagonally above (from what i gather). So, the light should be hitting around his knee area most directly, while you also have to pay attention to his big belly that casts a shadow over the top of his leg. Stuff like that.

Oh and also, you put the lightest shades of mario's left arm closest to his hand, which also defies the light source being above.

As for lucas's hair, your shading is too simple for such a complicated structure (that is, lucas's hair >_>). but admittedly, i'm not so great with shading hair either. just...study some pictures of lucas i guess.
and don't forget about texture.
Thanked by:
(08-17-2009, 05:51 PM)-Dark- Wrote: Nah, i'm more into showing than telling. Sorry, just lazy tbh lol

But um...
Your method of shading is rather simple, but not in a good way. It seems as if you're putting the lightest shade on the one side and gradient shading across to the other side. The problem with this is that shape is being ignored. eg, the lightest shade is at the top of mario's leg in your sprite, but his leg is bending and the light source is directly above or slightly diagonally above (from what i gather). So, the light should be hitting around his knee area most directly, while you also have to pay attention to his big belly that casts a shadow over the top of his leg. Stuff like that.

Oh and also, you put the lightest shades of mario's left arm closest to his hand, which also defies the light source being above.

As for lucas's hair, your shading is too simple for such a complicated structure (that is, lucas's hair >_>). but admittedly, i'm not so great with shading hair either. just...study some pictures of lucas i guess.
and don't forget about texture.

Haha, it's fine. I'm extremely lazy as well. xD

Ahh, okay. I wasn't extremely sure where the light source was on the Ness sprite, so I kind of just went with it. I'll take that into consideration when I edit Mario, though. =D

All right, I see what you mean in the arm.

And...*sighs* you have no idea how many tries it took me to get Lucas's hair to even a presentable point. xD I'll go back and try again, however.

Additionally, I'm not too fond of Luigi's face entirely...think there's anything in particular I can do to make it resemble Luigi more?

Thanks, man. =]
Thanked by:
Hmm...you could make his nose extend outward a little more and make his stache bigger and darker.

and no probs :>
Thanked by:
(08-17-2009, 06:13 PM)-Dark- Wrote: Hmm...you could make his nose extend outward a little more and make his stache bigger and darker.

and no probs :>

Awesome, will do.

Anything else about him that bugs you in particular?

Oh, and +rep.
Thanked by:
There are a few small things, but i'd focus on the bigger stuff first. c:
Thanked by:
Your colors need a lot of work. You could actually use less shades and end up with a better outcome, depending on how you use the shades.
Thanked by:
Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure on how to shade the sprite, because I wasn't really 100% sure how the ness sprite was shaded...it's sort of sketchy, seeing as his shirt is striped and doesn't show much...

But I totally see what you mean about too many colors. xD I was actually thinking that while I was making the sprites...I'll go back when I fix the shading and subtract some colors. =] Thanks for the help. =D
Thanked by:
(08-17-2009, 05:17 PM)Cshad Wrote: Don't edit my sprites, make your own custom ones :/

Was this post ignored?
[Image: pitfall.gif]
[Image: misunderstood2.png]
Thanked by:
It wasn't ignored, but it wasn't really acknowledged either.

I still strongly suggest giving lucas a different pose, because right now it is still just a cheap edit. :I
Thanked by:
I sent a PM to him asking permission to edit his sprites, but he hasn't responded as of yet...=\

Though I think he means customing > editting so I should do that.

Yeah, I hear you on the stance thing. It's just that Lucas and Ness have an extremely similar stance...like, they're practically identical in brawl. However, I do plan to back and change it up as much as I can.
Thanked by: