Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Gettin paid to pixel
Yeap, some one was slow enough to hire me! This guy at school is makin a game at school, and he thinks it'll "BE BIGGER THEN CAVE STORY!!" hahah. Theres no chance. But money is money right?
[Image: creature.png]

Oh and uhhh, here's his sketch of the character, or well what I derived the character from(now you see what I'm workin with XD)

[Image: 55777899.png]
Thanked by:
The tail is not in a very natural pose.
Thanked by:
(05-13-2009, 08:29 PM)Torres. Wrote: The tail is not in a very natural pose.
Yeah I know what you mean, it's also pretty jagged. I'm workin on fixing it now.
Thanked by:
J., I'm gettin paid 30 bucks. Which is more than enough for me, considering how poor a pixler I am.
Thanked by:
According to your piece, your rates would be around 7$/hour

30$ for a complete cavestory game or for 1 animated char is not enough Tongue
[Image: logodarkshire24bit.png]
Thanked by:
Yeah but it's a student piece I think.

Care to explain how rates are estimated, Elk? Would love to hear from a pro.
[Image: ZRdfkWQ.jpg]
Thanked by:
the harder and more detailed piece the expensive it gets while more simple and/or smaller works are more cheap(since they're faster to finish). at least thats how I do it.
Thanked by:
Yeah but isnt that too arbitrary. :<
[Image: ZRdfkWQ.jpg]
Thanked by:
(05-14-2009, 02:24 AM)Elk Wrote: According to your piece, your rates would be around 7$/hour

how do you come to that conclusion?

cuz i wanna know how much im worth B)
Thanked by:
Shawn, your worth a hell of alot more then me! Also Elk I'm also curious as to how you estimate the price. Mind filling us in?
Thanked by:
(05-14-2009, 02:06 PM)Pokehater♂ Metaru Wrote: the harder and more detailed piece the expensive it gets while more simple and/or smaller works are more cheap(since they're faster to finish). at least thats how I do it.
Yah, pretty much this.
Thanked by:
(05-14-2009, 02:39 PM)Mr. Buttbutt Wrote: Yeah but isnt that too arbitrary. :<

it has to be that way. since there is no real way to set a table of prices for every job since i manage them individually according to the complexity and customer. I ask for more when i know they can pay more, and i ask for nothing when i know they can't pay much(because some publicity is always welcomed, and i know how much it sucks to have no budget to make a game/project), or even as for double the price since i know its a dead-walking project and i know i won't get full paid for it(hence why I always ask for 50% first). i've made some works for some MMO's, but everyone knows that from 10 MMO projects just 1 barely gets some attention or its actually played by someone.

it all comes down to be honest with one's ability and ask for what one thinks his works deserves.
Thanked by:
Thanks Metaru, that's pretty helpful information.

And now time for some minor content.[Image: creature.png] between tests, homework and projects I don't have much time to pixel, but atleast summer is coming. This guy whose makin the game, won't tell me anything about the characters, and seemed to disapear at the end of the week. So I don't know what's goin on :/ Atleast I got 15 bucks outta it, and if he cancels the game, or keeps this up I'm just gonna pull out guilt free. Also I'm very dissatisfied with the tail on the duck, but at this point I'm not in a really caring mood.
Thanked by:
You're aaing the oustide of the sprite, which makes them kind of usless on different BGs. And you're not even really doing it right. Awful designs too.
Thanked by: PrettyNier, PrettyNier
just remember, its a job.
Thanked by: