Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
2 Souls' Tale (previously named The Loving Couple's 8-bit Action/RPG)
=REVIVING AFTER A SEVERAL MONTH HIATUS=

If you're a TSR newbie, this is a project my girlfriend and I started and are intending on finishing. The project didn't stay popular on TSR and with a lack of updates with anything new (I held back to prevent spoilers, but I don't know if I should keep that all underwraps entirely), so it wasn't long before it was pushed it off the board.

For those who don't know: The previously unnamed project has been named 2 Souls' Tale as we've finally settled on a name for it. The gameplay has elements from Odin Sphere, Modern and Retro Castlevania, as well as elements thrown in from many different series.

The main story is inspired off the Captain N cartoon as well as the Chronicles of Narnia.

You play two real people who have found themselves thrust into a plane of existence they previously assumed didn't exist and are now trying to find each other and leave in one piece. However, the worlds are reduced to small fragments of what they once were, Dark Matter is trying to enslave what remains to create its own version of "order", worlds are at war with each other, a shred of Dark Matter in wraith form is hunting the humans' every step, and every side wants these two humans to get involved (when they'd rather not) for their own reasons.

To alleviate the role of each sheet's subject, I've removed their former categories and listed them by series instead.
All sprites are custom made and will be added to as time goes on.

THINGS THAT HAVE CHANGEVery Sad
* For easy importing into Game Maker. All sprites are to be seperated into a grid with individual cel dimensions being the same size to house every animation of that sprite set. There are to be 2 pixels width between each cell north, south, east, and west with a 1 pixel width for the grid's circumference. The exact dimensions need to be written somewhere on the grid; most preferably in a cell where no sprite is present. Do not worry, your credit tag can still be added.
-------------If you can't organize it yourself, let me know, and I'll do it for you.
* We are currently without a programmer due to his leaving without warning. So positions for programmers are open.
* Number of enemies unique to each world has been lifted from 20 to house as many as 50 though it isn't required to have that many for each world.
* Areas are now seperated by an overworld map instead of a loading room like in modern Castlevanias. This is due to the fact that building an exact map including all worlds on the same screen would get extremely complicated.

CURRENT ACTIVE STAFF:

Kit-Airheart :: Story Writer, Script Writer
SmithyGCN :: Lead Pixel Artist, Concept Artist
Mozzaratti :: Lead Music Composer
Jelleye :: Lead Programmer
Pilgrim John :: Artistic Consultant
Tonberry2k :: Assistant Consultant
Chris2Balls :: Assistant Pixel Artist
ShyGuy Grey :: Assistant Pixel Artist
Deathbringer :: Assistant Pixel Artist
Level 40 Dragonair :: Assistant Pixel Artist
Dex :: Assistant Pixel Artist
MagikoopaMarth :: Assistant Pixel Artist

INACTIVE MEMBERS:
(This includes members that have served during development at some point and have either left or haven't contributed in a while)

Solink/Gabby Jay :: Assistant Pixel Artist
Beaver92 :: Promotional Artist
Rukifellth :: Assistant Pixel Artist

FINISHED WORKS:

Originals-
Kate - Event 01

Mario Bros.-
Pokey
Tweeter
Chain Chomp
Fuzzy
Hooligon
ZombieShroom & GhoulShroom
Shy Guy :: by Shyguy Grey
Autobomb
Goomba
Amanita
Bob-omb :: by Shyguy Grey
Mekabon
Mekabon's SCUD
Kuribo's Shoe
Animated Blocks
Platform A
Trampoline
Area Select Icons

Final Fantasy-
Kracken
Phantom Train Tile Set

Castlevania-
Platforms A
Peeping Eye
Stone Rose [NEW]
Belmont Class Skill - Stopwatch
Belmont Class Skill - Grand Cross
Belmont Class Skill - Axe
Belmont Class Skill - Holy Water

Mega Man-
Flea
Peterchy
Mole :: by Deathbringer

Chrono Trigger-
Gaspar
Dragon Tank Background Prop

Mother-
EVE

Faxanadu-
Priest
Eolis Female NPC Type A
Eolis Male NPC Type A
Items
Store Clerk A
Store Clerk B
King Eolis
Chiyaron
Mini-Spire
Spire
Tower A
Tower B
World Tree Ascension Tile Set
Kingdom Eolis Tile Set
Eolis Castle Background
Eolis Background Layer II
Eolis Entrance Background

Tower of Druaga-
RC, BC, & GC Rods

Monster Party-
Man-Eating Plant

Ghoul School-
Cornea King

Miscellaneous-
Eye
Leaves
Shooting Star
Prompt Balloon
Intro 1
Intro 2
Intro 3
Intro 4
Intro 5
Intro 6
Intro 7
Enemy Summon Effects
Chimney Smoke
Bird [NEW]

STUFF THAT CURRENTLY NEEDS TEH ORGANIZIN':

Mario Bros-
Kamek, Bogmire, Meidou, and Black Jewel
Warp Pipes
Corkpedite
Firebar, Roto-Disc, and Podoboo
Bowser's Keep Tileset
Shy Guys & General Guy - ShyGuy Grey

Legend of Zelda-
Gleeok
Like Like
Moblin - WIP Chris2Balls
Patra

Odin Sphere-
Cornelius (Human form)
Cornelius
Belial
Wagner
Revenant

Kirby Series-
Ribbon
Kracko & Kracko Jr.
Sir Kibble
Javelin Knight

Final Fantasy-
Ramuh
Carbuncle
Ghost Passenger

Wizards&Warriors-
Earth Elemental
Water Elemental
Malkil

Castlevania-
Talos
The Creature & Igor
Skeleton

Mother-
Porky
Mega Man-
Dr. Light

Faxanadu-
Rocstan
Isis
Michonid
Priest

Phantom Fighter-
Jiang Shi

Amagon-
Flatwoods Monster

Various-
Worlds Map
Mothman
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
Thanked by:
I absolutely loved/love this Big Grin
Maybe change the skeleton's eyes, add a dot of light on Peeping Eye, and I'm not so keen on the transformed sprites...
Anyway, good luck on this, I really want to see this finished!
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
So has your coder returned?
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
Man I missed this project. Can't wait to see what happens with this.
Thanked by:
Okay, I'll make fixes to those. Um,transforming sprites?... Which ones are you referring too?

@Dazz - Nope. He's still MIA at the moment. I may have to look for another programmer or learn it myself.

I'll try to be regular with updates.

EDIT:
Also added a few old sheets plus one new one-
Bowser's Keep Tileset and Firebar, Roto-Disc, and Potoboo under Mario Bros and Jiang Shi under a new category 'Phantom Fighter'.
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
Thanked by:
Smithy, can you post the worlds map you had in the previous topic, so that anyone unfamiliar with the setup wouldn't need to look through all those pages?
Doofenshmirtz: This is a little bit awkward but have you seen my escape jet keys? (Perry nods) What, you have? Well that's great! So where are they? (Perry looks away) You won't tell me? Is this because you don't speak or are you just being a jerk?
~Phineas and Ferb, "One Good Scare Ought to Do It!" (2008)
Thanked by:
This project is still fucking awesome, although considering the content, it might be better in Fangames. I'll leave the choice up to you though, I'm cool with either. I hope you find a coder soon. =D
Thanked by:
(03-13-2009, 09:13 AM)SmithyGCN Wrote: Okay, I'll make fixes to those. Um,transforming sprites?... Which ones are you referring to?
I was thinking of Porky and Wagner for instance (rotated wings/pincers...): I don't know if you fancy smoothening/drawing over the rotated sprites, but it'd look not so 8-bit.

Thanked by:
JiangShi? That was unexpected.
I guess I got some work to catsch up with now Tongue
Thanked by:
@Deathbringer: very well, here it is: Worlds Map

@Grooveman.exe: it probably would, though, ultimately, that is the administration's choice.

@Horus: I understand what you mean, but we are merely imitating sprite style and not necessarily the hardware itself. Don't worry though, it's not like we're going to use that graphical effect on most of the stuff in the game.

@Rukifellth: Nice to know that you're still willing to lend a hand.
God is good.  Big Grin

Thanked by:
I love that Map Smile
Okay, it's not the hardware side that bothers me, it's just the look of the rotated sprites which I'm not comfortable with. But as you say, there are very few sprites which actually need this, so it's up to you to clean it up or not Wink

... and you say we can help?

Thanked by:
(03-13-2009, 06:30 PM)Horus Wrote: I love that Map Smile
Okay, it's not the hardware side that bothers me, it's just the look of the rotated sprites which I'm not comfortable with. But as you say, there are very few sprites which actually need this, so it's up to you to clean it up or not Wink

... and you say we can help?

If you're interested, of course.
God is good.  Big Grin

Thanked by:
Of course! Big Grin
The reason why I didn't ask before was that all the sprites were done by yourself, so I wasn't sure if this was just to display your work, and get some crits, or if it were to get some people to help out.

Thanked by:
Most of the work is done by me, yes. So far, Magikoopa Marth and Rukifellth have helped out, but I have yet to post the work because it's there's and I'd like to seek their permission first (even though it is for our project).

This project used to be just personal between Kate and I, but we've since allowed others to join in and contribute ever since we saw Rukifellth's work.

Here are some basic rules in following the style:

As a general rule, aside from minor pixel height differences and unless otherwise noted in special cases, all human and anthro characters are of similar hieght. There are a total of 20 unique enemies to each world and no more than 8 boss battles *though more than one boss may be present during a battle and isn't counted*.
We try to avoid using too many recolors and have open ideas for npcs so plenty unique designs are allowed. However, all npcs must be a character from a game, but we will allow for one original character to represent the person responsible, though it is required that you are a regular contributor before this is allowed *wants to avoid what happened with GNDNo.009*.
A reular contributing artist's oc cannot go outside of npc status, though, but may have a sizable number of animations, though it isn't garaunteed how many will eventually be used in the final product.

If you want to save spriting time on larger bosses, you may split it into pieces that can be rotated, however, this isn't required and you may sprite each individual frame if you deem it necessary.

In a tileset, you may have any number of tiles in it. The limitation on it has been lifted since the game's initiation. The tile size is 16x16.

Characters and other things from light-hearted themed games use less black than characters and things from darker themed titles. (Ex: Kirby will have black in just his outline, but Trevor Belmont will use black as one of his shades). There are some special cases in which the character in question is going insane (ex: Kamek).

Walking and running animations are generally 5 sprites a cycle, but may be extended to smoothen out animations of more complex or larger characters (like E.V.E. for example).

NOTE: If you want to sprite a specific character, tell me in a post or a pm, I'll tell you whether or not he is an important character or not. If he has no significant importance to the story, you can create the character anyway, but as an npc. If the character does, keep specific animations I'll give you in a reply on how the character should act in mind when spriting him.
God is good.  Big Grin

There's still some stuff back on the old topic, like Lilgrim1991's stuff.
That Bowser tileset looks fab.

Thanked by: