Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Looking for Capcom models from Dreamcast
Star 
Heya folks,

I'm a game dev working on a game that we're trying to incorporate pixel and 3d retro graphics into, specifically from Capcom's Dreamcast games as referenced in the subject line Tongue . The main game that I'm looking for is Project Justice, but there are a few more that I've played that I can see us using as well (Tech Romancer, Plasma Sword, Power Stone, Virtual-On, etc), so I guess Dreamcast models in general would be helpful. I don't have resources to rip stuff myself, so if you could point me in the right direction, I can either tell my teammates about it, or give them the stuff. Thanks in advance Wink
Thanked by:
Did you have any luck with this?
Edit: Oh, I didn't realize you posted this yesterday.
I have found very few Dreamcast models on-line, and none from the games you mentioned. I have tried ripping models using an emulator, but I only get a 2D image of the screen. I was using Redream, so maybe I would have better luck with another emulator.
I have only found a few users that were able to get Dreamcast models, they are:
https://www.models-resource.com/submitter/lemurboy12/
and
https://www.models-resource.com/submitter/dad34853/

I am still looking at tutorials on how to get Capcom models. I have tried some things, but so far I haven't had much luck. If I find anything that work, I will post it here. There doesn't seem to be much of a community that is trying to rip Dreamcast models, so if you find anything or a resource, it would be appreciated if you could post any information you have.
Thanked by:
(01-15-2024, 12:01 PM)ednabisco Wrote: Did you have any luck with this?
Edit: Oh, I didn't realize you posted this yesterday.
I have found very few Dreamcast models on-line, and none from the games you mentioned. I have tried ripping models using an emulator, but I only get a 2D image of the screen. I was using Redream, so maybe I would have better luck with another emulator.
I have only found a few users that were able to get Dreamcast models, they are:
https://www.models-resource.com/submitter/lemurboy12/
and
https://www.models-resource.com/submitter/dad34853/

I am still looking at tutorials on how to get Capcom models. I have tried some things, but so far I haven't had much luck. If I find anything that work, I will post it here. There doesn't seem to be much of a community that is trying to rip Dreamcast models, so if you find anything or a resource, it would be appreciated if you could post any information you have.

I haven't had any luck yet either Cry I was explaining to my modeler, I don't think there's that much community over Dreamcast, just because there weren't that many people who actually played these games. There were a few that escaped the platform, but the majority of the games for it, never made it off, and yeah there are ROMS, but no one plays games they've never heard of when it comes to that. I'm holding out hope that we find someone who can help us, but it looks like I shouldn't hold my breath.

My modeler found a few threads on Dreamcast graphics and modeling from back in the day though, maybe they'll help you on your search:

https://knockout.chat/thread/39014

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/could...017/page-2
Thanked by:
Thanks for the reply and links. From what I have found, many of the Dreamcast games were built for the Naomi hardware, and many of games used their own modeling software and file formats, so I am not able to extract the models directly from the game files. I will post any successes I might have. I might have to find another avenue to just create custom models because I shouldn't use Capcom assets anyway.
Oh, I did use the software, I think it was GD-ROM Explorer, I will have to confirm later tonight that was the tool I used. Anyway, it was able to get a lot of the files out, but most of it was useless. I didn't get any models or textures. I got a lot of little files, like .bin files and others that I wasn't able to do anything with. Anyway, I won't me able to confirm that was the software I used until later tonight, but I will look.
Thanked by:
(01-17-2024, 12:41 PM)ednabisco Wrote: Thanks for the reply and links. From what I have found, many of the Dreamcast games were built for the Naomi hardware, and many of games used their own modeling software and file formats, so I am not able to extract the models directly from the game files. I will post any successes I might have. I might have to find another avenue to just create custom models because I shouldn't use Capcom assets anyway.
Oh, I did use the software, I think it was GD-ROM Explorer, I will have to confirm later tonight that was the tool I used. Anyway, it was able to get a lot of the files out, but most of it was useless. I didn't get any models or textures. I got a lot of little files, like .bin files and others that I wasn't able to do anything with. Anyway, I won't me able to confirm that was the software I used until later tonight, but I will look.

Shocked seriously? All of them basically had their own custom setups? Damn, that sucks. I guess its no wonder these old games have so few models out there. There's got to be some kind of way to get at the models though, I mean, I've got no clue where to start, but there has to be some way. I'll keep talking with my modeler, if he finds anything else out, I'll be sure to let you know here as well. Thank you for the continued communication, I appreciate the help.
Thanked by:
Each development studio may have their own file format, yes, but Capcom likely used the same engine for Tech Romancer and Project Justice and Plasma Sward. I am working with Tech Romancer right now. If I have any success, I can look at the other games, I hate to switch right now, because if they are different, I would have to learn a new thing. It would like starting over. Virtua On was made by Sega, so it's file structure is likely different.

I had a little bit of luck last night. What I got isn't very helpful, but it's more then I have gotten before.
I used a program called Ninja Ripper, but I can't recommend it yet. It requires a $5.00 Patreon membership to get it, and it has copy protection, in that you need to get a verify code from discord when you run it the first time. Ninja Ripper is supposedly able to rip 3D Models out of games, so I was hopeful it was a tool that would work for me. Unfortunately, I was disappointed when I used it with Redream, as I would only get 1 flat square polygon and a texture of the screen, like a screen shot. I'm thinking that Ninja Ripper was capturing the Emulator and not the game that was running in it, which makes sense. I think it is designed to work with a games .EXE, and in the case with an emulator, the .EXE is the emulator and not the ROM. Anyway, last night I was able to get DEmul, another emulator to run. It doesn't seem to work as will as Redream for playing games, but that's OK. When I used Ninja Ripper, it produced a lot of small files (1k each). When I opened them in Blender, I was disappointed to see that it was just a flat triangle.
Later it hit me. I was expecting one file that was going to be the game model, but it occurred to me, maybe the model isn't just one file, but rather the collection of all the separate polygons. I selected and loaded all of the files into Blender. and I still got a flat scene, but it isn't just a single square, it's all the polygons that make the flat image. To be clear, this is not a 3D model, but I was able to isolate just the flat polygons that make the G. Kaiser image. I am not sure if I can upload a picture, but maybe I can link to it later tonight.
So you might be asking, why am I excited about this? It is because this is the most progress I have had, and it also helps me better understand the files I have been seeing. The game files had a bunch of little .BIN files and other files (about 1k each). See, I have been looking for a single game model file for each character. I imagined it might be a couple of megs in size, but it occurs to me now that the models could just be made up of many individual polygon files. This means I might have to go back to the game files and see if I can convert them to open them in Blender.

Please keep in mind I am very new to this whole scene. I have never made a game, done any modeling, programing, or ripped any game files, so I am very much over my head, so I appreciate you patience. Also, I'm married with a kid and don't always have a lot of time or energy when I get home from work to work on my hobbies.

So, one final note, (sorry, I know this is a long post) In lookin at the FAQs for Ninja Ripper, they have a question about it not getting any models. They say I have to disable any overlays. They go into a little detail about the Steam overlay and Nvidia Overlay. I did try exiting out of the Nvidia overlay, which is how I got the flat polygon scene. I am going to try to see if there is anything else running that might be getting in the way of Ninja Ripper from accessing the model files or polygons, but as I mentioned, the emulator itself may be getting in the way. As it stands right now, I cannot recommend Ninja Ripper, as I have not had it work as intended yet. If I can get it working, I will let you know how I did it.
Thanked by: Dreamstation2000
This is a link to a folder with 3 pictures. One is the image that is captured in color, one is the polygons, and the third is the polygons, but the camera is lowered and you can see the image is flat. I have no idea if this is normal for Ninja Ripper or how to get the full 3D model, but at least it is something.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

Edit: Quick update, on the Ninja Ripper Discord, there are several users having the same issue of flat models. One response says, "usually emulators render 3d scene like this. you can't do much and nR just rip them as they render. so the only thing you can do is try find a tool to extract models"

So there haven't been any solutions. The only suggestions seem to either get scans from each side of the character and stich them back together, which seems difficult, or try to extract the game models directly. So it looks like I will be looking into the files again and see if I can open them. Ninja Ripper seem incapable of getting the entire model from Tech Romancer.

Edit: I haven't found any files that could be small polygons yet, I was wrong about the .bin files, they are like 20k each, not 1k.
I think I'm just not using Ninja Ripper right. I just realized they have a YouTube channel that has a lot of suggestions that I haven't tried yet. I am going to work with it a but more when I have the time and let you know what happens. I mean Ninja Ripper does work with other emulators, so I will follow the processes for other consoles.
Thanked by: Dreamstation2000
(01-18-2024, 08:40 PM)ednabisco Wrote: This is a link to a folder with 3 pictures. One is the image that is captured in color, one is the polygons, and the third is the polygons, but the camera is lowered and you can see the image is flat. I have no idea if this is normal for Ninja Ripper or how to get the full 3D model, but at least it is something.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

Edit: Quick update, on the Ninja Ripper Discord, there are several users having the same issue of flat models. One response says, "usually emulators render 3d scene like this. you can't do much and nR just rip them as they render. so the only thing you can do is try find a tool to extract models"

So there haven't been any solutions. The only suggestions seem to either get scans from each side of the character and stich them back together, which seems difficult, or try to extract the game models directly. So it looks like I will be looking into the files again and see if I can open them. Ninja Ripper seem incapable of getting the entire model from Tech Romancer.

Edit: I haven't found any files that could be small polygons yet, I was wrong about the .bin files, they are like 20k each, not 1k.
I think I'm just not using Ninja Ripper right. I just realized they have a YouTube channel that has a lot of suggestions that I haven't tried yet. I am going to work with it a but more when I have the time and let you know what happens. I mean Ninja Ripper does work with other emulators, so I will follow the processes for other consoles.

Thank you my friend, I sincerely appreciate all of this Smile I honestly don't have the wherewithal to be able to do any of this at all, so everything you're able to accomplish here is beyond helpful. Full disclosure: while I've got little to no experience with tech like this, I'm also disabled (physical impairments that affect my intellectual abilities), so I'm probably not going to be able to contribute much to this conversation Shy At the same time, I'm just glad to hear that you're making headway on this! I've been searching different threads and otherwise about 3D modeling on Twitter and Reddit, and again, No One is doing anything with Dreamcast except talking about having played these games. I did go through a game list though, and it would seem that I overlooked a certain collection that got ported to PSP, and ripped here:

https://www.models-resource.com/psp/powe...ollection/

I'm not sure how different the models are, but anything that's close to that style Capcom was able to achieve in Project Justice is worthwhile in my book Big Grin You probably already knew about it, but I thought I'd say something if otherwise, just cause this is about the only contribution I can make Shy Please keep me updated on your progress though. I'll let my modeler know about what you've said so far, hopefully we can start moving in your direction so that this conversation isn't so one sided Tongue
Thanked by:
Thanks. I didn't realize Power Stone was ported to the PSP. I never had a PSP.

I made another advancement today, like just now, and I am so excited I had to post even though it isn't spectacular.
I feel like and idiot, and if it had been a snake, it would have bit me.
If you want, you can skip the next part and just go to my success at the bottom, but to hopefully spare others of some grief...
I have been spinning my wheels on this "Flat Model's" issue for the past 4 or 5 days. I have tried everything; checking boxes... changing settings I didn't understand... downloading .dll files from who knows where, ect. it was all hard to keep straight, and it was all in vain.
I have been reading message boards and watching videos on the Ninja Ripper YouTube channel to get ideas of things to try. I have been trying Global Injection Mode, etc.. it was so frustrating and I could go on and on, but I'll get to the point.

2 days ago (Jan 19, 2024) a new video was posted in the Ninja Ripper YouTube channel regarding a PlayStation 2 emulation (https://youtu.be/bEHCcnaNd6Y?si=nYhgZg3ubdHpHq2h). I watched it for the first time today. In this video, the person also gets the usual flat models. He scales up the Z axis, a lot, and it eventually "inflates." I was so excited that I didn't even finish watching the video. I tried it and it worked. I don't have textures yet, and I don't get polygons that aren't facing the camera, but it kind of worked. I had tried scaling up the Z axis before, and nothing seemed to happen. But I needed to do it about 10X more then I had before. I will post a short screen grab from my computer here. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/16p3i5mg...sp=sharing)
Next, I want to see if I can get the textures. Another new territory. Maybe there is also a better way to get the entire model.

So in summary, I used DEmul to run the game, and Ninja Ripper to get the models. Redream did not work for me to rip models. I am not sure why, but I never had success with it at all.
When running Ninja Ripper to open the demul.exe, and then in demul, starting the Dreamcast, you should see some green text in the upper left corner letting you know what to press to capture models (I changed my settings from the default "Print Screen" button to the "End" button because the Print Screen button was causing trouble). Now sometimes, I only get one file on my first try, and then if I try again after a few seconds, the green text will turn red for several seconds. This is a good sign because it means it's working on capturing polygon files.
You have to follow the Ninja Ripper instructions to install the importer for Blender, or other 3D software, but Blender is free.
Next, import all the files into Blender and remove any of the ones you don't need and then inflate it.
If your team has any trouble doing this, or has any questions, let me know. I may need to write more detailed instructions later, but it's late and I am tired.
I will upload the one blender file I made here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zDgVC2v...drive_link). It has 2 version of G Kaiser because I was trying 2 ways to import him. Also, side note, I thought I was only getting a single square when importing using the "World Space" option, but it was just that G Kaiser was really small and buried under a larger square, so I didn't know he was there. It seems better to just import using the "Local space (T pose)" option.
If I can get the textures and a complete model, I can start working on getting models from the other games you requested. Hopefully this same process will work on other Dreamcast games as well. For all I know, they could even be easier.
Thanked by:
Another roadblock.
I am not getting texture files from Ninja Ripper like the videos show. I am not sure if it is a setting in NR, or in the emulator.
I tried another copy of Tech Romancer I purchased years ago, which looks like an official Capcom PC release, but not for the U.S.A. I am not sure which country it is for. The CD seems to be using the arcade ROM and an emulator called ZiNc. In that case, I did get texture files, but not the models. This is good new for Tech Romancer, but doesn't help the Dreamcast community.
I am going to try another emulator, NullDC, but I haven't been able to get it working. It says I need a file in the data directory that is there and named correctly. I am not sure what the problem is. I am hopeful that if I can get this emulator working, it might give me the texture files and the models too.
I am new to Blender as well, and am trying to learn how to work with textures, nodes, and the general UI. It has been slow going.
Thanked by:
I realize that I have been making entries like a blog, and that wasn't my intent. If that is against the rules, I apologize. I had intended to share the little bits I was learning in case someone was following along and had ideas. I realize that if someone is reading this in the future, they are probably screaming at the screen about all the mistakes I am making, but hey, that's how we learn, right?
So, I may continue to share things I have learned, but if I am successful in my goal, I will post some sort of tutorial at the end of all the steps I took. So, you might want to skip to the end. I will try to be brief with my updates.

I learned two things. First, I was using the wrong version of NullDC. I didn't realize there were two versions. I had installed the Naomi version, and the bios files I was using were not recognized. Once I got NullDC to work, I was able to use Ninja Ripper with it.
Second is the good news, NullDc pulls out the texture files WAY better than the results I got with Demul.
The bad news is that the models seem to be unusable. They are flat, but trying to scale up the Z axis does nothing. When I try to scale it up in edit mode, it does something strange. Like if I move all the nodes, it stretches it out and messes it up. It's hard to explain, but it just isn't right. I may be doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is.

I am hopeful that a combination of Demul and NullDC will allow me to get models and textures respectfully. If I learn how to get them from one emulator, I will explain my mistakes here.

At this point, I need to learn about how to apply texture files to a model. It hasn't worked out to be anything like the NR tutorials I have watched. Even though my model is incomplete, I would love to see it with textures. Then maybe I can copy/paste the missing parts to complete the model.
I am also surprised at how low rez the texture are. I mean they look right, and it is how the character looks. It's just not good for close-ups.
Thanked by:
What a colossal pain in the neck. If I had known how hard this was going to be, I wouldn't have started. What is the famous programmers’ credo, "We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they were going to be easy."
I had intended to rip many models from Dreamcast games, but if each one is going to be this hard, I don't think I will continue. It's true that other games might be a lot easier, so maybe I will look into it. At this point, I think I have finished my first model. I am not sure if I will be able to post it because I am not sure it meets all the requirements in the Wiki (https://wiki.vg-resource.com/What_Makes_...ormats,DAE).

I have submitted the model for posting. I do not know how long that approval process takes, from what I have read, it can take a couple of months, especially because I am new. They said in a post that new submitters often take longer to approve.  If the model comes out, and anyone wants to try to improve on it, I'm sure you can do a better job than I did. This is my first ever model and first time using Blender.
I am so very tired of this project. I wish there was an easier way to rip these models.
If for some reason my submissions is rejected, and I can't post the G Kaiser here, I will see if I can post a link to it later in this thread. I don't know that it is allowed for me to post what I have and circumvent their approval process, and use their forum to provide the link. That kind of thing might not be allowed.
For now I just need to be patient with the approval process. I am under the delusion that G. Kaiser and other Tech Romancer models are desired. Maybe that is just because I have been looking for them for a long time, but other than the OP, I am not sure anyone cares. It's too bad Tech Romancer never got a re-release. I think a lot of people would love it if they were aware of it's existence. It is a game for the fans of giant robots such as Macross and Gundam, etc.

Thanked by:
(02-09-2024, 11:37 PM)ednabisco Wrote: What a colossal pain in the neck. If I had known how hard this was going to be, I wouldn't have started. What is the famous programmers’ credo, "We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they were going to be easy."
I had intended to rip many models from Dreamcast games, but if each one is going to be this hard, I don't think I will continue. It's true that other games might be a lot easier, so maybe I will look into it. At this point, I think I have finished my first model. I am not sure if I will be able to post it because I am not sure it meets all the requirements in the Wiki (https://wiki.vg-resource.com/What_Makes_...ormats,DAE).

I have submitted the model for posting. I do not know how long that approval process takes, from what I have read, it can take a couple of months, especially because I am new. They said in a post that new submitters often take longer to approve.  If the model comes out, and anyone wants to try to improve on it, I'm sure you can do a better job than I did. This is my first ever model and first time using Blender.
I am so very tired of this project. I wish there was an easier way to rip these models.
If for some reason my submissions is rejected, and I can't post the G Kaiser here, I will see if I can post a link to it later in this thread. I don't know that it is allowed for me to post what I have and circumvent their approval process, and use their forum to provide the link. That kind of thing might not be allowed.
For now I just need to be patient with the approval process. I am under the delusion that G. Kaiser and other Tech Romancer models are desired. Maybe that is just because I have been looking for them for a long time, but other than the OP, I am not sure anyone cares. It's too bad Tech Romancer never got a re-release. I think a lot of people would love it if they were aware of it's existence. It is a game for the fans of giant robots such as Macross and Gundam, etc.
Hey friend!  Wow you've been busy! Big Grin Sorry for the absence, but my disability has a lot to do with my cognitive function and fatigue, so I lost track of this conversation unfortunately  Shy   I also unfortunately lost my modeler, who was working with me, but now has a paid opportunity he's pursuing Cry Cry Since we're still getting the pixel part of the game together, I thought that I'd just focus on trying to direct that, and try to find another modeler later who can help out with that part of the game. We never came up with anything new on Dreamcast models, but there's a forum I was recommended to called Dreamcast talk. I got it as soon as I lost my modeler though, so I didn't follow up on it unfortunately Unsure  I did take a quick gander at it though, and it seems that there's quite a bit of information there, possibly even on how to rip models! I'll likely pursue that when I have time, but right now I'm working on both a comic and game, so I've got to try and focus my time on what I have to do Content If you keep using this like a blog, I will certainly follow you, because Dreamcast deserves more than being some forgotten vaporware! Thanks for doing the work to show it Smile
Thanked by:
Tonight, I submitted Batsu from Project Justice.
Project Justice is waaaaay easier to get a model from than Tech Romancer. I get the full model from Project Justice, where with Tech Romancer, I only get half the model at a time. I then have to stitch them together, and that is the tough part.
I still haven't found a way to easily extract the models and textures from the game files, so if anyone wants to chime in on that process, it might help people out.
So basically, this is an overview of how I extracted the Project Justice model.
I use 4 pieces of software.
1. DEmul - A Dreamcast emulator for capturing the models.
2. NullDc - A Dreamcast emulator for textures. The Naomi version will not work. Make sure you get the right one.
3. Ninja Ripper - This does cost money, but it's only $5.00.
4. Blender - Maybe some other 3D modeling program would work, but Ninja ripper has an importer for Blender, 3ds Max, and Maya. I use Blender because it's free.

Of course, you are also going to need the ROM files (game) to use on the emulator.

If you want to submit your models to this site, you will also need some sort of image editor. I am not sure you can do it with the preloaded image software. I use Paint.net. It can work with transparencies, and it's free.

I am not going to go into a super detailed tutorial on how to set everything up, but this should get you started, and this is more of a summary of this text thread. I may post a tutorial later, but as software changes, it may become obsolete.
There may be challenges in getting Ninja Ripper started, but they have a YouTube channel that is very helpful. You should watch the tutorials and read the FAQs page. You may need to change some default settings in Ninja Ripper. You will want to change the Texture File Format to PNG. If you want to upload your models to this site, they require the texture files are in PNG format and not in the default DDS format. If you try to convert them later, it breaks everything. There is a way to re-associate the textures to the newly converted textures in Blender, but don't do any of that, just change the setting now.

So you might be asking yourself, "Why do I need two emulators, and why specifically those two?" I tried a few emulators, and I didn't find anything that would get me everything, so as described above, I use one for the models, and one for the textures.
Also, I did a lot of fiddling around to get this to work and ended up downloading things that I probably didn't need, or maybe that is why it's working. When I can test this process on a new Windows install, I will. So if it doesn't work for you, let us know in this thread and maybe we can figure out why.

So after you get your emulators working and Ninja Ripper working. You will also have to follow the instructions on the Ninja Ripper FAQs site on how to install the add-on that will allow you to import Ninja Ripper files into Blender.

You run Ninja Ripper with the emulator executable path in the Program setting. Once the game is running, you will see some green text in the upper left corner of the emulator window. This will tell you which button to press to capture the assets. I had to change the settings to use "End" and "Home" because the default Print Screen button was just capturing an image. You may not have this issue. I might be having this issue because I have a screen capture program installed. Mostly I just use Windows key-shift-S to capture a screenshot now.

So now it is time to capture some assets. You will need to navigate your game to get the character model you want to rip on the screen. So start the game with the character you want. It is best to use a 2 player mode or a training mode so your character isn't getting punched or something.

When you press the capture button, the game will freeze for a few seconds. If it only freezes for less than a second, it didn't work. Wait a few seconds and press the button again.
After that, try clicking on the "Open RIP dir" button Ninja Ripper that will take you to the folder. You don't need to do anything with the files, but you need to know where the path is. In my case, its "C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Ninja Ripper." you can open the folders. You should see one the folder name is the date and the name of the executable you were using, such as the emulator. I find it useful to sort the files by Date Modified so the most recent rips are at the top. If you open the folder, you will see a folder for each time you pressed the capture button.
Close the emulator you are running.
Open the folder that has the other emulator and drag the emulator executable to the program path in Ninja Ripper.
Run Ninja Ripper again with the second emulator and repeat the process of selecting the character and pressing the capture button when they are on the screen.
I doesn't really matter which order you run the emulators because you need both to do anything in Blender anyway.

Now open Blender. Hopefully you have already installed the Ninja Ripper importer.
Click on File and hover over Import.
Select Ninja Ripper 2 World Space.
In the path bar at the top, navigate to where you Ninja Ripper files are with the rips you just created.
Open the folder that has the date and DEmul.exe name. You may see a few folders inside named "Frame_0" or "Frame_1." These are created every time you pressed on the capture button. If you open a folder, and it only has one file in it, don't use it, it won't work. Just move onto the next folder. You are looking for a folder that might have nearly 200 files. (This is just how it works in my experience with 2 Capcom games. It might be different with other games and platforms.)
In this case, select a file and press the "A" key to select them all. (It isn't Ctrl+A like everything else. It's annoying.)
Don't open the files yet or your models will just be flat. Look to the right side of the window and click on the "Position" pull down menu and change it from the default "(FOV)" to "Reprojection (Full)."
There are some other settings too that I never noticed made a difference, but play around with them at some point.
On you screen, you might not notice much of a change. Maybe a triangle or two, but on the right side window, you should see a bunch of Meshes listed that weren't there before. These are the polygons of the model. In my experience the model is not just one file or object, it's a whole bunch of little parts.

You will have to move you camera around and look up to see a mess of stuff. The items are like through the floor, above you, I'm not sure, but I find if I try to zoom in, I can't get very close, so I turn my camera in the opposite direction and zoom out until I rise above where the models are. I find it easiest to select the model I want, and deselect anything I don't and then I press Ctrl+I to invert my selection to everything I don't want on the screen. Then I press the delete key and I am left with the model I want.
Take a look at how many meshes you have. If it's Project Justice, you should still have meshes 1 to about 60 for the Player 1 character. If you notice some other meshes below it, like in their own group that are really high numbers, like 180, you don't need those. You can select them, and if they are not highlighted as part of the character, just delete it.

At this point you can use the Grab (move) and rotate tools to position your model standing on the ground. I use the G key to move and the R key to rotate. When moving, you can press the key for the direction you want too, like G and then Z to move the model only on the Z axis (up and down).

So now you should have a gray model. Now you will want to texture it.
This is a little like putting a puzzle together, so like a puzzle and the top of the box, it is helpful to have an image of the character for reference.
When you captured the model, you will also get a screenshot of the moment of capture. That can be a helpful image to refer to.
Click on an element of the character, like the face or shirt. It will highlight in orange.

If you haven't used Blender, this is important. Right now, if you apply a texture, you won't see it because the default view is "show shading." If you look in the upper right corner, (and your screen is big enough) you will see the viewport options. They look like little round icons. One looks like a wire frame, one is a solid gray or white circle, depending if it is currently selected. You want to click on the one next to it that looks like a slice of pizza has been take out if it. It's called Materials Preview. If this isn't selected, you won't see the textures applied to the model.

With the character's face (or whatever) selected, look down the row of icons that are below your mesh list on the right. Next to the bottom is a red circle with a wedge shape in it. It is right above an icon that looks like a checkerboard. Click on this Material icon.
Click on the +New button.
Where there is the Surface "Base Color" click on the little yellow dot to the right of Base Color.
A window will pop up. From the Texture column, select Image Texture.
Now you will see the face has a temporary dark color. but at the right of Base Color, you will see Image texture is listed. Below that, click on the Open button.
Now you will need to navigate to the folder in the Ninja Rip directory to the folder from the NullDC rip folder.
You can copy/paste the path from file explorer. Or, you can copy the folder to another location first to make it easier to find.
Once you use the file location first, it will continue to open the folder location for other textures.
Once you have the folder open in Blender, you may notice it only displays the names of the files. You will want to change the view to Thumbnails so you can see the texture images. To the right of the folder path, there are three little icons, Vertical List (Default), Horizontal list, and Thumbnail.
Scroll through the images until you find the one you think will work, such as a face and select it. Double click it or click on the Open Image button.
Now you should see the texture on the model.
This is a good start.
If you need to change the texture, there is a little folder icon next to the file name.

Here are some helpful tips...
Sometimes it is worth renaming the texture files when you know what they are, like 1 face, 2 hands, 3 pants. Putting a number or "!" in front of the ones you know will push them to the top of the list.

If you want to select a different texture to one you used recently, instead of using the folder icon to open it again, there is a recent icon to the left of the file name.

Textures may be used more then once.

If you need to use the same texture for multiple parts. Assign it once and click off that object. Then select all the objects that you want that texture on by holding down the shift key and making your selections. Then, with the shift key still held down, make your last selection the object that has the texture you want. Then press Ctrl+L. From the menu press M or select "Link Materials" and all of those objects will have the same texture.

In the end, you may want to upload your models here. You will need to export the file as an .obs or .dae. I have only used .obs at this point. To export your file, select your model, and then click on File -> Export and select Wavefront (.obj). Before you continue, click on the check box for "Limit to Selected Only." Also, in the Materials section, change the Path Mode to "Copy." This way, wherever you save the file, you should get an .Obj file, a .Mtl file, and all the texture files you used. You can compress all of these files into a .zip so you can upload it to the site. be sure to read the Wiki on what makes a good submission (https://wiki.vg-resource.com/What_Makes_...ormats,DAE) , but also keep in mind I have no idea what I am talking about. I have submitted a file and it is yet to be approved, so my advice might not get you anywhere.
Good luck.
Thanked by: