Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Adding a game with out the game creators consent
Question 
Okay so, Imagine you were me, and wanted to add a game that you absolutely adore. Your first action would be; Ask the creators consent, But what if I was like; "Naaaah! of course they would let me do that!" And then just added the game with no hesitation. Would that be dumb of me to do? If so, what if I do ask the creators consent but they didn't respond? What would I do now?

(Also before anyone asks, this is exclusively for more modern 2d games/ fangames, So no games from the 1990's or 2000's )
Thanked by:
Hmm...

Just depends on the type of game. If you adore the game and there's no easy way of contacting the creators or they didn't respond then personally it's completely fine to rip the game. It's because you tried to show some interest in the game and respect for the developers. There might be possible reasons why they didn't respond (old email/social media account, personal reasons or even the developer has passed away). If it's an indie game/fan game/hack and the developers can be contacted with having a strong social media presence then it gets really tricky whether to rip the game or not. Won't say that it's dumb to rip otherwise there would be barely any rips at all but it's all down to the person or the developer. Some people have notorious personalities while others are more chill, it's easier to tell on the likes of say itch.io games than it is for an indie game that you can also get on PS4 or Switch unless said developer is vocal on social media. People usually tend to rip anyway.

Ripping is always risky business. Besides how do you know that they'll think "Naaaah! of course they would let me do that!"? They might think "Ugh... don't want those sprites to be shown off..." or even worse if it is more of a high profile 2D game "C&D." As it happens, look at the reasons why rips get taken down. Outside of Epic, they come from hack authors, fan games or indie games as well as mobile stuff and PC games. Their reason is usually "We don't want those sprites to be shown off and have people edit them..." Ironically you probably have a better chance ripping from a commercial game sometimes. 

So yeah, it's up to you and how you feel.
Thanked by: