Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Marth
This is the topic for the SSB Project Marth sheet.
Thanked by:
[Image: 33cao7t.png]

If it's okay, mind if I bump to say that I (sorta) fixed Marth's head problem (if anyone else fixed Marth's problem)?
Thanked by:
Neck is too thick.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
[Image: nco1u1.png]

Take your pick; I'm just screwing with Marth's head now.
Thanked by:
(06-14-2009, 11:32 AM)Gaia Wrote: [Image: nco1u1.png]

Take your pick; I'm just screwing with Marth's head now.

Well I guess I would say number 6 looks good
Thanked by:
You made him wider and recolored him.
Is that all or am I missing something, because it still looks like the old project.
Thanked by: Ton, Alpha Six
The shape is slightly better, I think, but the colours are wrong
Thanked by:
OK, so yeah, I'm really not a fan of those colours. I had a go at editing them myself to make the sprite more true to his Brawl appearance, and to fit more in the current style. I initially meant to only go for a slight re-colour, but after looking more in-depth at the sprite, I noticed quite a bit was off from how he looked in Brawl. This led to a good hour or two of solid work. Unsure

I also noticed his head is really small. Like... REALLY small. I made another with a slightly larger head, too, for comparison. Anyway, here they are. The one on the left is the old one, and the two on the right are my edits:

[Image: marthsprites.png]

So... what do you think? Better? Worse?
[Image: guitarmaaan.png]

Thanked by:
There are a few tweaks that need to be made, but, the new ones are definitely much better now
Thanked by:
The shading and structure are all bad. All of it. The sprite needs to be redone, not... resized and edited off the original.
Thanked by: Kitsu
(05-17-2010, 03:33 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: The shading and structure are all bad. All of it. The sprite needs to be redone, not... resized and edited off the original.

Hmm?

It doesn't really help when all you say is "Do it again" without specifying what exactly is wrong with it. I can't really pin-point the wrongs with the structure... I can see the shading is a little off, and I'll fix that, but what exactly in the structure don't you like?

I know I'm not a good spriter, but if you don't like it, just sprecify so I (or someone else) can make it better.

Actually, when I come to think about it, the shading isn't all that bad. When I was working with it, I put him alongside the other sprites in the line-up and frankly, the shading styles were very similar. I tried to make the style as similar as I could without screwing it up majorly, but nonetheless, I'll go through it again and try to make some fixes.

Besides, I actually ended up changing the sprite quite drastically. I didn't just do a re-colour, because I did find multiple things that didn't fit the style. I pretty much completely re-did the lower body, and everything else went through a lot of editing to match how he actually appears in Brawl.

I didn't however do much to the cape (except re-clour it and do a few minor edits). I'm just bad at capes full stop.

Anyway, I'm goin' off my rocket here.. Unsure I'll work some more on the sprite now, and post an update later.

Thanked by:
I did. I said "all of it."

The entire sprite is literally just a stretched version of the original, retaining all of the problems the original had, and more. The sprite needs to be re-done, with the new style in mind-- not just given a new palette and left to chill.

FYI I'm not really critiquing "yours" as much as I am "the original." It needs to be done over with the new style, palettes, shading and sizing in mind.

I could pick the entire sprite apart and tell you every little detail that's wrong with it, but it's a waste of time because there's something wrong everywhere. It makes more sense to just say "do it over."
Thanked by: Ton
I think I get what you're saying, but I really don't think it's all that necessary to start from scratch. I played around with it a bit, and came up with this. I changed the shading quite a lot, and the legs got a complete makeover (because the knees were WAAAY too low).

[Image: 90776756.png]

Is that any better? Still not what you're after? I put it next to the line up, and It seems to fit well to me. I'm not sure where I read it, but I remember finding one of the older topics here baring "It doesn't have to be 100% in style. As long as it looks good beside the others, it's fine." Actually, I remember finding that within the first topic of the Fantasy Smash project. Does that rule stand here too?

Thanked by:
But it doesn't look good on its own. It's still a resize of hte old one. The colors are too dull and lacking contrast, the build is far too large, the shapes are too polygonal, the sword is way too short, the details are placed very badly, and the shading is very random and odd.
Thanked by:
Ahh, alright then. I really must say a few things though. I took the colours right off pictures of Marth from Brawl, and in the game he is actually coloured quite dull. It gives a nice gritty look. And by build, what exactly do you mean? If you're saying he's too "fat", I was working off the Captain Falcon sprite for size reference. He's still heaps smaller that Falcon, and to make him any smaller in build would bring him to skin and bone. I did also notice the sword was very short, but that's because it's supposed to be on an angle toward the screen. That's how it is in brawl, and I just tried to replicate it as much as I could with polygons. The only way I could to that was to make it shorter, unless of course I made the sword poke through the ground, which would be wierd. And as for the details, what makes you say they're placed randomly? The reference pictures I had sugget otherwise, seeing as I pretty much tried to replicate how he looked in Brawl, which includes the positions of such things as gems and what-not.

As for the shading, I don't necessarily agree. I pictured a "light source" to the upper right, and you'll notice the shading is infact based that way. It may be centred more so in the tunic for example, but I was merely trying to work with the effect clothing has against lighting. It's like in a painting, y'know? The "artist" has to take into account all the different kind of materials, and adapt the light reflection to fit this properly.

Other than that, I can't say much againt what you said about it being polygonal. It is a bit edgy, aye? Anyone care to fix it up to their liking?

BTW - I'm not dissing your criticism or anything. I'm just trying to express my views on this (just said that in case you got the impression I was ignoring your criticism and not considering it). Smile

Thanked by: