Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Help with ripping Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2's sounds (GameCube)
Hi!

After multiple attempts of sifting through the files ripped by Dolphin, I am still unable to find most of sounds used for the fighters within duals. I'd like to find all of them, but the separate English voice lines for Gokule (Goku and Hercule) and Tiencha (Tien and Yamcha) are of interest.

The only playable sound files I've been able to find are .adx (which is playable in VLC and can be converted with VGSC). I found .acm files but VGSC isn't able to convert those despite that file format being compatible.

I can find some grunts and lines for every fighter in cdrom > us > bs > adx and Android 16 sounds in us > adx > 16g, but they're only select sounds and do not contain most grunts and lacks any regular super skills (i.e., lacking Goku's "Kamehameha", Vegeta's "Galick Gun", Android 16's "Rocket Punch", etc.) and there are no separate stems for fighters who are able to fuse (i.e., Goku and Vegeta, Goten and Trunks, Goku and Hercule, and Tien and Yamcha).

Where could I find every character grunt? are they not rippable? would I have better luck ripping the PS2 version of Budokai 2? am I not searching hard enough? is every grunt contained in some kinda special folder? (similar to a .zip file).

Any tip would be appreciated.
Thanked by:
Hey there! Can you play the .acm files through the vgmstream-web player? As a Linux user I don't have any experience using VGSC since I use the underlying decoder, vgmstream. A lot has happened upstream since VGSC's last update, so it's a good idea to try out the web player.

BTW, if you're familiar with foobar2000, you should get the vgmstream decoder. That might save you some time when it comes to converting video game sounds.
applecuckoo - ripper of sounds, sprites and models

Places to get help:
DYKG/VG Resource Discord - This is where most of the ripping experts on the VG Resource hang out these days, so you should probably start here. Any requests to rip stuff (i.e. "Please rip sounds/models/sprites from game X!") are only allowed here as per the rules.

ResHax forum - Another forum that is home to most of the reverse engineers who were on the old ZenHax and XenTax forums. A great place to get help for any mysterious files.

And remember, always upload example files. That way, people don't have to dig in and fetch them for you.
Thanked by: BillyBobResources
(01-06-2024, 12:58 AM)applecuckoo Wrote: Hey there! Can you play the .acm files through the vgmstream-web player? As a Linux user I don't have any experience using VGSC since I use the underlying decoder, vgmstream. A lot has happened upstream since VGSC's last update, so it's a good idea to try out the web player.

BTW, if you're familiar with foobar2000, you should get the vgmstream decoder. That might save you some time when it comes to converting video game sounds.

Hello.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have attempted to play some .acm files ripped from the game, but am getting the error message "[c]ould not convert file: failed opening [file name].acm".

I am not familiar with foobar2000, nor the vgmstream decoder (well, was until you mentioned the vgmstream-web player) but it does interest me due to saving time, may you elaborate on foobar2000 and how to use the decoder with it? and do you know if the decoder is compatible with VLC?
Thanked by:
I myself don't have any experience with Foobar2000, because I use vgmstream's Audacious plugin on Linux which I believe does basically the same thing. I believe you only need foobar2000 itself, the vgmstream decoder, and the free encoder pack. You can then convert all the sound files

Install foobar2000 with the 'Converter' optional feature, then the encoders, then the decoder. Here's a guide to installing foobar2000 components (like the vgmstream decoder), and another one about format conversion.

Hopefully this helps. I wish you the best of luck!
applecuckoo - ripper of sounds, sprites and models

Places to get help:
DYKG/VG Resource Discord - This is where most of the ripping experts on the VG Resource hang out these days, so you should probably start here. Any requests to rip stuff (i.e. "Please rip sounds/models/sprites from game X!") are only allowed here as per the rules.

ResHax forum - Another forum that is home to most of the reverse engineers who were on the old ZenHax and XenTax forums. A great place to get help for any mysterious files.

And remember, always upload example files. That way, people don't have to dig in and fetch them for you.
Thanked by: