Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Help on ripping 32x games
Hello, I've came to ask on how to rip sprites from 32x games. I am trying to rip from the game Cosmic Carnage/Cyber Brawl, but I can't find any sort of tile viewer on GensKMOD for the 32x sprites of the game (Fighters, stages, etc). I would really like any help if provided.
Thanked by:
Ripping from 32X games is very difficult and why there are so few rips on the site. Wanted to rip some 32X games myself and just learnt a few things thanks to your call for help...

To explain things, the 32X in terms of hardware is different than the Genesis and a bit of a mess (unlike the Sega CD where that has an extra 68000 processor and a scaling/rotation chip). Emulation on the 32X is also worse as it uses some hacks and isn't perfect, it also doesn't help that Genesis emulators usually skip the addon due to a lack of interest (GenesisPlusGX, Exodus). Not even BizHawk that I use to rip the Mega Drive and Sega CD has ripping functions for the 32X due to using a different emulation core. This means that emulators are out of the question...

Chaotix had its research done due to being a Sonic game and why that is more or less ripped, Kolibiri uses more of the Genesis hardware and Doom is well... Doom.

Tried going into the ROM but not much luck... It's because Sega likes to compress their ROMs, Cosmic Carnage is only 3MB and most of the library are 3-4MB in size meaning that you'll be lucky to find something. Had a look using TileGGD just for you regarding the 32X and some results... Both bad yet some good news. Did manage to find some spark thingy, fonts/Sega logo from Metal Head, font/course layouts/various text from Virtua Racing Deluxe and some (wall/floor?) textures from the prototype X-Men game. The biggest breakthroughs are Space Harrier and BC Racers where TileGGD can view most of the sprites and a nifty 16bpp picture for the former. I also found something from Tempo and Fred Couples Golf that uses the Genesis format for some of its graphics.

It's going to be very time consuming but found a way to rip the fighters. Make a savestate in Gens and view it in TileGGD. Just to let you know, the fighters are made of parts. Only thing that I have yet to figure out is the palette.

For TileGGD, from playing around the 32X is split between 8bpp Linear and 4bpp tiled (Genesis format) outside of the Space Harrier picture and one Metal Head font (2bpp). Hope this helps and good luck.
Thanked by:
(07-27-2022, 09:20 PM)Yawackhary Wrote: Ripping from 32X games is very difficult and why there are so few rips on the site. Wanted to rip some 32X games myself and just learnt a few things thanks to your call for help...

To explain things, the 32X in terms of hardware is different than the Genesis and a bit of a mess (unlike the Sega CD where that has an extra 68000 processor and a scaling/rotation chip). Emulation on the 32X is also worse as it uses some hacks and isn't perfect, it also doesn't help that Genesis emulators usually skip the addon due to a lack of interest (GenesisPlusGX, Exodus). Not even BizHawk that I use to rip the Mega Drive and Sega CD has ripping functions for the 32X due to using a different emulation core. This means that emulators are out of the question...

Chaotix had its research done due to being a Sonic game and why that is more or less ripped, Kolibiri uses more of the Genesis hardware and Doom is well... Doom.

Tried going into the ROM but not much luck... It's because Sega likes to compress their ROMs, Cosmic Carnage is only 3MB and most of the library are 3-4MB in size meaning that you'll be lucky to find something. Had a look using TileGGD just for you regarding the 32X and some results... Both bad yet some good news. Did manage to find some spark thingy, fonts/Sega logo from Metal Head, font/course layouts/various text from Virtua Racing Deluxe and some (wall/floor?) textures from the prototype X-Men game. The biggest breakthroughs are Space Harrier and BC Racers where TileGGD can view most of the sprites and a nifty 16bpp picture for the former. I also found something from Tempo and Fred Couples Golf that uses the Genesis format for some of its graphics.

It's going to be very time consuming but found a way to rip the fighters. Make a savestate in Gens and view it in TileGGD. Just to let you know, the fighters are made of parts. Only thing that I have yet to figure out is the palette.

For TileGGD, from playing around the 32X is split between 8bpp Linear and 4bpp tiled (Genesis format) outside of the Space Harrier picture and one Metal Head font (2bpp). Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out TileGGD and check if I have any luck. I am very aware of the fighters being in multiple pieces, but I'll still give it a try.
Thanked by: