Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
I need help with the Sprite extraction of DBZ Iainaru Son Goku Densetsu.
I tried to run the game itself using several programs, but it didn't work. For nes or gb, it was extractable, but for pc engine, the images from the tutorial are not shown, so it's hard to try. I'd like to ask someone who knows this area for help.
Thanked by:
Try the tutorial from my signature.
Ripping Tutorial for PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16 / TurboGrafx CD
https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-41637.html
Thanked by:
(01-25-2024, 07:40 PM)Barack Obama Wrote: Try the tutorial from my signature.

Succeeded in finding the tile viewer. But I can't see the tile viewer when it's stopped. Any solutions?
Thanked by:
"Stopped"? Not sure what you mean.

Quote:you press "ALT+D" to bring the Memory Viewer, and then press "ALT+2" to bring the tile viewer.
This doesn't work anymore?

I'd like you to make a screenshot from the stuff you want to rip. This would give me more insight on how to solve this.
Thanked by:
(01-28-2024, 06:14 PM)Barack Obama Wrote: "Stopped"? Not sure what you mean.

Quote:you press "ALT+D" to bring the Memory Viewer, and then press "ALT+2" to bring the tile viewer.

I'd like you to make a screenshot from the stuff you want to rip. This would give me more insight on how to solve this.

When I run the Tile Viewer (alt+2) while still after stopping the game to view the Tile Viewer, the Sprite won't show. It's a real-time fighting game, so I want to stop the screen and look at the tiles, but it doesn't come out. (I'm not good at English, so I use a translator, so please understand.)

(01-28-2024, 06:14 PM)Barack Obama Wrote: "Stopped"? Not sure what you mean.

When I press alt+d,alt+2 while the game is running, it works fine, but when I stop the game screen and press it, tiles don't come out (alt+2 works, just tiles don't come out)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by:
I guess using the arrow keys don't help either?
Quote:* Left and Right arrows switch between backgrounds and sprites;
* Up and Down arrows scroll through the tiles;
* "," and "." scrolls through palettes.

In the meantime I will take a look at the game.
Thanked by:
Okay, I looked into it.

How to view backgrounds and tilesets in Mednaffe
1) Press ALT+D
2) then press ALT+2
3) navigate with the arrow keys: up and down for scrolling, left and right to change between backgrounds and sprites
4) , and . are used to change palettes

Backgrounds & Sprites
[Image: ZzGM3xD.png][Image: eFmfYzd.png][Image: ci3CmhI.png]
[Image: fWS50fo.png][Image: ApRVHBr.png]

Unfortunately, the bg colour of the tile viewer eats the black outlines of the sprites. Solution: Wrong-Colour-Method
[Image: ApRVHBr.png][Image: KysEQWH.png]
With this, you get the outlines of the sprites. Of course, you need to recolour the sprites afterwards.

Disabling / enabling layers:
CTRL+1, CTRL+2, CTRL+3, etc. maybe if you have a different keyboard, it's called STRG+1, STRG+2, etc.
[Image: 9VzrNla.png]
The shadow is a nuisance, a combination of tile ripping and screenshots is maybe useful.

About quicksaves:
Select quicksave slot with 0-9
Make quicksave with F5
Load quicksave with F7

The ones above are the most important, if you want to know more about controls, Global Settings - Key Assignments in Mednaffe and the official documentation here give you more to read:
Source: https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/

Misc. (References, Ingame Appearances)
Thanked by: chocoholic
(01-29-2024, 12:25 AM)Barack Obama Wrote: Okay, I looked into it.
How to view backgrounds and tilesets in Mednaffe
1) Press ALT+D
2) then press ALT+2
3) navigate with the arrow keys: up and down for scrolling, left and right to change between backgrounds and sprites
4) , and . are used to change palettes
Backgrounds & Sprites
[Image: ZzGM3xD.png][Image: eFmfYzd.png][Image: ci3CmhI.png]
[Image: fWS50fo.png][Image: ApRVHBr.png]
Unfortunately, the bg colour of the tile viewer eats the black outlines of the sprites. Solution: Wrong-Colour-Method
[Image: ApRVHBr.png][Image: KysEQWH.png]
With this, you get the outlines of the sprites. Of course, you need to recolour the sprites afterwards.
Disabling / enabling layers:
CTRL+1, CTRL+2, CTRL+3, etc. maybe if you have a different keyboard, it's called STRG+1, STRG+2, etc.
[Image: 9VzrNla.png]
The shadow is a nuisance, a combination of tile ripping and screenshots is maybe useful.
About quicksaves:
Select quicksave slot with 0-9
Make quicksave with F5
Load quicksave with F7
The ones above are the most important, if you want to know more about controls, Global Settings - Key Assignments in Mednaffe and the official documentation here give you more to read:
Source: https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/
Misc. (References, Ingame Appearances)

Is there no way to see tiles in PAUSE state like GB or NES?
Thanked by:
You can stop the game with the PAUSE / BREAK button on your keyboard:
[Image: BhEbXEp.png]

If you want to resume, press the button again.
While the game is paused, you can still use the tile viewer.
Thanked by:
(01-29-2024, 09:40 AM)Barack Obama Wrote: You can stop the game with the PAUSE / BREAK button on your keyboard:
When I press the pause button, the screen stops but the tiles don't come out. Like the image above. I've tried both version 0.9.2 and 1.21.3 but I only see the tiles when the game is in progress and when it stops, the alt+2 doesn't come out when it's running.

(01-29-2024, 09:43 PM)chocoholic Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 09:40 AM)Barack Obama Wrote: You can stop the game with the PAUSE / BREAK button on your keyboard:
When I press the pause button, the screen stops but the tiles don't come out. Like the image above. I've tried both version 0.9.2 and 1.21.3 but I only see the tiles when the game is in progress and when it stops, the alt+2 doesn't come out when it's running.

The first is the pause state, and the second is the running state.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by:
Tried around, it's actually not possible to see the tile viewer during paused screen. This isn't a good thing for ripping fast games like Dragonball and makes things more complicated. You need some workarounds, if you have the nerves for it. If you can pause the game within the internal game function instead of pausing the entire emulator, that would be a different story.

What you can do:

ALT+S: activate / deactivate rewind function
Backspace: if rewind function is active, rewinds the game up to 600 frames
F9: raw screenshot

ALT+D and ALT+2 only needs to used once, after that you can simply press ALT+D to see the tile viewer.

Tried with Mednafen 1.32 Unstable (emulator) and Mednaffe 0.9.2 (GUI frontend). Both is still in development, not sure if the devs fix that.
Thanked by: chocoholic
I'm late to this thread, but BizHawk's built-in PC Engine core (TurboNyma) has fantastic BG/Tile Viewers and Frame Pause + Advance functions.

[Image: iwbTCIx.png]

In cases where the character's have black outlines, you can rip with the normal palette, then a different palette selected to make them viewable, combining the rips together. It's a bit of extra work, but it does the job.

[Image: z4rIgDf.png]

I used this method to rip a bunch of Goku and Freeza stuff a while back and it worked like a charm. Hope it helps!

[Image: zUof0EG.png]
Thanked by: Barack Obama