Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Tutorial on how to rip River City Ransom: Underground sprites
Lightbulb 
After a bunch of faffing about, I finally found a method to rip RCR:U sprites. I saw some people asking about this on various sites over the last few years, so I just wanted to make an official post about it here.

Using the QuickBMS script that's floating around - you just need to install ImageMagick (legacy, with the convert exe), and uncomment the 3 lines pertaining to converting to PNGs in the bms script.

Once you run the bms script (easiest way is to just put the script and your textures.rcru in your QuickBMS folder, open a cmd, dir it into the folder, and then run "quickbms rcru.bms textures.rcru textures"), it'll rip every sprite into its own folder, each containing a ton of no-filetype slices.

If you sort by filesize, the top file (not always, but usually) should be something along the lines of "texure0_339x2048" - the numbers will be different, but you want one without the word "slice" in the title - and if you rename that to a PNG, bam, instant (messy, disorganized) sprite sheet.

I'm not dedicated enough to actually turn those into useable sheets, but hey, at least it's possible to rip the sprites.

Here's a few pics to show what it looks like once you successfully extract and convert, and then one renamed to .png so you can see what they look like:

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=15552]   
The folder structure after extracting 

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=15553]   
A specific file - in this case, Citizens/MaleDelivery. Just rename the top file to a .png and...

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=15554]   
Bam!
Thanked by:
Okay, i've been trying for a bit here, now
But I can't see, to figure things out
Anytime i try to put things in the cmd, it says access is denied, and imagemagick doesn't seem to be doing anything
please explain as though i were a fool, because at this point i have long since accepted that i am
Thanked by: