Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Requiem main character sprite (help)
Main character. Old sprite sucked dick, so I'm doing him again.
For reference, the old one:
[Image: Irae_v4.png]

Now, the new one.
[Image: Irae_new8f.png]

Basically I've redone the palette and updated the shading style using more contrasted and slightly more vibrant/varied colors, made him taller and a little larger to better show form and posture and generally made him a bit more detailed.

Unfortunately, I'm still not sure how I feel about the new one. Something about the perspective/posture/anatomy feels off to me. The legs and head are bothering me a lot, and the visible arm is a little eh to me.

14 colors + transparency.
C+C and even edits would be heavily appreciated.

EDIT:
[Image: Irae_newf3zzxx.png]
newest version

EDIT 2: fuck that, this is the newest shit
Quote:Okay.
[Image: Irae_compiledlarge.png]
I have this sprite, and I feel its coming out pretty well - it has much better shape, definition and coloring then the previous sprite and previous incarnations of this sprite - or so I feel, anyway. The character is somewhat cold and stoic, so the almost hypocritical mixture of relaxation/stillness and firmness in regards to posture kind of works for it I feel and is what I was going for.
But I'm encountering two huge road blocks - it looks terrible on a black/really dark background, and I cannot draw an arm.
[Image: Irae_compiledlarge2.png]
The legs lose their form and sort of becoming blobby messes, and I'm not really sure the best way of correcting.

[Image: Irae_compiled2z.png]
A compilation of all the arms I've done trying to get this to work, none of which I feel work.
[Image: Irae_compiled2zz.png]
Even more so on a black background.

So those are my primary dilemmas - arm and dark background. When it comes to the dark background, what would you recommend? Changing the colors, shading, maybe even style? I can postulate as to multiple different causes and as such solutions, but I can't bring myself to apply them due to the 'changing the very basis of the sprite' factor, and the fact that I'm not sure if they would actually work in the first place.
I've been trying to fix these problems for over a week now on and off, and your assistance would be heavily appreciated. I'm kind of caging myself in on this one and need some outside opinions and assistance.
C+C please?
Thanked by:
The new one is much improved. It's much smoother, believable, and keeps that "greyscale" look while still having a flavor of color. Good work, Giz.
Thanked by:
Really much better, and I don't know to say to help to improve. The shade looks great and the contrast is just right. Technically, pretty good.
[Image: MegaEXESig.png]
Thanked by:
[Image: Irae_newf3zzxx.png]
Pretty close to the final version, not much left to complain about other then the arm and somewhat the vest on our left side.

The version on the left is probably going to be one I use, it has a few differences in the left leg and the vest that I prefer.

thoughts?
Thanked by:
Looks great, hwever, the flesh seems to meld to evenly with the metal parts due to coloration.
Is that purposeful?
[Image: garrybeusymonsters.gif]
Thanked by:
(08-18-2009, 05:30 PM)Jesus lizard Wrote: Looks great, hwever, the flesh seems to meld to evenly with the metal parts due to coloration.
Is that purposeful?

I didn't think the arms were flesh just some clothing, as they aren't shaded as so compared to the face. But if it is then ya Giz, fix that up.

Anyways this is really great Giz.
Thanked by:
Yeah, the arm on the side is clothing between the shoulder pad and armor thing. thanks for the comments btw

And the other one is mostly cloth/bandage, not that you can see it anyway.

So.

yeah. It's been a wihle and I have ont been satisfied with this sprite and still am not, though I have (in my opinion) improved it greatly and helped to guide it closer to what I want it to look like. But anyway; quote post from pixelation:

Quote:Okay.
[Image: Irae_compiledlarge.png]
I have this sprite, and I feel its coming out pretty well - it has much better shape, definition and coloring then the previous sprite and previous incarnations of this sprite - or so I feel, anyway. The character is somewhat cold and stoic, so the almost hypocritical mixture of relaxation/stillness and firmness in regards to posture kind of works for it I feel and is what I was going for.
But I'm encountering two huge road blocks - it looks terrible on a black/really dark background, and I cannot draw an arm.
[Image: Irae_compiledlarge2.png]
The legs lose their form and sort of becoming blobby messes, and I'm not really sure the best way of correcting.

[Image: Irae_compiled2z.png]
A compilation of all the arms I've done trying to get this to work, none of which I feel work.
[Image: Irae_compiled2zz.png]
Even more so on a black background.

So those are my primary dilemmas - arm and dark background. When it comes to the dark background, what would you recommend? Changing the colors, shading, maybe even style? I can postulate as to multiple different causes and as such solutions, but I can't bring myself to apply them due to the 'changing the very basis of the sprite' factor, and the fact that I'm not sure if they would actually work in the first place.
I've been trying to fix these problems for over a week now on and off, and your assistance would be heavily appreciated. I'm kind of caging myself in on this one and need some outside opinions and assistance.
C+C please?
Thanked by:
Make a game about a glowing amputee- problem solved.
[Image: tumblr_lctx1p6L3L1qzvjn8o1_500.gif]
Thanked by: Zac
I like 4 the best.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
Yeah, it's three or four for me.

Wish you could get past the main character and start making animations, though ;D
Thanked by: