Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope Ripping Help
Trying to figure out how to convert the .sdfdata files into something coherent so I can view some of the weapons in Noesis to upload here, but the BMS script I'm using for them doesn't seem to be working. Does anyone know how I can convert these files in another way, or just know of a better way to do it besides the BMS Script? (Game uses Ubisoft Snowdrop engine, if that helps).

Thanked by:
im trying to get some insight on this as well with no luck
Thanked by:
Exclamation 
(12-01-2022, 01:17 AM)AGoodNamedMan Wrote: Trying to figure out how to convert the .sdfdata files into something coherent so I can view some of the weapons in Noesis to upload here, but the BMS script I'm using for them doesn't seem to be working. Does anyone know how I can convert these files in another way, or just know of a better way to do it besides the BMS Script? (Game uses Ubisoft Snowdrop engine, if that helps).

I extracted Kingdom Battle with the .SDF QuickBMS script and uploaded countless models without issues, but am getting nowhere with Sparks of Hope. It uses the exact same FS, so I don't have a clue to why is wouldn't just extract normally. QuickBMS just keeps saying "open input folder" and "open output folder" continually, until stopped.
Yo, I'm DJ_Fox11! A passionate model ripper that's also a DJing fox!

Currently ripping from: Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario RPG (Switch), Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Thanked by:
Any updates on this?
Thanked by:
(06-16-2023, 01:41 AM)RabbidModeler64 Wrote: Any updates on this?

No, not yet sadly. Hopefully we’ll get some information soon!

Currently ripping from: Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario RPG (Switch), Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Thanked by:
I've successfully extracted from both Kingdom Battle and Sparks of hope with the same tools now.

You'll need:
Yuzu (release 29.06.2023 or newer)
Switch Toolbox (v1.0.260)
Noesis + The Division .mmb plugin (https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?t=14374)
Blender or other 3D Suite

older versions of toolbox will fail and create "0 byte" files.

- Load game in emulator, apply any patches or DLCs you need, Dump RomFS.
- open sdf.sdftoc in switch toolbox, extract raw data for whatever you need (usually some characters inside /moria/baked/*/art/characters/...)
- open extracted .mmb files in noesis and export to FBX
- load fbx in Blender, edit mode, normals -> "set from faces" on the mesh to auto-repair the messed up normals
- rigs seem to work just fine  you get the deform bones, but unfortunately the bone weights are messed up.

I can't convert any of the dds textures though since no tool I tried manages to open them. That's where I'm stuck now.
Ok so apparently instead of dumping the dds files raw, toolbox can open them in the file editor and export as png.
Thanked by: DJ_Fox11
(06-29-2023, 03:17 PM)JawSFM Wrote: - open sdf.sdftoc in switch toolbox, extract raw data for whatever you need (usually some characters inside /moria/baked/art/characters/...)
AFAIK, looking through the sdf.SDFTOC in Switch Toolbox didn’t contain any models, only textures and other stuff, this was why I extracted all of the sdf.SDFDATA files to get the entire FS through a quickBMS script to get any models. I haven’t done this with Sparks of Hope, so maybe it’s different.

Would you be able to explain a bit more about the .DDS textures in Switch Toolbox, there were heaps that would never load.

DJ~

Thanked by:
I suspect it might be the latest updates to the Toolbox that made the difference here. I tried with 1.0.240 and absolutely nothing worked right. Going to 1.0.260 and I have a texture export failure rate of only about 1 in 10. Good enough for now.
Make sure to use "File->open" and not one of the other options. loading the entire rom via toc takes longer, but on the other hand you get the whole picture. Models are in the rigging folders, as before.
I can't comment on QuickBMS, since that didn't work on Sparks of Hope at all.

https://imgur.com/a/uxU5khh

Here's a screenshot of how it should look like. If the texture doesn't show up in the file preview it also won't export correctly.
Use the file->export option and switch to something like png or tiff. Alpha channels are kept intact as long as you don't use jpeg or bmp.
Thanked by:
Oh! I forgot one important thing, the mmb model files in Kingdom Battle are in a different place actually, in /baked/art/ANIMATION/01-chr/...
Noesis seems to have issues trying to load some of them, while others are fine. Need to investigate more. Probably subtle differences that the Division script doesn't expect.
Thanked by:
If some models don’t load in Noesis, and you get an error, you’ll need to merge them together via hex. I have an in-depth guide for M+R KB model ripping here: https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-41586.html

I don’t know if I’m missing something or what, but I can’t get any models at all from the sdf.SDFTOC from Sparks of Hope, just like Kingdom Battle, the models are in the hundreds of sdf.SDFDATA files. (I think, currently away.)

DJ~

Thanked by:
I don't get two different mmb files when using toolbox to view or extract, so that might be the problem.

the "toc" in .sdftoc is short for "table of contents". All it does is pull all the sdf files together into one giant file structure. No idea why it wouldn't be working. Best update the swiitch firmware and keys as well and then re-extract.
The good noes is that most things in kongdom battle are present in Sparks of hope, too, apparently some even in higher quality.
Thanked by:
(06-30-2023, 07:33 PM)JawSFM Wrote: I don't get two different mmb files when using toolbox to view or extract, so that might be the problem.

That’s why I extracted all of the sdf.SDFDATA files using quickBMS. The quickBMS script doesn’t work with the Sparks of Hope files. So I’m still don’t really understand how you managed to get models from it without quickBMS.

DJ~

Thanked by:
(06-30-2023, 09:38 PM)DJ_Fox11 Wrote:
(06-30-2023, 07:33 PM)JawSFM Wrote: I don't get two different mmb files when using toolbox to view or extract, so that might be the problem.

That’s why I extracted all of the sdf.SDFDATA files using quickBMS. The quickBMS script doesn’t work with the Sparks of Hope files. So I’m still don’t really understand how you managed to get models from it without quickBMS.

DJ~

Sparks of hope models, as single files, all(!) load into Noesis without a hitch when extracted via Toolbox. The noesis/split file problems only seem to exist in Kingdom exclusively.
Thanked by:
(07-01-2023, 09:55 AM)JawSFM Wrote: Sparks of hope models, as single files, all(!) load into Noesis without a hitch when extracted via Toolbox. The noesis/split file problems only seem to exist in Kingdom exclusively.

Gotcha, I’ll have a crack at Sparks of Hope models when I get back from my holiday. Thanks heaps! ?

DJ~

Thanked by:
Finally managed to rip models and textures from this game after going through several hoops... only to be met with just abysmal, broken rigging, as well as similarly broken vectors. I technically got the models and textures, but while I can just reset the vectors and have it look mostly fine, just having them sit in t-pose unfortunately renders them useless.

[Image: 840Isyr.png]

At least I got the materials working, if nothing else.

[Image: 70L61cn.png]

A little weird to me how there's virtually nothing(?) being done about creating proper tools for cracking the format though, as there are a lot of cool and creative assets that are pretty much just being slept on here. Maybe that shiny new Rayman model will further interest in cracking the format once it drops lol
Thanked by: