Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Seperating beginners from the rest.
I've recently seen that in the spriting discussion board, a lot of new people are getting bashed horrificly for their work - which is fair enough. A lot of the members here are long time spriters that have been at it for years, and it is annoying to have the space clogged up by what can not be considered fantastic work.

However, it's out of order. Stop being arseholes to new members.

So, I propose two boards - Beginners and Professional (if that can be considered a term)

The beginners forum would be for recolours, light edits, and people only just beginning to do scratch work.
Professional for heavier edits, and scratch work.

It's all well and good to say you're helping them in the long run, but not actually telling them what's wrong and calling them idiots and acting like elitist pricks is not.
I'm only doing this because it seems a lot of you have no balls.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
Beginners - Experienced.
[Image: 472_gliscor_1_m.png]
Thanked by:
That'd be a better term, I couldn't really think of anything Tongue
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by:
I like the idea, since it'll help control the influx of "lesser" pieces where people don't want to see them (ignore the poor sentence structure I just woke up and am writing directly from thought) and it'll show where all the best spriters here post, but at the same time i doubt new people are really gonna post in the beginner board because they might think they're better than us.
Thanked by:
This is just going to open doors to even more people getting flamed. If someone who thinks they're experienced because they've been using MS Paint for a "whole month," posts some very bad sprites in "Experienced", the trolls are just going to have them for breakfast. It also opens up avenues for alts spamming pillow shaded line arts in the "Beginners" section.
Thanked by:
And in that case, a mod comes in and moves it. If they continue to post in the wrong place, alike all other boards, we restrict their posting.
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by:
Go ahead - as long as you can keep that visible gap between the Requests/Fangames and these two spriting boards.
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by:
I think it's an alright idea. The boards have been seeing an influx of recolors and edits lately. Sometimes even requests ;O

I'll be glad to keep track of both boards, since I visit Sprite Discussion the most anyway. :]
Thanked by:
IMO we could have it so new people in general had to post in the beginner board (either force it or have it on the rules) for the first two weeks or whatever so at least they know the standards, even if they are experienced spriters.
Thanked by:
It could be possible for "Beginners" and "Experienced" members to be restricted in such a way that said group can only create threads in their given board, but make it possible for them to post in the other given group's board. Once a Beginner has pretty much proven their skills, they can apply for membership for the "Experienced" group. Though, I'm not too sure how the group system works here on this board.

I'd like to see the idea implemented, but I do have my concerns.
[Image: yokoatherantsig.jpg]
¡ I AM NOT KEI, GOD DAMMIT !
¿¿¿ Super Special Awesome Link ???
Thanked by:
I was going to suggest something like that but I figured it would be pretty tough for the mods. If there was an easy way to implement it (maybe having it so if enough experienced spriters voted for them after a nomination) it would be awesome. If we had a pro section for people like 1up and Bab it would be hella tight too.
Thanked by:
Yeah, I know. That's the main flaw with what I suggested.

Though, if put forward, it could be eased with some members being temporarily promoted to mod status help out.
[Image: yokoatherantsig.jpg]
¡ I AM NOT KEI, GOD DAMMIT !
¿¿¿ Super Special Awesome Link ???
Thanked by:
I would suggest two simple rules/etiquette:

If you're the one posting a sprite: You posted to show off and ask suggestion to improve, so deal with the critique.
If you're the one reviewing/commenting a sprite: Remember to critique is different from bashing. Give constructive feedback or shut up. For example "She looks fat" is different than "She looks fat, maybe if you remove one pixel or two from the rip may help"
[Image: MegaEXESig.png]
Thanked by:
(05-22-2009, 08:14 AM)Tuna Unleashed Wrote: If we had a pro section for people like 1up and Bab it would be hella tight too.

Not that this couldn't be done, but since there are only about a handful people good enough for this category on these forums it would be kind of pointless to add an extra section just for them. 2 sections should be good enough.
Thanked by:
I think the beginners/experienced distinction can be easily handled the same way as Custom submissions are handled: If it's your first time, you have to post in the beginners section, and if it's up to snuff, you get told by a mod that you're allowed to post in the experienced section. If it isn't, then you get critiques for your work in the beginners section and you can work more on it there until you work your way up to Experienced.
Thanked by: