Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Airbag
[Image: airbag.png]
By zwb147 at 2009-06-09
I need to improve my spritin skills, so I've been working on my Airbag.
Tell me what I need to improve, because I want to submit this sheet.
Thanked by:
Not only is the lineart very jagged, but the shading contradicts itself and the colors are too close to the MS Paint defaults for my liking. On the box, the lightsource seems to come from the right, while on the enemy itself it's coming from the left. The lineart needs to be smoothed out, and in some places it doesn't even connect completely. I'm going to assume you're using the circle tool and resizing it when need be, which is a bad idea. Make the circle from scratch, it will come out much better. As for the colors, try experimenting more with custom colors instead of lightening and darkening defaults, which it looks like you did.

Fix up those issues and it will look much nicer.
Thanked by:
(06-09-2009, 07:09 PM)Devicho Wrote: As for the colors, try experimenting more with custom colors instead of lightening and darkening defaults, which it looks like you did.

Actually, I got the pallette for the actual enemy from the picture on the right of the sheet, I think the enemy colors are fine, but I'll change the shading on it. I'l change the box colors and shading.

Is this head shape better?
[Image: airbag.png]
By zwb147 at 2009-06-09

1. Original
2.New
3 and 4. New Blowing up
5. New Box
Thanked by:
It could be rounder, but it is better. However, it's improperly shaded. The shading should follow the shape of the object, like in the original sprite.
Thanked by:
[Image: airbagy.png]
By zwb147 at 2009-06-09
Is the shading any better? I shaded the other two also.
Thanked by:
Now it's fitting the general shape more. It still looks like it could be smoothed out, though. Also, the second lightest shade of pink could be omitted all together, as there is very little difference in it and the lightest pink. You could probably use the second darkest shade of pink to add anti-aliasing to the darkest one, instead of adding an extra layer with it. Try it out, because it would give it a smoother look
Thanked by:
Replace the second lightest pink with the lightest, or the third-lightest pink?

Sorry I'm new to this, what is anti-aliasing?
Thanked by:
With the lightest. it doesn't need to be there if you can barely even see it. And check the stickied Spriting FAQ topic and scroll down to Grooveman's post, there's info about AAing there.
Thanked by:
[Image: airbag1.png]
By zwb147 at 2009-06-09

Is this any better?
Thanked by:
You got rid of the extra shade, but take the other shades and smoothen them out. Make them more circular.
Thanked by:
[Image: airbag1g.png]
By zwb147 at 2009-06-09
I tried to smooth out the shading better, is it Ok?
Thanked by:
It's getting there. It could still be rounder, however, and I still think you should consider using the middle shade to AA the darkest one.
Thanked by: