Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
pikmin 2D platformer
Pikmin sprites done right.
[Image: pikmin.png]

If anybody would actually be interested in making this a fangame, lemme know.

Edit: lol, post 444
Got one. Smile
***Read-Team Yoshi-***
Thanked by:
I'm interested.

But I'd most likely fail at it.

Continue though.
Thanked by:
The Pikmin look kinda fat and Olimar looks a bit too tall. That's all i can say.
[Image: 27348983yu7.png]
Thanked by:
The Pikmin's arms look a bit weird but this definitely has potential to be excellent.
I'll think of something to add later then.
Thanked by:
Olimar's pose is really stiff but I love the pikmin man!
Thanked by:
Damn, I was just about to do this.

Olimars head is way too thin, make it rounder, and longer.
Thanked by:
Pikmin would never work as a platformer, but I'm liking these sprites Big Grin

Thanked by:
I could actually see pikmin doing well as a platformer, given that it was done right.
[Image: ioncesawyouholleringint.jpg]
Thanked by:
(02-10-2009, 10:45 PM)koopaul Wrote: Pikmin would never work as a platformer, but I'm liking these sprites Big Grin

Pretty much couldn't get farther from the truth right there.
Thanked by:
Hm? I dunno, I just can't see how a game where you command hoards of soldiers could works sideways. But who knows.

Thanked by:
(02-12-2009, 12:04 PM)koopaul Wrote: Hm? I dunno, I just can't see how a game where you command hoards of soldiers could works sideways. But who knows.

Replace 100 with 10 and use them to navigate through levels using their abilities. you could use the smaller white Pikmin to go through cracks and find secrets, heavy ones to break through crumbling paths. The list goes on.
Thanked by:
But then it's just Lost Vikings with a larger amount of micromanagement. Doesn't sound amazingly fun, IMO.
Thanked by:
(02-12-2009, 12:34 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: But then it's just Lost Vikings with a larger amount of micromanagement. Doesn't sound amazingly fun, IMO.
Pikmin it's self is basically just an adventure game with a mass of micro management. I'm not seeing how it would cease to be fun.
Thanked by:
My crits are with Olimar's proportions. His head should be larger and more eliptical. Either make the head bigger or the body smaller. I'd suggest making the head bigger, given his size in proportion to the Pikmin. But by 'bigger' I mostly mean wider. And for his body, if you were to make it smaller, just decrease the height, not the width. His body should be a bit shorter, but the width is fine. Excellent shading though.
Thanked by:
(02-12-2009, 02:45 PM)Badassbill Wrote:
(02-12-2009, 12:34 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: But then it's just Lost Vikings with a larger amount of micromanagement. Doesn't sound amazingly fun, IMO.
Pikmin it's self is basically just an adventure game with a mass of micro management. I'm not seeing how it would cease to be fun.

Pikmin (and other micromanagement RTS games) work with large numbers of units because they have the advantage of 3D (or at least aerial view 2D). The ability to zoom out the camera and view the units and terrain all at once is a useful and beneficial skill.

It's why RTSs on the DS are clunkier in comparison to other formats - a smaller vision scope.

Going back to the Side-Scrolling micromanagement example, you could of course have the entire map on screen to circumvent the lack of scope issue, but then you're pretty much lemmings/M Vs. DK.
Thanked by: Koopaul, Koopaul