Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Giving credit.
I'd like to formally say that I am using images from this site.

However, since you guys are missing a majority of the sprites I'm using (Pokemon Ru/Sa/Em/Fr/Lg), I've had to get a ROM and rip them myself.

Therefore, I'm not giving credit, and that's where this discussion begins.

Why the hell do you sprites request that others give credit? For example, if I was to make an online pokemon MMO, like those MMO's that use the browser to play, I would not like to have a "Credit" page, giving credit to a bunch of guys who sat on their butts, playing Pokemon and ripping sprites all day.

Also, the sprites don't belong to whoever rips them in the first place. The sprites belong to Nintendo, and that's where credit is due.

TL;DR: I ain't giving credit to whoever ripped the sprites I use, as they don't belong to the rippers in the first place.

This is my first, and last post. G'bye!
Thanked by:
(03-04-2009, 03:37 PM)QTR Wrote: I'd like to formally say that I am using images from this site.

However, since you guys are missing a majority of the sprites I'm using (Pokemon Ru/Sa/Em/Fr/Lg), I've had to get a ROM and rip them myself.

Therefore, I'm not giving credit, and that's where this discussion begins.

Why the hell do you sprites request that others give credit? For example, if I was to make an online pokemon MMO, like those MMO's that use the browser to play, I would not like to have a "Credit" page, giving credit to a bunch of guys who sat on their butts, playing Pokemon and ripping sprites all day.

Also, the sprites don't belong to whoever rips them in the first place. The sprites belong to Nintendo, and that's where credit is due.

TL;DR: I ain't giving credit to whoever ripped the sprites I use, as they don't belong to the rippers in the first place.

This is my first, and last post. G'bye!

They made your job easier. Good riddance, you ungrateful fuck.
Thanked by:
Members took time out of their own lives to rip sprites for others. The people who rip/create the sprites NEVER get that time back, and want just a little credit.

Even if the sprites don't belong to the rippers, they still took the time to allow YOU to use the sprites.

You don't even need to add a credit page, you can add a little line somewhere that says "The sprites used here were from tSR".

Oh and if you were to make a Pokemon MMO, it would fail miserably because almost all MMOs based on video games are never finished.
You seem to think that the rippers want credit for making the sprites. This is not the case.
Rippers are servants. They ease your job, whatever it is. They're aware that the sprites are not theirs.

If you're so moral about it, you should consider:
-Reading the game's credits and finding out who the sprite artists were
-Finding out who dumped the ROM in the first place to find out who you can thank for the ROM
-Finding out who hosted and distributed the ROM so you can thank whoever made it possible to get the ROM
And several other people.

When it comes to custom sprites, it's a whole different story.
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by: Miles07, Miles07
(03-04-2009, 05:40 PM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: When it comes to custom sprites, it's a whole different story.

To explain this more in depth, Custom sprites were made by the user who made them was put up because they felt that it could be useful for those who are making a fangame/sprite comic/flash or whatever that is based off a certain style, However because it did not appear in the game itself and was made by that member 100%, you have to get credit for them (Also premission to use if it says so) because they made it all by them selves.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
I never ask for credit in regards to sprites I ripped.
But if someone refused to give credit for using sprites I made, then I would get PO'd.

I will confess I do get annoyed whenever I see a sheet of ripped sprites claiming to do unspeakable horrors to me for not giving credit to the ripper... >_>
Try ripping even one little animation with any good emulator to see why credit should be given. I've never even ripped a full animation and I know how hard it is.

And, again, if you're going to be such a dick about the issue, replay the game, find the production team for the sprites, search up who made each individual sprite, who made the pallete, and credit them on an even longer page than one of the person who ripped a large group of them.

Instead of one name, expect to see about 20 or so.
Still thinking of a new name.
(03-04-2009, 05:40 PM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: You seem to think that the rippers want credit for making the sprites. This is not the case.
Rippers are servants. They ease your job, whatever it is. They're aware that the sprites are not theirs.

If you're so moral about it, you should consider:
-Reading the game's credits and finding out who the sprite artists were
-Finding out who dumped the ROM in the first place to find out who you can thank for the ROM
-Finding out who hosted and distributed the ROM so you can thank whoever made it possible to get the ROM
And several other people.

When it comes to custom sprites, it's a whole different story.

This, exactly. Credit isn't necessary at all, but it's always nice to say thanks.

Also, if you're making a Pokemon fangame, chances are it's no good anyway. Cute
(03-04-2009, 06:45 PM)tonberry2000 Wrote: Also, if you're making a Pokemon fangame, chances are it's no good anyway. Cute

Especially if it's MMO to add on (Cute)
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by: Ultimecia, Ultimecia
We deserve to get something back for putting time and hard work into ripping and arranging the sprites onto a sheet some sprites are hard to capture. If they custom made it or edit something then thats is a different story.

I used to feel the same way but after doing some ripping on my own I figured out that the people that work hard to get what they can deserves something back. After all we all do this for fun and on our own free time but we have the option to share it with everybody else.
avatar and signature custom made by me Smile

My TSR sprite topic
[Image: ZoidsProject.png] last updated on: December-22-09 fixed weapons sheets 1 and 2 and the republic and imperial sheets
[Image: l_b489bf24c48c43a689123b07de56b838.gif]<-----my first sprite I made

[Image: zoid_but_1.png]--- come and visit my zoids sprite site.

I don't care what jerks say/think.Tongue
I know everyone has said what already needs to be said to you, but you're pretty much saying that when I took the long haul to assemble sprite parts that I ripped into the poses found in a game (especially since a lot are hard to get in the first place), was a waste of time and taking advantage of my free time using the stuff I andmany others painstakingly put together for people like YOU to use.

Yeah, you are sounding pretty ungrateful.
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
Everyone else has pretty much stated my opinion. You're being a jerk saying no one deserves credit after they worked really hard on ripping the sprites in the first place.

Oh, and rippers might sit on their butts ripping, but apparently you're sitting on your butt doing whatever you're doing using them. Seriously, if you weren't going to even follow up your post, why even post here in the first place? To cause trouble? Oh well. It seems you're wrong, but hey, you're not coming back. You don't care. So yeah, good riddance.
My 2 cents, because my opinion may be kind of twisted.

I rip sprites because I enjoy it. I don't rip it to become well known, and sure, it helps people, so I'll distribute what I rip because people like it. But the joy of ripping from something is that with it I learn how certain things work in an artistic sense, ways of animation, even to some degree how a game implements its graphics.

For the most case, I find ripping easy. It's when it becomes hard that I'd like to have a bit of thought go my way, a nice "That was nice of him" sort of thing. For the most case, I'll stick a tag on saying "You can give me some credit IF YOU WANT" - That's the way I think it should be.
But even so - other people may want to become well recognised for the work that they put in to actually get the stuff for you. The exact same goes for any part of a business that uses someone else's research, or even a photo.
"I could have researched that" or "I could have taken that photo" results in serious penalties. Of course, this is sprite ripping, a touchy subject already, so those penalties will not be enforced here. We release sprite rips on public trust that we all have in that "they won't be total jerks".

Sure, you can go ahead and be a jerk - but don't expect a community of a few ten thousand strong to think positively about you in the future.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you