Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sonic Fangame in need of spriters. [lots of content]
Hey TSR. I'm currently working on a Sonic game based on my own story and it has my own elements and whatnot. The game is a pseudo RPG/sidescroller. I won't say much on the premise but I will say that the entire story is already complete and drawn out storyboard style. I'm coming here because I am in need of capable spriters who are willing to have some input in this game and help it's completion. Now, you may be wondering WHO THE F IS THIS DUDE? HOW DARE HE COME IN HERE ASKING FOR SPRITERS. WE AINT GIVIN' HIM S&%#. Well, I've got some proof of my game to show off which might entice some people to help out. I started the game 3 years ago. Now before you ask WHY ISN'T IT DONE YET? Once you see all that I have put into it... you'll realize that it's good that I'm taking my time.

What I have to show first are some videos. The game is called Mecha Madness.

Some old boss fighting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSnjMFCs_vA

A whole level runthrough that appeared in last year's Sonic Fangames Expo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47RkOMpgln4

And finally, I have a demo of the CURRENT engine. It's grown a WHOLE LOT since those videos so I'll have to type out a description of the controls and what you can do.

This game has 4 buttons and directions. [You can map these yourself by holding ctrl and pressing Y]

Button 1 is jump [shift]
Button 2 is normal Melee attacks[ctrl]
Button 3 is Special attacks[Enter]
Button 4 is guard/dodge[ \ | ]

[Normal Melee attacks]
You can perform smash attacks [much like in Brawl] with button one. Press one direction, up, down, left and right and immediately press button 2. You'll enter the smash animation. Hold button 2 to charge the smash. Release it to perform the smash attack. Alternately, if you hold a direction for a while and then press ctrl, you do a tilt move. If you dont press any directions, you can do a 3 hit combo. Tilt moves work in the air too.
[Special Attacks]
Here's the meat and cheese of the game. Your special moves change with whatever element you have equipped. Sonic will have 7 elements to switch between to accomplish certain attacks. Without any elements equipped, Sonic can do 4 moves. Pressing button 3 without holding any directions will allow you to do a super Sonic spin. The spin will charge and then release. When it releases, you can control how it turns by holding directions. If you hold left or right, you enter the blitz charge. Holding enter while charging the blitz makes it more powerful. When you release it, you shoot forward. If you're near an enemy, it slices right through the enemy. If you hold up and button 3, you do a drill lift. If you are on the ground and hold down and press button 3, you enter the break spindash/Sonic wind mode. Break spindash works like a regular spindash. Keep tapping button 3 while holding down to charge it. Release it to shoot Sonic wind. You can do this in the air too but there's no charge.
[Guarding]
Button 4 is the gaurd button. Hold it to use your shield. Press left or right to do a rolling dodge, press down to do a standing dodge. Press up to enter shield change mode. Press left or right to cycle between the shields you can equip from. Not all shields are finished but you can test some out.
[Shields]
Shields have their own special moveset similar to Sonic's special moveset. They vary with each shield equipped so try them out. Whenever you perform a special shield move, it drains energy. [Press L to raise lightning energy. Press K to raise fire energy] So far, the fire shield is the only one that works about 90%.

Have a run and mess around with the engine. I've put alot of work into it. You can press Space to add 100 EXP to your EXP meter. Once you level up, it shows you how much your stats have increased. You can do more damage, run faster and all that good stuff as you level up. Pressing Q allows you to see a small example of the RPG text engine I programmed for it.

Here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4qqxjmndmum

Now you may ask what I need from you. It's simple. Sonic can do so many moves but I need animations for them. I also need all those animations Super Sonic and Hyper Sonic-ized. The style is Sonic Advance/Sonic battle. I don't care much if you use one or the other but they have to fit. Hyper Sonic has to have crazy spines and whatnot but I need all of his palette to be blue like Sonic's. The reason being, I change the colors of the sprites in-game so I'll have Hyper Sonic's rainbow colors flash with the engine. That makes animating HS easier because you don't have to make 7 different color variations of it. I hope some of you guys could help. If a few of you jump on board, I'll be more than happy to post exclusive updates here. I work pretty hard on this game and it already has a pretty big fanbase in the Sonic fangame community. I look forward to any of you guys helping me. Thanks in advance.
[Image: MechaMadness.png]
Thanked by:
Certainly that Sonic Sprite in your signature was made By Sato. i'd hate that you had been using it as your game's logo but failed to give him credit.
Thanked by:
(07-03-2009, 03:26 PM)DigiTamer Metaru Wrote: Certainly that Sonic Sprite in your signature was made By Sato. i'd hate that you had been using it as your game's logo but failed to give him credit.

Nah, I asked Sato personally if I could use it. We spoke via Deviantart's Private messages. He gave me the OK. I'm no thief. I'd never take a sprite and claim it as my own. I work hard enough on my own sprites to know not to steal others.

Do you have anything to offer related to the actual subject? I don't need people derailing my topic =/
[Image: MechaMadness.png]
Thanked by:
to be honest, the engine looks quite solid. but certainly i am nowhere near interested in taking part of a sonic fangame.

good luck.
Thanked by:
Wow, this is incredible. You're an awesome programmer, I'll give ya that.

I wish I could help ya but I got alot of projects on my hands.
[Image: 9fryz.gif] [Image: QUmE6.gif]
[Image: XwNYE.gif]
[Image: qjGOacY.png]

Click the link below to view the New Super Mario Kart Project! [Seizure Warning]

Thanked by:
Quote:Button 1 is jump [shift]

had to stop reading right there..that'll cause MAJOR sticky key errors, change the key for jumping lol
To make the world a better place.
[Image: DNAvatar.gif]
That is my dream, one death at a time.
Thanked by:
Well if you read above it you can set the keys to what you want.

I love this game, I've seen it on sfghq and I love the AI especially, I will lend a small hand since I know If I take too much on I wont get it finished but I can help anyway. Ill edit this post with a preview of what I can do just so you don't think I'm a complete n00b or something along those lines.

Edit: One thing I hate when people use Battle and Advance is they are different styles. For example here is an edited look up in battle.
[Image: 71190254.png]
Thanked by:
This game looks like its coming along well. I can't help with spriting, but I'm sure a lot of other people will.

(07-06-2009, 04:37 PM)Kira. Wrote:
Quote:Button 1 is jump [shift]

had to stop reading right there..that'll cause MAJOR sticky key errors, change the key for jumping lol

Why haven't you disabled sticky keys then? It takes all of a few seconds to press it five times and disable it from the message that comes up.
Thanked by: Mewthriii, Mewthriii
lol but not everyone knows this

(not everyone is computer smart, especially Sonic players, sonic is a very casual game,
and most casual gamers dont take the time to change keys or to know about how to
disable sticky keys, think about who is getting this game dude...but of course you could always just
tell them in some tutorial to change the keys how they want or something)
Thanked by:
Kira.....

1. When Sticky Keys is activated it tells you what it is and how you can disable it.
2. You can change the keys anyway so its up to the user

So really your pointing out a problem that doesn't exist if you rely on the fact that people playing this can use a computer or are able to post back to a topic asking how to turn off Sticky keys or how to change the keys.
Thanked by: Shadowth117, Shadowth117
(07-06-2009, 09:04 PM)Kira. Wrote: sonic is a very casual game

hey nice troll

also I might try this game out at some point and get my views on this
Thanked by:
(07-06-2009, 09:15 PM)Flare Wrote: Kira.....

1. When Sticky Keys is activated it tells you what it is and how you can disable it.
2. You can change the keys anyway so its up to the user

So really your pointing out a problem that doesn't exist if you rely on the fact that people playing this can use a computer or are able to post back to a topic asking how to turn off Sticky keys or how to change the keys.

lol i'm just trying to help out the players of the game...but OK, dont listen to me..
Thanked by:
Kira, I pretty much grew up playing Sonic games. That's a horrible excuse.
Thanked by:
lol AND? just because you play it doesnt mean casual gamers dont, trust me on this guys, some random casual gamer on google will see this game, and they will jump, see sticky keys turn on, and THIS will be their response:

[Image: Angry-PC-User.gif]
Thanked by:
Oh yeah your right... wait a sec, are idiots his target audience? No. You can't tell me that people who can use google to find a Sonic fan game can't use google to find out how to turn sticky keys off? So these people run in to trouble, they open the readme file or whatever he names his instruction manual and they find out they can change the keys.

What is the problem your trying to bring up cause I honestly can't see it.
Thanked by: