Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
MFG's Collection of Rips
Some rips are harder to organise than others given their versatility (e.g. palettes) and complexity (e.g. multiple layers) so this thread will be used as a discussion for some of my more complex rips.

My first rip I want to publically show off (given how it's a bit more complicated than the spotlight "revision" I made) is the layer 3 sunset, a complete rerip of the existing submission because it's missing the upper half of the tilemap (unused clouds, check out e.g. 3-1 in a debugger), the gradient (why old rip?) and colour animation, not to mention it has both versions within a single file. Given the challenge to organise it (because I want to separate the tilemap from the gradient and there are four frames of the background + placeholders), I first want to post it here before I make it a proper submission.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by: Barack Obama, Ton
Oh wow. Yoshi's Island is one of the games most in need of attention on the site. This is absolutely incredible.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
Very detailed rip, wonderful work.
Ripping Tutorial for PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16 / TurboGrafx CD
https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-41637.html
Thanked by: Ton
And... another rip finished. EDIT: ALMOST finished! I forgot the 16x16 tiles. This time it's about the 3D Stone tileset:

Thanked by: Barack Obama
And... flatbed ferries done:

FYI, the smaller platforms only exist in form of the red "rope" which is seen at the end of 1-7, they only were included for their theme with the alternative colours for completion.
Thanked by:
Some other rips I made but didn't feel to post them publically:
  • Updated the fortress background with blue palette and full height.
  • The numbered platforms with their prominent 4-3 appearance were added (though there are alternative colours such as 6-7).
  • The crystal cave layer 3 foreground (e.g. 3-1) also has been added.
  • (In moderation) Updated the pine forest background to include brown palette (e.g. 4-5)
Thanked by: Ton
Added:
  • The big balloon at the end of 4-3
  • Most pushable objects

In addition, I have been working on ripping all the standard gradients ("standard" means the colour which is tied to the level's background colour, not the special ones like the sunset gradient):

The gradients were ripped using a self-made script which replicates the gradient algorithm and processes the result into an image. I may or may not add the palette, the colours which are used to generate the gradients.
Are they identical with what you see in Golden Egg? Really nice, saves me some work.
Thanked by:
Assuming the underlying algorithm is functionally the same, they should be. In fact, they're even more accurate because Golden Egg extends the top of the gradient when Yoshi's Island only does so with the bottommost colour.
Ripping the waterfall castle background:

Alongside with the gradients, I'll add the palette (this background uses colour animations) later on.
Thanked by:
Ah, I already ripped and submitted that a few days ago. For some reason, the revision for Nemica's old sheet takes longer than expected.

In fact, after I'm done with the waterfall / lava cave, all backgrounds should be complete. I will doublecheck Peardian's maps on MarioUniverse but I am pretty sure this is it.
Thanked by: MarioFanGamer
(11-22-2022, 07:36 AM)Barack Obama Wrote: Ah, I already ripped and submitted that a few days ago. For some reason, the revision for Nemica's old sheet takes longer than expected.

In fact, after I'm done with the waterfall / lava cave, all backgrounds should be complete. I will doublecheck Peardian's maps on MarioUniverse but I am pretty sure this is it.
Ah, okay. I can understand why you're waiting, given that I have submitted a revision to some older sheets (e.g. the Numbered Platform to include the palettes of 4-3 and 6-7) and they took longer than compared to previous time.

I also have just submitted a revision to the 5-8 background since there also exist a layer 3 version of it (used in the first half of 5-8). Could be ripped by your as well but you never know.
Thanked by:
Hm, do you have any specific things you want to rip? Makes it easier before things get ripped twice.
Thanked by:
I wanted to rip the overground waterfall (e.g. 3-3) and forest backgrounds as well as re-ripping the layer 3 castle background but I'll otherwise focus on sprites. Well, these backgrounds are already revised so nevermind. I still do the various sprites, though.

Edit: For example, I'm ripping all the flower non-enemy sprites:

I'll also add their various animations in the game which is why the sunflower (the one you can climb on), whose animation is surprisingly complex, hasn't been added to the sheet (yet).

I also have planned to (re-)rip the Blargg family since the small ones are missing while the big ones should get their in-game appearance, not to mention the colour animation of the laval Blargg.

I've also sent some a revision to the item icons because their colours are inaccurate and to the numbered platforms because someone erroneously changed the 3 and 4 to green and blue without considering that I used the 4-3 while the revisor just changed the numbers' colours of 6-7 but kept the shading the same.
Thanked by: Ton, Barack Obama
I'm in the process of ripping the intro, more specifically, all the backgrounds:

What I'm missing right now is the Nintendo presents which mostly has to do with the fact that Yoshi's Island switches between Mode 0 (for the text) and Mode 1 (the rest of the intro) and Mesen-S, which I use to rip, always displays the data of the last scanline in the debugger when paused nor is able to override the current PPU settings like BSNES+.

The sprites will all be ripped separately, for that matter.
Thanked by: Barack Obama, Ton