Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ripping models from Gorillaz Presents Mobile app
Hi all,

Gorillaz have just released an app which allows a user to watch a live performance in AR, and I think this app includes 3D models of each of the band members. I tried downloading a APK of the app, and noticed that it comes with a "unity.3d" file, however, I think it is missing a bulk of the content (mainly res files which I've been told contains the bulk of asset data) which leads me to believe that the app downloads more content once launched. Also, every tutorial I've seen for doing this usually has a lot more files in the base apk (mainly res files.) I tried loading the app through bluestacks to see if this was the case, however, it is incompatible with it. I even tried using a APK editor app to see if I could force it to install, which it did, but it just wouldn't launch and hung on a black screen. I would try doing this on an actual android phone but I don't own one, hence why I tried using BS.

Here is what the file directory looks like

Does anyone have any suggestions for a way I could get access to those extra files? Even better, if anyone could access those files for me if they have an android device? For what its worth, I tried importing the unity files the APK base came with into AssetStudio, but I got a whole bunch of errors of where I assume it can't find the content it needs.

If you guys need any more info, I'll gladly post more!

Thanks!
Thanked by:
Hi!

I do have an android phone, and I was able to grab the files the app downloaded. Even though I can't make heads or tails of them, (I like fiddling around with these things but I don't exactly understand them Shy ) I figured I'd post them here in case you or anyone else here can figure out something I couldn't.

Here are the files I was able to extract: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mKfns_q...share_link

I put both the files from the .APK and the com.nexusstudio.gorillaz presents folder into one big folder and opened that folder in AssetStudio and I also got a ton of errors, but I was able to get the untextured models of the screens at least. Which... a bunch of untextured boxes isn't too exciting but hey, it's something, I guess.
Thanked by:
(12-17-2022, 08:16 PM)Thunderlina Wrote: Hi!

I do have an android phone, and I was able to grab the files the app downloaded. Even though I can't make heads or tails of them, (I like fiddling around with these things but I don't exactly understand them Shy ) I figured I'd post them here in case you or anyone else here can figure out something I couldn't.

Here are the files I was able to extract: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mKfns_q...share_link

I put both the files from the .APK and the com.nexusstudio.gorillaz presents folder into one big folder and opened that folder in AssetStudio and I also got a ton of errors, but I was able to get the untextured models of the screens at least. Which... a bunch of untextured boxes isn't too exciting but hey, it's something, I guess.

Hey! Thank you so much! I was actually able to retrieve the files a little bit ago and forgot to update here, but I'll definitely check out these files too!
Thanked by:
So, have you made any progress?
Thanked by:
I can't condone piracy, but I can suggest a couple of things. It's possible that the missing files are downloaded once the app is launched, so you may need to find a way to intercept that download. Alternatively, you could try reaching out to the app developers and asking if they have any resources available for developers or artists who are interested in using the models. Another option would be to check out the Unity Asset Store to see if there are any similar models available for purchase or download. Hope that helps, and good luck with your project! Oh, and don't forget to check out Smart Engines for any image recognition needs you may have.
Thanked by:
hey did you update the files ?
Thanked by: