Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
ilovescratchcie's Custom sprite gallery!
Question 
What's wrong with it?

Thanked by:
Hiya!

Before anything else, I recommend going over the forum rules. If I'm not mistaken, you made a similar post yesterday. These forums aren't super active, so it may be a while before anyone can get to you. Remember, patience is a virtue.

Now as to your sheet, well frankly it doesn't meet the quality standards of the site. I'm sure your rejection message said something similar, but we can go into a bit more detail.

1.) Your sheet is inconsistent. In some of the frames you've colored Sonic's arms in like they are in the movie version, but in a lot of them you didn't. On top of that, the places where Sonic's arms are colored in, they don't really match the shading or style of the rest of the sheet. Similarly, the sign Sonic holds isn't shaded like the rest of the sheet.

2.) Your sheet is unfinished. The Jump/Roll and Spindash aren't actually animated. If these where to be put into a game, it would look like Sonic transformed into a static circle, not like he was spinning.

3.) It looks like you just slightly modified another person's work. Other than the run and peel out, it looks like you took an already existing Sonic sheet, changed the eyes a little, added some blue over the flesh color in some frames and painted over the rolling moves.

It's perfectly fine to look at other sources as reference, but simply painting over another person's work is theft. It doesn't help you grow and it doesn't look good, aesthetically or morally.

I recommend starting this entire process from scratch. First look up movie Sonic and see how he differs visually from the Sonic of the games. You are already at a good start with the arm color, but there are some other subtle differences as well. Focus on those!

I'd then try to just make a single idle sprite, don't worry about animation yet. You can have a sheet up for reference, but use it as a guide rather than a set rule.

Start with that and then, if you need it, ask for help. Odds are if you are new to spriting, it'll take a while before you have something you are super happy with. And you know what? That's absolutely fine. Any skill takes a while to build up. We all start out as beginners and work our way up. I have a ton of old sprites that I think look awful. I thought they looked awful when I made them frankly, but I like keeping them around just to see how much I've grown.

Best of luck my friend! Keep practicing and doing your best and you'll have something awesome in no time!
By the way the sonic sprites are based on Sonic 3
Thanked by:
Done!     
Thanked by:
(04-08-2022, 11:14 PM)ilovescratchcie Wrote: By the way the sonic sprites are based on Sonic 3

I figured it was Sonic 3, but I'm not really an old school Sonic expert.

(04-09-2022, 02:02 AM)ilovescratchcie Wrote: Done! 

With all due respect, this sprite sheet is not done. I won't repeat what I have already said, but look over your sheet again. You should probably also make a .gif of your animations and check them in motion, its easier to see any oddities when the animation is going. I will elaborate on the third point of my previous post as it is the most important and I think I failed to make that clear.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt as, like I mentioned, I'm not really an old school Sonic expert, but if you did take a preexisting sprite sheet, or even just parts of a preexisting sheet, copy and paste from it and then modify those copies slightly, the odds of your sheet getting into the customs section is essentially zero. Taking another person's work, changing it a little bit, and then passing if off as your own doesn't make it your work. It is a form of theft. You wouldn't take a book, change all the proper nouns and say that your wrote it, right? To get your sheet into the customs section you need to make the sprites.

I mentioned some strategies on how to start spriting in my earlier post and there are plenty of tutorials in the forums to look over as well. On top of that, you can always try reaching out to spriters and pixel artists whose work you enjoy for pointers. They may not always respond mind you, and we should always be courteous to those we ask for help, even if they don't end up helping us, but it never hurts to try and reach out.
I should name it Sonic (Movie, Mega Drive style)
Thanked by:
Or Sonic (Movie, S3 style)
Thanked by:
W.i.p super sonic

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by:
I love it! Especially the old movie design. It's so derpy!
Thanked by:
I'm going to be brutally honest here. The reason it was rejected in the first place is that it's a cheap edit of S3K Sonic, scaled at 2x with mixels going on, and looks nothing like his movie design at all. Sorry but it had to be said. Being in the spriting community for a long time, these kind of edits are usually frowned upon these days.
[Image: sonamy_animtitle_by_retrobunyip-dbg86ov.gif]
Thanked by: DogToon64, Spriter Theo
Palette update!

Thanked by:
I've started a custom sprite gallery!
Here's Sonic (Movie, 3&K-style)

Thanked by:
Fixed chaos energy

Thanked by:
Made a new spritesheet

Thanked by:
All of your sheets are blown up and stretched and warped to weird sizes.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: DogToon64, Dolphman