Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[concept art] Link Redesigned
[Image: Concept_Link.PNG]

I need important input on this; classic shoulder-armed sword or hip-armed sword? I was thinking hip-armed...

NOTE: I'm not looking for crits on the art or anything since it's concept. Just what you guys think would be cooler.
Thanked by:
shoulder holder's fine. keeping it behind him makes him prone to his arms hitting the sword while sheathed. it also makes for awkward unsheathings of blades ):
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by:
I think the shoulder armed looks better too, if just for nostalgia.
Thanked by:
From the hip just makes more sense. You have a better range of motion from a side and pull quickly, plus you can slash in your unsheathe easier. But if you want nostalgia, then go for shoulder, but the whole point of this seems to be redesigning Link to your likings. Personally, hip-sword makes more sense.

Thanked by:
Hip; looks awesome.

His undershirt should look less plain too imo.
[Image: 472_gliscor_1_m.png]
Thanked by:
Like I said, this is all just concept, I left out most of the "details."

Thanks for the input though, I'll wait for a few more answers before I make a decision.
Thanked by:
Hip, IMO. Easier to unsheath, potential to attack as you're doing it.
[Image: 10f6z6b.png] [Image: 10f6z6b.png] [Image: 10f6z6b.png]
Thanked by:
nope
go for over the shoulder

Link doesn't carry a katana, he has the Master sword and is more of a medieval euorpean style swordsman
(and yes, I know medieval european knights or whatever also had swords on the hip but w/e)

go for the shoulder; it looks better
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
The shoulder version seems more practical. I know you were trying to go for something more interesting, but the hip version seems like it would make it uncomfortable for him to unsheathe his sword. If you can make it look good in animation I suppose the hip version would be perfectly fine, though. It would be more interesting, considering Link usually slings his sword over the shoulder.
Thanked by:
alsooooooo
the shoulder version keeps the whole "backpack" look that link has when keeping the hylian shield on his back with it
it looks like he's got a lot of stuff under there (like items, etc)
Thanked by:
I like the hip holder. It's less awkward. I've always thought it's a little impractical for him to have it over his shoulder, and when I read the Elric Saga I grew to appreciate the hip sheath.

Also, you should put his shield on the belt, on the opposite side of his sword, and give him a brown rudimentary sack for a pack, to hold all his shit. And for the record this paragraph was MY idea. I say this because I'm using it. Go ahead, but don't take credit.
Thanked by:
also if the sword is on his back then there is no reason for him to have the belts across his tunic
and if it's not on his back he can't do the "sword flip and sheathe" victory pose

edit- also since he's left handed it'd be waaaay to cumbersome for him to be able to quickdraw a longsword from his right hip and he'd just probably end up injuring himself
Thanked by:
(04-25-2009, 02:01 AM)Vipershark Wrote: also if the sword is on his back then there is no reason for him to have the belts across his tunic
Shield and shoulder armor would like to have a word with you.
(04-25-2009, 02:01 AM)Vipershark Wrote: also since he's left handed it'd be waaaay to cumbersome for him to be able to quickdraw a longsword from his right hip and he'd just probably end up injuring himself
Uhh, if he's left-handed it'd be a hassle to draw from the left and if he was right-handed it'd be too cumbersome to draw from the right.
Have you ever tried drawing from the right when you're right-handed? It's very awkward. That's why people who are hip-armed draw from the opposite side. It's less awkward and if you injure yourself drawing a blade correctly you really shouldn't be using a blade in the first place. Drawing a sword isn't like drawing a gun, you can't just draw from the same side as your drawing arm.

(04-24-2009, 10:45 PM)David Reinold Wrote: Also, you should put his shield on the belt, on the opposite side of his sword
That sounds like it'd be a pain in the ass to walk without your shield actually IN your hand :F
Thanked by:
Well, you've still got it on his back and to me, that seems like even MORE of a pain. Either way, it's not on his arm. You can put it on his arm if you like, it was just a suggestion.

Also:
Quote:It's less awkward and if you injure yourself drawing a blade correctly you really shouldn't be using a blade in the first place.
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read V/P's post. Honestly, swordsmen more amateur than Link have been able to draw from their hip without injuring themselves.
Thanked by:
reason number one: the shoulder just looks better
it looks much cooler for link to draw the sword from behind and above him
especially when he like jumps off of something to attack his enemy and quickdraws to a vertical slash
Thanked by: