Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
My random rips. They've got to go somewhere, right?
Hi all,

I have ripped various sprites/graphics/maps over the decades but never really shared them as they were just personal challenges at the time.

Recently I started by sharing my various dizzy rips on The Dizzy Fan Page , but as the site is primarily Dizzy related I thought I should broaden my sharing to non specific interest site.

So I thought, here I would post some of what I have achieved though programming/reverse engineering mainly 16bit platform games.

I'll start with Allo Allo Cartoon Fun for the Amiga.

Allo Allo Cartoon Fun (Amiga)
[Image: AlloAllo_sprites_level1_ORIGINAL.png?raw=1]

Giddy I (AKA Wibble World Giddy Wibble Mania) (Amiga)

Sprites
[Image: sprites.png?raw=1]

Tilesheet
[Image: tileset.png?raw=1]

Giddy II (AKA Hero In An Egg Shell) (Amiga)

Sprites
[Image: sprites.png?raw=1]

Tileset
[Image: tileset.png?raw=1]

Dennis (Amiga)

Dennis (Hardware sprites)
[Image: dennis_sheet.png?raw=1]
Mr Wilsons House (Level 1)
[Image: wilson.png?raw=1]

Frankenstein (DOS)

Sprites

Egor (Original VGA palette)
[Image: egor.png?raw=1]

Egor (VGA palette index 0 changed to 0xff00ff)
[Image: egor.png?raw=1]

Enemies (Original VGA palette)
[Image: aliens.png?raw=1]

Enemies (VGA palette index 0 changed to 0xff00ff)
[Image: aliens.png?raw=1]
[Image: aliens2.png?raw=1]
[Image: aliens4.png?raw=1]

Score/HUD (Original VGA Palette)
[Image: score.png?raw=1]

Score/HUD (VGA Palette index 0 changed to 0xff00ff)
[Image: score_mag.png?raw=1]

Tilesets (ALL Original VGA palette, as they are background and don't need to be masked)

Castle
[Image: castle.png?raw=1]

Dungeon
[Image: dungeon.png?raw=1]

Graveyard
[Image: grave.png?raw=1]

Village
[Image: village.png?raw=1]

I've ripped the maps too if anyone wants me top post those?

Blinky's Scary School (Atari ST)

Sprites (Original game sprite background colour)

Sheet1
[Image: sheet00.png?raw=1]

Sheet2
[Image: sheet01.png?raw=1]

Sheet3
[Image: sheet02.png?raw=1]

Titanic Blinky (Atari ST)

Sprites (Original game sprite background colour)

Sheet 1
[Image: sheet00.png?raw=1]

Sheet 2
[Image: sheet01.png?raw=1]

Yo! Joe! Beat The Ghosts (DOS) Subject to change

Sprites (Original VGA palette, although there are 7 to choose from and being colour blind I'm not sure if 100% correct.  In my opinion it seems that the palettes keep the same sprite colours Unsure )

[Image: allinone.png?raw=1]

Tileset 1
[Image: pattern1.png?raw=1]
Tileset 2
[Image: pattern2.png?raw=1]
Tileset 3
[Image: pattern3.png?raw=1]
Tileset 4
[Image: pattern4.png?raw=1]
Tileset 5
[Image: pattern5.png?raw=1]
Tileset 6
[Image: pattern6.png?raw=1]

Enjoy!
Thanked by:
This takes me back, I had an Amiga 500 when I was very young and I'm still rediscovering titles (back then I didn't know the the name for many of them). I think the only one left was a top-down game where you play a monster.

Anyway, these are some great sheets. Just two things:

- I don't think the site accepts sheets that have a pure black or pure white background.
- Reason for this: These two colours are oftenly used for the sprites and if you try to remove the background, parts of the sprites get erased too.
- Maybe use a pink or light blue like on your other sheets if possible. In any case, the background colour shouldn't be identical with one of the sprite colours.
- The Dennis sheets seems to be fine though, apparently the sprites don't make use of the black.

- If possible, can you assemble the rest of the tilesets like the others? No biggie if you don't feel like it, they're still acceptable in this state.
Ripping Tutorial for PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16 / TurboGrafx CD
https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-41637.html
Thanked by: tantalus
(03-17-2023, 06:42 AM)Barack Obama Wrote: - If possible, can you assemble the rest of the tilesets like the others?

Thank you for the feedback Barack Obama, appreciated.

I always rip the assets how they are originaly stored on the specific platform.

This always (so far) means that they are all stored and presented on a 16pixel boundary therefore easily cut using a snap to grid option in most art packages if desired, resulting in perfect original representation.

Don't get me worng, I totally understand what you mean about the colours and maybe using the alpha channel etc.  But I'm too old to care about that modern mumbo jumbo.  If someone wants to use them in a more modern way then that is up to them to modify as needed.

This way suits my needs better expecially for recreatiing the game maps using code.

Sorry if this annoys others but, "This is the way!"  Tongue
Thanked by:
Wow, nice work! We don't get too many Amiga rippers around here.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
I think the game itself is able to disinguish the two blacks as separate colours and therefore put the sprites against a different background without erasing the black within the sprite. At least this is how the SNES does it.

Is it even possible to change the background colour when you extract these sprites? Or is the information eaten when the sheet gets created?
Edit: Okay, it is definitely possible to change it without destroying sprites/tiles:
https://www.spriters-resource.com/amiga_...et/165087/

So yes, the sheets with proper bg colours are cool, but pure white/black is unfortunately not acceptable (except the Dennis one). I think we also have a site rule for that.
Thanked by:
(03-17-2023, 02:54 PM)Barack Obama Wrote: , but pure white/black is unfortunately not acceptable (except the Dennis one). I think we also have a site rule for that.

Ouch! Ooooooooo! Rules over colour, we don't want to go there do we?  Wink

If this is truly that unacceptable and atrocious behaviour here then I shall cease posting so as not to offend.
Thanked by:
Ah, no biggie, it's actually not that dramatic. It's just that everything on the site should be somewhat usable and you have sheets in this thread which are pretty cool and should definitely be submitted. It's just unfortunate that some of them don't meet quality standards. I got some of my submissions denied too, but that's just how it is.
As said, pure black (usually outlines/pupils) and pure white (usually shimmer/eyes) were just an example (the two most common, though), but it can be any background colour that eats the sprite when you turn it transparent and editing around it really is a hassle.

Let's see:

Allo Allo Cartoon Fun (Amiga)
Perfect rips, definitely submit them.

Giddy I (AKA Wibble World Giddy Wibble Mania) (Amiga)
As far as I can see, we have the game completely ripped:
https://www.spriters-resource.com/amiga_...bblemania/

Giddy II (AKA Hero In An Egg Shell) (Amiga)
Perfect rips, definitely submit them.

Dennis (Amiga)
Perfect rip, definitely submit him.

Frankenstein (DOS)
Background colour eats part of the sprites, unfortunately not submittable.

Blinky's Scary School (Atari ST)
Background colour eats part of the sprites, unfortunately not submittable.
Thanked by: Yawackhary
Firstly some great rips, not often we get to see Amiga and especially Atari ST around here. Secondly great job on doing the Dizzy rips.

You shouldn't be upset about the Frankenstein and Blinky's Scare School rips though, it's the good type of construction criticism. It just means that the sprites colour and the background colour clash with each other making them very hard to use. Yes they do need re-ripping but it's only that one issue as the rest look good to me.

The rule for the background colour has been around a long time due to literally broken rips that were submitted during the early days of the site. It was a problem and still is a one to a smaller extent regarding Mega Drive ripping due to the game code having a black background while the sprites themselves have black, palette restrictions also mean that it's the same colour. The Blinky rip seems to be similar to this as the Atari ST has I think around 16 colours out of 512 to choose from (looking at it wonders why there wasn't a port back in the day...). You can always mention in a comment that the background was originally black if you're worried that it doesn't 100% reflect the data.

Think the only exceptions to that rule are:

1: The game is in monochrome where it only has two colours e.g. the likes of Spectrum games

2: The game is designed that way whether it is by design or palette restrictions. Usually it's the case of old arcade games where it was designed for the black backgrounds and try to change the background makes it look odd. It also be the case of the graphic artist or a botched conversion. An example that I can give is Psycho Pig UXB on the Amstrad, the sprites are broken even if you do try to change the palette and have mentioned it.
Might as well ask how are you ripping those. I'm assuming you're using Maptapper?
[Image: lhjFt57.gif][Image: sX7JK6W.gif][Image: 4BB3IOO.gif][Image: qHY3ZCP.gif][Image: oCiv6RT.gif][Image: RNSMdiR.gif][Image: gx5wm3G.gif][Image: ld7rSgS.gif]
Thanked by:
(03-19-2023, 11:57 AM)Magma MK-II Wrote: Might as well ask how are you ripping those. I'm assuming you're using Maptapper?

Depends on a lot of things...

First off, no screenshots or captures via emulation!

GfxRip (https://github.com/rofl0r/GfxRip.git) for quick inspection.
Maptapper only when needed for Amiga palette if I'm struggling to get the correct copper list as I struggle with Amiga OS ugly code.

System I use is only Linux based, so C/C++, Python(very little, mainly if I need to post process sprites into sheets but usually ImageMagick is preferred)

If I can't do it entirely under Linux natively, I may use gcc/vbcc and cross compile for Atari ST.

Atari ST games:
Bootloader/trackloaders I have to disassemble bootloader to work out the stage 2 loader situation (packed/loaded where? etc), disassemble that and so on.
For file accesible disk games, pretty much the same without having low level disk access to deal with.
Find files which contain graphic assets, work out there format and either (first call) try to decode natively under Linux or what usually happens is I end up using 68000 assembly under Hatari (no longer have my ST Cry )

Amiga games:
If I can't extract files directly from ADF disk image because it is a track loader/copy protected, then I run the game via FS-UAE and create a save state.
Extract RAM from save state and disassemble code from that.
Even then I generally port the code over to the Atari for a much nicer/easier development environment (for me, that I'm used to).

DOS games:
Generally all DOS games (so far) are file accessible so it just a case of unpacking which may need reverse engeneering EXE's for the unpacking routine.
I use IDA for the DOS reversing.
DOSBOX for running and x86 I had to code.

For me it's the challenge of reverse engineering the packed data and displaying the ORIGINAL content the assets are stored in, hence why the black/white backgrounds.

All off the top of my head, there may be ommisions Unsure
Thanked by: Magma MK-II, Yawackhary
Wacus The Detective (AMIGA) (Nice 6 bit plane EHB graphics in this one)

Level 1

Sprites
[Image: waccus1.png?raw=1]
[Image: waccusdead.png?raw=1]
[Image: gfxlev1_0xff00ff.png?raw=1]

Tileset
[Image: tiles1.png?raw=1]

Level 2, 3..... (Got to find correct palette yet!)
Thanked by:
Erik (AMIGA) - (W.I.P. Pain in the arse this one, uses multi sized Amiga hardware sprites all mixed together.  This may take a while, when I feel like it!)

Random selection so far, in no real particular order...

[Image: AMIGA_Mix.png?raw=1]
Thanked by:
Black Lamp (ATARI ST)

Everything (Spritey)  Unsure

[Image: all.png?raw=1]
Thanked by: Ton
Super Cauldron (ATARI ST)

Palette index 0 (Background changed to 0xff00ff for upload, originally 0x000000 as masks are created in game code)
Rips are as original game files, so there are duplicates for each level with monor changes.

AVTCHAT.EGA
[Image: i%5D?raw=1]

AVTFORA.EGA

AVTFORB.EGA

AVTFORC.EGA

AVTPLA.EGA

AVTVIL.EGA

BOOK.EGA

ENEM1.EGA

ENEM2.EGA

ENEM3.EGA

ENEM4.EGA

MONSTER.EGA

SPRITE.EGA

SPRITE2.EGA
Thanked by:
Simply beautiful rips =)

Btw I just noticed that Dennis has a few more animations, like going through doors. The arms for Mr. Wilson on the other hand appear to be separate objects like they are on SNES.
Thanked by: